What have you done to your MSP today?

I removed my turbo to replace my exhaust mani and fix the exhaust leak that I have. I also took it upon myself to inspect the turbo... and what i found out is the WG flange thing backed out a little. Thus not letting the wastegate close completely... New/used T25 exhaust housing on and to install it all back again tomorrow. Amazingly I really didn’t have a hard time with the removal. The hardest part was the stupid oil lines.
It took me roughly 2.5hrs to remove it all. Most of that was trying to figure out how to get the lines off without taking a chance of messing them up. I’m also in the process of sealing my stupid headlight.

I think I might ask Focus if he dropped that turbo I purchased from him awhile back ago.... yes I’m just now getting around to it. Nothing bad happened to the turbo but the WGA flange was bent all to hell. I couldn’t bend it back without that stupid pin thing falling out. Either way I can’t wait to get it back together again and see how much better it runs!

Oh and the previous owner had removed the turbo and all that before…. Everything was super easy to get off and one of the studs was already broken..

Side question.... but does anyone any tricks on getting that bottom stud tight on the s-pipe(the one under the bend)? The previous owner didnt even get that oen tight and it appears that they used a hammer and a flat head screw driver to get it on right... Yes I know this post is all over the place….

Pics or it didnt happen, lol i had to

finally found a pretty nice crack in my exhaust manifold and found out I'm missing the bottom left bolt from the manifold... AGAIN!!! No fixing that though, time to upgrade. Steedspeed here I come, after I get back from Iraq though

ha. im missing both the bolts on the pass side of cylinder 1 ha. have been for a while but im def waiting to get a steedspeed and arp studs.

still fighting with this compressor surge. its less noticable now but still annoying. it was mentioned to drill a hole between the two chambers to equalize the pressure. if i was to try this, how big a hole and where should it be located?
my last effort would be to drill a hole somewhere in my hotpipe and reinstall the stock bpv. but after 110000 km im worried about it leaking.
i don't really have any room to recirculate it so would just be venting it.

Fought with the car all freaking day.. you would think installing it would be easier then uninstalling the old turbo.. boy was I wrong on that.. Two bolt holes on the head had to be retapped when verifying that everythign fit in perfectly BEFORE we started the install. One of the retapped holes stripped when installing the exhaust mani and another felt liek it stripped before it even got snug!! Both on each end on the top row... The pass side is the one bolt that backs out all the time for some reason and goes MIA on me. They dont feel loose by hand so hopefully they wont leak... if not maybe i can retap it without having ot remove the exhaust mani.

Also the EGR thing on the exhaust mani had to be transfered over to the new one... and not im haivng a issue with a stupid oil line with a stripped or I think stripped allen head tahts about 98% in. I also sealed up my driver side headlight so no more foggy headlight.

Oh and no pics.. to busy playing mech but I'l get pics of the two exhaust housings that arn't on the car.

changed the oil today and swapped out to ZFR7F plugs. really dont feel any difference though the car seems to idle smoother.
might be getting time to replace the coilpacks and wires soon..

car still feels pretty slow. dunno if running blow through made any difference or not.

changed the oil today and swapped out to ZFR7F plugs. really dont feel any difference though the car seems to idle smoother.
might be getting time to replace the coilpacks and wires soon..

car still feels pretty slow. dunno if running blow through made any difference or not.

so what'd i do to the msp today? i dont have one. but i woke up at 630 am to work on Matrix's car. put a stock fuel pump in, and a rear motor mount, outside, in the 10* cold..or so..

New turbo in with no leaks! The oil return line was a bear to get leak free but finally its done. Now tomorrow put the bumper and grill back on and check all fluids one more time. This is the first time I've ever really heard that turbo spool in the car below 4k rpms.

The Scary part is the car feels faster now running ONLY 4lbs of boost compared to the 6.5/7lbs earlier 4 days ago.

Last edited:
Here you can see the WG backed out by how much is coming out of the top and if you look you can barely see where it rubs up by the wg shaft. The second pic is fully closed when it hangs.

crap001.jpg

crap002.jpg

Here is what it's supposed to look like minus the bent flange

crap004.jpg

This thing is your buddy if you need to remove one EGR male/male thing from one mani and put it in another.

crap007.jpg

And here is my bumper sag fix for those who have the Perrin/TurboLife FMIC setup. One of the self tapping screws backed out on me.

crap008.jpg

Last edited:
I bypassed the fuel pressure sensor (I think thats what it was) as I had read in a thread and it seemed to run a little smoother and reduce hesitation. Not an extremely noticeable difference but if you have an untuned MSP it's worth a shot.

Well anytime we had to wire in a piggyback or something, we always had to put in a pull down resistor because the MAF voltage would be too high. The factory ecu has one on it's input circuitry... Try starting it like I told you and see if it does anything.

remember when my car was spitting gaz through the exhaust? lol

Never did get an answer about drilling the bov to fix surge. Is my only other option with ssqv to keep the stock bpv or similar?

I'm running an ssqv with the stock bypass, no surge at all during normal driving, moderate and spirited( cough cough) driving. By the way, my SSQV is non adjustable

I'm running the SSQV V3 with a forge BPV and no surging either. It's not the optimal setup, but it works well enough for now.

Back