What have you done to your Miata today?

Got the Ohlins installed, NSFW picture:

16689627880_ecf46f1447.jpg

Reconnected the wideband where it was, I had the boost gauge ground connected to it before but they are now divorced. With everything back together I took a little test drive. Didn't push it a lot due to temps and dampness, but the ride is very nice.

Sexy :D

You forgot to reconnect your sway bar endlink.

I may have sourced an engine for my car. More horsepressures en route :D

Sexy :D

You forgot to reconnect your sway bar endlink.

I may have sourced an engine for my car. More horsepressures en route :D

You're the second person to tell me that. I didn't want to distract people from the sexiness. It was duly connected after the picture (although when I was running the bigger front bar I had the rear disconnected on one side).

Thanks Mark. What a guy!

Beautiful day here, so I was up early and washed her. Drove to cars & coffee with the wife, had a good time catching up with some friends. This afternoon I removed the Carbon Miata extenders, I don't feel they are safe with how the belts won't retract. I may try using a different spacer configuration. Also took a drive to do some autotuning of the MS.

Impressions of the Ohlins: driving the car with them shows how good suspension can be. They soaked up the usual bumps on the routes I drove that had the VMaxxes dancing around. Handling around curves is very good as well, I can't push it a lot as the alignment is off (I could feel things were a little light, like letting go light) but everything points to a major advancement. I am very glad I bought these.

I picked up a new one on (at least to me) Saturday.

16879488976_4d55d24f97_b.jpg

Spent the rest of Sat/Sun taking it apart and going over it coming up with a list of things that it will need before the season officially start. Oh and tons of time removing all of the stickers.

Car is a 1997 R-package converted to SM spec. Only has 22,100 miles.

Nice!

I also picked something up yesterday... Yours is a little cooler though (lol2)

20150322_154505.jpg

20150321_113953.jpg

Last edited:
whats the plan man?

Replacing the busted 1.6 with a VVT 1.8 & VVTuner. Living very near the guy that built & developed the VVTuner helps a ton. Gonna swap a bunch of cooling mods over, need to find an NA8 alternator, an 01+ crank sensor pigtail, and get my NA cat delete pipe, and delete a bunch of emissions stuff, clutch, etc but other than that, yeah... should be good to go. And make many more horsies :D

Last edited:
Pulled the MS this morning and proceeded to rewire the ground for the wideband. I heard back from Reverant but the wires he told me didn't make sense based on previous information from him. So I pulled out my manual and a diagram I found on line, crossed all my multiple digits and put a take-off in. Got it all back together and she wouldn't start. Thought maybe I had screwed up majorly so connected the wideband ground back where I had it and checked all the fuses. All were good so looked around some more, and found I had only connected two of the factory connectors to the MS patch cord. With that corrected she fired up. AFRs are much closer now, only about 0.3 difference between the gauge and TunerStudio. I loaded the software from Innovate and tomorrow will be adding a correction factor to adjust the input to the MS so it sees what the sensor sees.

Last edited:
Did the correction factor thing, but due to my misunderstanding initially I changed the numbers in both the wideband and the MS. Got that corrected so it's now only in the MS (that is easier for me to change with my installation). I dropped the Ohlins as much as I could, which was only 9mm but it looks good without being slammed. Had a little drive today and I like it. Now to get an alignment this week.

20150328_170247.jpg

Now to swap a ton of stuff from the 1.6 to the 1.8 in the background.

Last edited:
Our first event is April 26, I've been driving my car since the MS6 is down but I haven't changed my tires yet, maybe sometime this week.

Gross.

Are the head threads okay? Or are you going to have to put an insert in?

For the most part they were fine. I did chase the threads w/ a tap to clean everything up and pulled out a little metal, but a clean stud went in / came out fine.

sending back the 36-2 FM timing wheel an ordered a new OEM timing wheel. Didn't find out until i got the 36-2 wheel in the mail that it requires the Hydra 2.7 (which i dont have) Nothing on the website saying which model was needed, just that a hydra was needed, so 3 weeks wasted. Hopefully the new timing wheel comes in this weekend so that i can get it on the car and running... im ready to drive the thing

Back