What did you pay for your CX-9?

Got a 2021 Signature in Sept. 13K miles. Grey with Brownish interior. $42000. Got 17K on my 2016 Camry XSE. So far I love this ride, wanted a Highlander originally but features for the money this came out way ahead. Burbs of Minneapolis.

Yes the dealer made money off me, but I am happy with the outcome. I was originally planning to wait until December and try to negotiate a really good deal but I got concerned as I noticed that some Carbon Editions were selling without the hands free lift gate, which was something my wife was really wanting.

My local Dealer, Roger Beasley Mazda Georgetown had told meoffer. they had two on the lot with the hands free lift gate. So thinking inventory might be low for the exact model I wanted and knowing that the market is crazy right now, I gave a number I was willing to pay. With my Mazda loyalty credit they were able to make it happen and obviously they made money on me in other ways , which may or may not work out in my favor in the future.

MSRP: $44,830
Destination Fee: $1,275
Black Lug Nuts & Wheel Locks: $225

What I paid:

Price Of Unit: $45430 (After $500 loyalty credit)
Pre-paid maintenance for 3yr/36,000 miles plus other ancillary benefits: $699
*Gap Insurance: $575
**Service Contract - 6yr/100,000 Miles: 2337
Tax, Title, License, Misc: 3271.43

* On the gap insurance I probably could have gotten a better rate shopping around, but I am one of those idiots that pays too much upfront to avoid the hassle. Probably the reason I will never retire.

** On the service contract, I wasn't going to get one. I don't know how low they typically will go on these, this was discounted down from almost 4k so I went for it.

I am happy with the outcome because in this crazy market where other dealers are charging market adjustments and tacking on thousands of dollars in options I came out paying what I feel was a fair amount. They made some money off me and I got the exact vehicle that my wife and I wanted after a few months of shopping but also talking about getting her something bigger for a few years.

Yes the dealer made money off me, but I am happy with the outcome. I was originally planning to wait until December and try to negotiate a really good deal but I got concerned as I noticed that some Carbon Editions were selling without the hands free lift gate, which was something my wife was really wanting.

My local Dealer, Roger Beasley Mazda Georgetown had told meoffer. they had two on the lot with the hands free lift gate. So thinking inventory might be low for the exact model I wanted and knowing that the market is crazy right now, I gave a number I was willing to pay. With my Mazda loyalty credit they were able to make it happen and obviously they made money on me in other ways , which may or may not work out in my favor in the future.

What I paid:

* On the gap insurance I probably could have gotten a better rate shopping around, but I am one of those idiots that pays too much upfront to avoid the hassle. Probably the reason I will never retire.

** On the service contract, I wasn't going to get one. I don't know how low they typically will go on these, this was discounted down from almost 4k so I went for it.

I am happy with the outcome because in this crazy market where other dealers are charging market adjustments and tacking on thousands of dollars in options I came out paying what I feel was a fair amount. They made some money off me and I got the exact vehicle that my wife and I wanted after a few months of shopping but also talking about getting her something bigger for a few years.
Glad you bought the car you wanted but just know they made a ton off you. You paid over msrp in addition to the $$$ they made of rhe fluff. Someone will have a nice vacation at the dealership. The market is actually 180 degree reversed right now and dealers are scrambling to sell below MSRP and work with buyers because they have dried up and tons of inventory now. The CX-9 is not a hot seller like the CX-5. You could have gotten a GT for the same price or better but as long as you are happy with the vehicle and that you did really overpay then enjoy it.

What I paid:

^^ In the end, this is what's most important. Happy to hear that you were able to find one with the hands free liftgate!

We have a few members who are quite opinionated on some of the extras in your deal, just fyi lol. Pre-paid maintenance works out to $100/oil change over seven oil changes, conveniently right before the scheduled spark plug change, which they will likely try to sell to you at a high price when the time comes. And the service contract can be had for at least 50% of whatever their initial price is. As you said though, you're aware that you paid a bit more than you needed to, but you also have the car you wanted with little to no extra effort on your part.

Just a suggestion for when the car goes in for maintenance - do not let the dealership wash your car when it goes in for service! The brushes and/or towels that the workers use will leave swirl marks all over the car when you get it back.

Enjoy the new car, and be sure to show off the new wheels by posting some pics when you get a chance! :)

Booked Deep Crystal Blue Mica in Touring trim with delivery scheduled for Saturday.Pricing details as follows:

Price Paid Out Of Door: $41617
Break Down
MSRP: $40,295
Base Price : $ 38,000 (after financing discount and $500 roof rail with install)
4 year, 7 service warranty: $595
Doc Fee: $449
State Tax: $2403
Reg, Title: $135
Inspection Sticker: $35

Very nice buying experience, no haggling. Salesman gave his price , I gave mine, couple of back and forth to manager cabin and we had a deal. Base price turned out to be lower than edmunds invoice price and True Car's deal with same dealer. Did not qualify for any rebates.
Only thing forced was the financing thru Toyota finance at rate comparable to my bank's offer. The salesman said just switch it in couple of months.
Need help deciding if I should buy 10 year warranty at $2385 (with $500 discount). Was owning a Mitsubishi with 10year powertrain warranty so did not bother, here its just six. Wondering if Mazda will need a fix? Lots of CX-9 on lots across dealers, only task is to find the right trim in desired color.
Hope this is helpful to others.

Last edited:
Booked Deep Crystal Blue Mica in Touring trim with delivery scheduled for Saturday.Pricing details as follows:

Break Down
Base Price : $ 38,000 (after financing discount and $500 roof rail with install)

Very nice buying experience, no haggling. Salesman gave his price , I gave mine, couple of back and forth to manager cabin and we had a deal. Base price turned out to be lower than edmunds invoice price and True Car's deal with same dealer. Did not qualify for any rebates.
Only thing forced was the financing thru Toyota finance at rate comparable to my bank's offer. The salesman said just switch it in couple of months.
Need help deciding if I should buy 10 year warranty at $2385 (with $500 discount). Was owning a Mitsubishi with 10year powertrain warranty so did not bother, here its just six. Wondering if Mazda will need a fix? Lots of CX-9 on lots across dealers, only task is to find the right trim in desired color.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown!

Only thing I would add is that the warranty can likely be further discounted if you're willing to go back and forth with the salesperson on it. Usually these have at least a 50% profit margin built into them, meaning that a salesperson should be able to discount it down to like $1500 or $1600 if you negotiate it hard enough or if they want the sale that badly. Of course, this will vary from salesperson to salesperson, so play it by ear and take what you can get (or skip the extended warranty altogether).

Be careful buying an extended warranty. There are a lot of restrictions on some of them. There is a report of a member here who had their warranty claims denied for the 2.5T head issue because it's a manufactures defect and not covered.

I paid $3250 for a 10 year/100,000 mile Mazda Extended confidence warranty plus a lifetime powertrain warranty through my local dealer. I didn't try to negotiate it.

Break Down

I didn't know until yesterday that CX-9 is outgoing model. Also the negotiations were too easy, I guess could have got additional discount of at least 1k more :). But i guess there is no end to that rabbit hole.

I bought an 08 cx9 grand touring from a customer trading it it in at 3 years for around 20 grand. Still have it and going strong 11 years later. Less the AWD because the tranny spline/transfer case issue. But whatever I have a 4x4 for the 2 times it snows a year

Took the delivery of my Touring yesterday. Bought all weather mats for all 3 rows @$215. Decided not to purchase the 10yr warranty.
I did realize that the Touring trim does not have Side Sun Shades and Ambient lighting, which is listed on the site’s comparison tool.

Took delivery of a 2021 GT grey metallic with $37000 miles today. Paid 31k(34k out the door). Bought it from a BMW dealer and got suckered into 5 year comprehensive warranty for 2k. There's still 1 year left on the manufacturer's warranty, but only took it because I was assured that I could easily cancel it within 60 days. Not sure if anyone here has experience with Zurich Driveway Warranties

Took delivery of a 2021 GT grey metallic with $37000 miles today. Paid 31k(34k out the door). Bought it from a BMW dealer and got suckered into 5 year comprehensive warranty for 2k. There's still 1 year left on the manufacturer's warranty, but only took it because I was assured that I could easily cancel it within 60 days. Not sure if anyone here has experience with Zurich Driveway Warranties
Cancel that short bogus warranty and get a refund immediately. Only go with a Mazda factory extended and no 3rd party.

Congrats on the new car. Unfortunately there is an issue with valve seals on the 21’s with turbo.

1672275385623.jpeg

Cancel that short bogus warranty and get a refund immediately. Only go with a Mazda factory extended and no 3rd party.
Ok, thanks! Do you have an idea of how much the Mazda warranty cost and is it recommended to get the full or partial? I worry about all the complicated computer systems in cars today, so thinking I would get it in a year when the initial warranty expires. My wife drives about 6k-7k miles per year and we're looking to keep the car about 5 years. I traded in a 2015 ford explorer for this and the reason for it was the constant problems and sluggishness. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks! Do you have an idea of how much the Mazda warranty cost and is it recommended to get the full or partial? I worry about all the complicated computer systems in cars today, so thinking I would get it in a year when the initial warranty expires. My wife drives about 6k-7k miles per year and we're looking to keep the car about 5 years. I traded in a 2015 ford explorer for this and the reason for it was the constant problems and sluggishness. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Congrats to your new car.

Here is a link to the extended Mazda service warranty.

Last edited:
Yes. Some of these are based concurent with the original warranty so they expire when the original 5 year expires. It's all in the legalese of the document. You want a warranty that starts from your purchase date/mileage.
When younger, they tried selling me one til I pointed out it expired when the original did...then they started telling me it was still a good deal because it would cover stuff the original warranty didnt.

Can anyone comment on the 31k price? I was initially looking into a 2019, but noticed that for whatever reason, the 2021 wasn't much more. The best offer I had on a 19 GT(10k less miles) was about 29k so 2k more for a 2 year newer model seemed like a no brainer. It didn't help that we were tied to the grey metallic color as that one looked the classiest to us.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the 31k price? I was initially looking into a 2019, but noticed that for whatever reason, the 2021 wasn't much more. The best offer I had on a 19 GT(10k less miles) was about 29k so 2k more for a 2 year newer model seemed like a no brainer. It didn't help that we were tied to the grey metallic color as that one looked the classiest to us.
Since you’ve bought the car, and any comments for the price won’t be helpful anymore. But you really should watch the oil consumption on your 2.5T, and bring the car to the Mazda dealer asking to replace the defective valve stems based on the TSB posted by e2jankow above before your 5-year / 60K-mile powertrain warranty expires. This’s a complicate and expensive fix, and you really want to make sure you can fix it within Mazda’s powertrain warranty period.

You did good buying a 21. Pre 21 Mazda Skyactive turbos have head issues, I would stay away from them as the head may likely be good until the factory warranty expires and 3rd party warranties may not cover manufactures defects.

21 turbos have bad exhaust valve stem seals. From your current mileage and year, you have 3 years or 23k miles to have it fixed through the Mazda Powertrain Warranty. If I were you, I'd start having the oil changes done every 5k miles at your local Mazda dealer. Verify the level after oil change to make sure they don't overfill it and check it every 1k miles. Most reports have the oil level dropping after 4k miles and people who drive a lot of highway miles. The TSB may require a low oil DTC to be stored for the dealer to fix it, depending on the dealer and your documentation. The more documentation you do the easier it will be to have the Mazda dealer fix the issue, if it affects your vehicle.

Back