What have you done to your MSP today?

a sad day =( our community is dieing fast.. i doubt the new owners will treat the cars nearly the same =(

It's been dying. It was dying in 2011 When I moved from a P5 to the MSP. The "well-known" And well-versed MSP owners were ditching them then. They just need owners like us. And they're out there. Few though, but there are fewer MSPs.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Bought new coil packs, spark plug wires and spark plugs, should be here by Friday. I just bought my MSP a few days ago, it's in kinda rough shape mechanically. The owner before me was my GM and he installed a cold air intake, looks like an aftermarket strut bar, new radio, boost gauge, fuel/air gauge and oil pressure gauge (which doesn't work) and mounted them on the A pillar. It looks nice, the interior's solid, just need to get everything fixed. I'm told the oil cooler has a leak too, so that should be fun.

For some reason it falls flat on its face during boost, it's like there's no acceleration at all. Vacuum only reads about 15 at idle according to the boost gauge, I pulled three codes from the OBD: P2009 P0090 and P0660.

Bought new coil packs, spark plug wires and spark plugs, should be here by Friday. I just bought my MSP a few days ago, it's in kinda rough shape mechanically. The owner before me was my GM and he installed a cold air intake, looks like an aftermarket strut bar, new radio, boost gauge, fuel/air gauge and oil pressure gauge (which doesn't work) and mounted them on the A pillar. It looks nice, the interior's solid, just need to get everything fixed. I'm told the oil cooler has a leak too, so that should be fun.

For some reason it falls flat on its face during boost, it's like there's no acceleration at all. Vacuum only reads about 15 at idle according to the boost gauge, I pulled three codes from the OBD: P2009 P0090 and P0660.

Well with that vac, there's definitely a leak. Check the vacuum lines, the inter cooler hoses etc

I keep coming back to mazdaspeed.

I've owned probably 8 Mazda protgs in the various trim, p5, protege, msp. I love each in their own right. Now I have a 16' Silverado that I absolutely love.. But here I am putting #935 back together.

i might get into a truck in a year or so. i like the look of the new f150s, but there is no way in hell id pay that much money for a work truck. thats a down payment on a house lol.... i moved cities and might do more onsite work, or just be less dependant on a stationary shop job, so a truck makes sense.
If i do it, will keep the milage down on the msp too and i can focus on building her properly. my next mod is prob gonna be a haltech sport 1000 and a 3" exhaust. trying to find a person to bend the pipes locally. would rather pay a small guy than a big chain.
she still looks fantastic, just need some mechanical love now. if anyone is parting one, id like to replace my steering wheel with a non worn one, maybe the front seat skins and possibly the door sils. I also wouldnt mind a mint shift knob as mine last the leather bit. though i guess if i went with an aftermarket shifter, the stock knob wouldnt be compatible. I couldn't use it with the p5 shifter so id guess a 99-03 short shifter wont work with it either.

The shift knob will fit an aftermarket shifter just fine. As I was going through the posts my first thought reading yours was the battery and maybe the alternator, glad you figured it out.

My dad bought a new F150 last week with the 2.7 ecoboost, it's a crew cab and it runs pretty well. Has as much torque as the Chevy 5.3 and is rated at 26mpg on the highway. Got it for $11,000 off sticker.
I am looking for an 03-07 Chevy 5.3 but I haven't had time to actually go and look at any. I really am not a chevy guy but my first car was a silverado and I know they are damn reliable.

It's been dying. It was dying in 2011 When I moved from a P5 to the MSP. The "well-known" And well-versed MSP owners were ditching them then. They just need owners like us. And they're out there. Few though, but there are fewer MSPs.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
I really don't think I will sell 1345 ever, but as time goes on I think about it more and more. Now that I can afford a newer car it makes it that much harder

I think older gms are reliable but not so sure about any of the new stuff. my dad still has his 1970s silverado rolling. that thing is a gas guzling mofo but still runs as well as when he bought it new.
I like the new ford trucks, but id prob buy a 12/13 or somthing. ive seen a few crew cabs with ecoboost for under $25k cdn. the boxes are tiny though.... I suppose a ram diesel would be a good option as well. lots of them out there and cheaper to run than an ecoboost. to me it isnt a luxury vehicle though. a truck is a truck, i want one i can beat the snot out of without remorse.

I will, hopefully, by driving my new car home Thursday.

Hint: It's retained the Mazdaspeed moniker.

mazdaspeed6!? the only other one id buy.. might buy if i can find one....

i believe it's a cx-7 :)

Likely not, as they didn't have a 'Mazdaspeed' CX-7.

However...

I had planned to go Monday, Labor Day, to go look at and subsequently purchase said car, but found out that the owner does not currently have the title as there is a loan against it with his credit union. No big deal, but he's 2.5 hours away from me and his credit union doesn't have a branch open on Saturdays for us to get the title. I work Monday through Friday, and some Saturdays, 6:30AM to 5:30PM. Issue. We work it out so that I can meet him today at 3 o'clock after I leave work at lunch time.

Fast forward to an hour ago- I receive a text message from my operations manager saying he will not be in today. Great, but I can have my parts manager run the shop for 4 hours.

Fast forward to 10 minutes ago- I receive a text message from my parts manager saying he's staying home with his sick daughter today.

My service writer quit/got let go two weeks ago, so I have absolutely no one to handle the shop this afternoon.

What a ******* joke. I'm so ******* pissed off right now.

Likely not, as they didn't have a 'Mazdaspeed' CX-7.

However...

I had planned to go Monday, Labor Day, to go look at and subsequently purchase said car, but found out that the owner does not currently have the title as there is a loan against it with his credit union. No big deal, but he's 2.5 hours away from me and his credit union doesn't have a branch open on Saturdays for us to get the title. I work Monday through Friday, and some Saturdays, 6:30AM to 5:30PM. Issue. We work it out so that I can meet him today at 3 o'clock after I leave work at lunch time.

Fast forward to an hour ago- I receive a text message from my operations manager saying he will not be in today. Great, but I can have my parts manager run the shop for 4 hours.

Fast forward to 10 minutes ago- I receive a text message from my parts manager saying he's staying home with his sick daughter today.

My service writer quit/got let go two weeks ago, so I have absolutely no one to handle the shop this afternoon.

What a ******* joke. I'm so ******* pissed off right now.
The guys should drive the car up to you if he wants to sell it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's great and all, but he has a loan against the car through his local credit union that I am paying off to purchase the car. It's got to be done in his town.

It will all work out, though the waiting sucks. I just brought #1552 home last night. There has been a 10 year hiatus since I sold my 03.5 Titanium (#13)

While my 8 wasn't that bad after only spending the first 2 years of its life in Pennsylvania, I will likely never purchase a northern car again. Didn't have any issues and I was aware of what little rust there was when I purchased it as I brought it to my shop to inspect, I'd just rather avoid any and all rust. I don't have time to cut, weld, fill and paint a body or deal with seized fastening hardware when I'm swapping out drivetrain parts every other day. Just my preference. Other than my 60's to 80's Jeeps, I'e been fortunate that none of the others of the 27 vehicles I've owned were affected by rust. I couldn't imagine being a Protege owner in the north. The cars deteriorate too easily.

Back