What tire size for RX-8 wheels

I just picked up a set of 18x8 RX-8 wheels(52.5mm offset). I don't plan on lowering the car, so I'm debating whether to go with 225/45-18 or 215/45-18. The 225s would fit the 8" rims better, but I don't want any rubbing/fender rolling issues. Thanks for any and all help!

I put 225/45s on mine. The only fender contact is sometimes on driveway transitions. FWIW, I believe you'll find the offset is 50mm. The OEMs are 52.5mm

Running stock ride height and you reconsider rolling the rear fenders then go 245/40's. They are the closest diameter to stock running RX8 wheels on a MS3. 235/40's are 6mm shorter than stock compared to 245's which are only 2mm taller than stock. 225/45's are 8mm taller than stock and you won't get as much meat on the road compared with running a 235 or 245. Only issue with 245's is you'll definitely need to roll the inside of your rear fenders. If rolling is not an option for you then go 235's.

I Ain't makin this stuff up either. I used this wheel/tire calculator here for a side by side comparison:

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Last edited:
Im on rx-8's kumho ecsta, 225-45 BC coilovers, stock camber. Donked at 26-1/4 at the fender

I rubbz on rare occasion alone, and with peeps in the back, I rub

Dunno what I rub, but its hittin sumthin

I just picked up a set of 18x8 RX-8 wheels(52.5mm offset). I don't plan on lowering the car, so I'm debating whether to go with 225/45-18 or 215/45-18. The 225s would fit the 8" rims better, but I don't want any rubbing/fender rolling issues. Thanks for any and all help!

wait, the stock tire size will fit on an 18x8 rim? I'm new to tires, but if I don't have to replace my summers just yet I'd like to not spend $700 on tires with half my tread left.

clarification: will 215/45-18 fit an 18x8 wheel?

wait, the stock tire size will fit on an 18x8 rim? I'm new to tires, but if I don't have to replace my summers just yet I'd like to not spend $700 on tires with half my tread left.

clarification: will 215/45-18 fit an 18x8 wheel?

Yes, virtually all 215/45-18 tires -including the RE050A- have a rim width range of 7"-8".

Yes, virtually all 215/45-18 tires -including the RE050A- have a rim width range of 7"-8".
sweet, I checked my tire's specs and it says it'll fit rims from 7-8" (General Exclaim UHP). Awesome! Now instead of tires I can get stuff for my new place!

sweet, I checked my tire's specs and it says it'll fit rims from 7-8" (General Exclaim UHP). Awesome! Now instead of tires I can get stuff for my new place!

I have those tires in 235/40 on RX8 wheels, no rubbing at all and i can even lower with Cobb springs and still don't rub as there's enough clearance. I will post pics for those that want it.

some days I wish I was still at byron-jackson pump

I have a good 3/4 between the tire and strut

I could toss those wheels up in my old TUDA lathe and face off .400 and not rubz nuthin after.

without all that rollin, anz beatin, anz pullin

Last edited:
some days I wish I was still at byron-jackson pump

I have a good 3/4 between the tire and strut

I could toss those wheels up in my old TUDA lathe and face off .400 and not rubz nuthin after.

without all that rollin, anz beatin, anz pullin

but there were no 31 year old hot disallusioned nurses at Byron-Jackson

Last edited:
I'll echo the calls for a 235/40.

I'm on my third set with my RX-8 wheels. They might kiss the inner fender lip from time to time (under VERY hard mid-corner bumps, or when the back is fully loaded), but I have no actual fender damage to prove it (just some strange wear marks that show on the tires from time to time) and I can't say that I've ever really felt/heard any fender or fender liner contact.

I have a fender roller, but I've never gotten around to rolling my fenders. I have the stock wheels/tires back on right now (warranty work) but I think I might give the fenders a quick, mild roll before I throw the RX-8 wheels back on just for good measure.

OK, I just got my new wheels. It turns out they AREN'T off an RX-8; instead, they are off a 2010 MS3(18X7.5, +52.5 offset). Suits me fine, but does that change anyone's tire recommendations?

Hmm...

Most tire manufacturers recommend a minimum width of 8" for most of their 235/40s, as far as I know.

With that in mind, you might be best off using the OEM '10 MS3 tire size, which is 225/40/R18.

I got RX-8 wheels a few month ago for my MS3 and I had the same concern as you.. I got 235/40 star specs which run wide.. so they're even wider than they're supposed to be. They work very very well, it eliminated a ton of wheel hop before I got my RMM.

I didn't have any rubbing issue until I hit a bumb...HARD. And it bent a little bit of that lip so now whenever I hit a large bump it rubs a little bit and small strands come off the edge of the tire. I have a fender roller coming in the mail so I'm hoping to take care of that soon..

Depending on where you live, I think 235/40 is the way to go. Just watch yourself on huge bumps, like you have to hit it hard to rub with that size. I had the same question and everyone on here recommended that size to me so I went with it, absolutely no regrets.

Back