What would happen if you hit the start button going down the freeway?

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
The latest Camaro key recall go me thinking. What would happen to the CX-5 if one accidentally pushed the start button while going down the freeway? Is the car smart enough to keep engine running? If not, that would be dangerous. Then again, you might want it to turn off in an emergency such as gas pedal stuck down. Maybe they should install a key. (shrug)

Page 4-9 of the owners' manual:

Emergency Engine Stop
Continuously pressing the push button
start while the engine is running or the
vehicle being driven, or quickly pressing
it any number of times will turn the
engine off immediately. The ignition
position will be ACC.

hmm. so you can use this to put the car in "radio mode'" instead of going into netural

Emergency Engine Stop
position will be ACC.

Any number of times? Guess that includes one push. Good thing CX-5 doesn't have steering wheel lock. (boom01)

I think the manual's entry is a sort of bad translation from Japanese. An accidental push won't do much. You need to hold it down or stab at it a bunch. An interesting question is, does the electric steering and airbags work in ACC mode? This was a big part of the deadly problem with the Cobalt.

If the accelerator is stuck somehow the brakes will definitely overcome it - even massively powered cars at full throttle are easily stopped by standing on the brakes - and you can also shift to park or neutral. Although in a car with an electronic throttle, pressing the brake pedal should shut down the flow.

Emergency Engine Stop
position will be ACC.

hmm. so you can use this to put the car in "radio mode'" instead of going into netural

I did three tests today.
1) car stationary, running, in drive, foot on brake, hit start button, engine turns off and radio continues playing
2) car stationary, running, in neutral, foot on brake, hit start button, engine turns off and radio continues playing
3) car stationary, running, in park, foot on brake, hit start button, engine turns off and radio stops playing

Afraid to do any rolling tests hitting start button. The transmission might be damaged if engine turns off while in gear and rolling.
NOTE: 1&2 could be dangerous if you are not on level surface as you lose power brakes when engine dies and not in park.

Afraid to do any rolling tests hitting start button. The transmission might be damaged if engine turns off while in gear and rolling.
NOTE: 1&2 could be dangerous if you are not on level surface as you lose power brakes when engine dies and not in park.

I've tested the drivability with the engine off. It does take a lot more force to steer and brake but I would only be concerned about it at higher speeds (above 45 or 50 mph) or if the strength of my steering and braking muscles were compromised.

Not sure about transmission damage coasting in neutral, I think it isn't recommended but it's probably not an issue for a couple of minutes, particularly at reasonable speeds.

I did three tests today.
1) car stationary, running, in drive, foot on brake, hit start button, engine turns off and radio continues playing
2) car stationary, running, in neutral, foot on brake, hit start button, engine turns off and radio continues playing
3) car stationary, running, in park, foot on brake, hit start button, engine turns off and radio stops playing

How long do you have to hold down the start key?

It will stop the engine while it's moving and yes you can still steer the car but without power steering. Don't ask me how I know that...(whistle)

Also you can damage the transmission because the transmission pump won't be pumping oil to the bearings.

Did this a couple weeks ago since nav was being odd and I wanted to hard reboot it.

- 70mph, put the car in neutral, hit start, shut the car off.
- Coasted for a quick few seconds (still in neutral), car fired right back up.

Now had I known pulling the SD card would have done the same thing... (sssh)

So did you lose power steering and braking?

You will loose power steering and power brakes. However, at 70 mph, you don't need the power steering for minor steering corrections and many folks may not realize they have lost it just rolling down the freeway. Start to make an evasive or emergency maneuver and you will figure it out. Brakes have a reserve capacity, normally 3 or so full applications, so again, most folks wouldn't recognize the loss of power brakes.

You will loose power steering and power brakes. However, at 70 mph, you don't need the power steering for minor steering corrections and many folks may not realize they have lost it just rolling down the freeway. Start to make an evasive or emergency maneuver and you will figure it out. Brakes have a reserve capacity, normally 3 or so full applications, so again, most folks wouldn't recognize the loss of power brakes.

This sums it up... I made sure I was in a situation (god forbidding) that I wasn't going to need to apply my brakes. Steering went slightly heavy, but at spend with narrow rubber it was still completely drivable.

I had to hit the start button to bring the engine back on.

Back