What are your favorite aspects of your CX-5?

They certainly did lead in that area: bringing higher end features to the $30K car market. No one had, what my son called, "Bendy headlights" :D, in this segment when I bought my 16.

It costs a good 70k+ to get these features in a F150. You have to get to the Lariat trim level, and dig very deep in your wallet. Of course I am strictly speaking for features like rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise, etc. the vehicles themselves are apples and oranges.

Hello all! I was curious what your favorite things about your cx-5 are :) I love everything about the cx-5 and I thought a thread of pure appreciation would be cool!

I absolutely love my cx-5. The way it looks (hard lines mixed with curves, the head/taillights), the manual mode, the steering/handling feel, the throttle response and linearity, the high revs (of the NA at least), even the layout and functionality of the interior! I can haul stuff cross country, car camp (I'm 6'2), AND carve canyons. (I have rarely driven sedans/shorter cars, let alone any sporty ones, so the cx5 is the best handling car I've ever experienced driving) That's a lot of different purposes that it executes amazingly. Lastly, the eternal blue and soul red are just beautiful colors, the way they sparkle in the sun and such. (Oh, and the presumed reliability)

Feel free to write about your favorite few aspects, it could be as detailed as not having a touchscreen or as broad as the styling and drive.
its the closest vehicle I can find thats still built with a traditional drivetrain thats self-serviceable - 6-speed auto / Gas only / timing chain / stainless steel exh-mani / Its built to last- - 100% built in Japan!
Fit & finish is right there with Porsche suvs which I sold - CX5 is it - !

They were first with the HUD too, in 17.
The Pontiac Grand Prix had a HUD from 1997-on.

GP HUD.jpg

Navdy 1.jpg

Navdy HUD on my previous CX-5 ( First generation). HUD was the main reason I upgraded to my current CX-5.

The Pontiac Grand Prix had a HUD from 1997-on.
Pretty sure the Grand Prix had it as early as '88 or '89 in its top trim. Or was it the Olds Cutlass Supreme? I remember it definitely was a GM W-body car from that time, and that was the first time I ever saw HUD.

GM had HUD on a number of vehicles in late 80s. Olds Cutlass Supreme had it in '88 IIRC... Nissan had it available on the 3rd gen Maxima (89-94)

deal breakers for me were:
best in class HUD
best in class 0-60 (turbo)
best in class drive-ability
best in class interior

(class meaning CUVs <60k :)

What does the department of Housing and Urban Development have to do with the CX5?

Recent posts have been about Head-Up Display. Based on the context, I'm pretty sure that's what @gazelle is referring to when they write HUD.

Searching Google for "HUD" returns results from the department you mentioned. A more specific search of "HUD CX-5", again based on context, returns results that are relevant to the discussion.

I purchased my 2021 CX-5 GT w GT Premium Package on 12/30/2023. An arthritic hip made getting in and, particularly, out of my 2007 SAAB 9-3 60th Anniversary Edition (sold to my youngest son). I researched a lot of sub-compact and compact SUVs. It ultimately led me to Mazda, either the CX-30 or CX-5. My wife (5’3”) thought the CX-30 was too low and car like.
Things I love about my CX-5:
It is quite sporty. I love the steering feel. Not quite as fun as my SAAB, but quite fun nonetheless.
The near luxury feel of the cabin appointments. And, personally, I like the dash design, simple and elegant.
The safety technology, particularly, the headlights, but the HUD is awesome and the rest is great. Blind spot monitoring, lane warning, and all the rest.
I actually like the infotainment system. The lack of a touch screen doesn’t bother me.
Not a CVT!
I absolutely love the way it looks. As another has said, I always turn a take a glance at it as I walk away.
Things that I don’t love quite so much:
I really wanted the Soul Red Crystal Metallic (the prettiest color I have seen on any car, IMO). However, hearing the issues that paint has, I don’t miss it as much. My Snowflake White Pearl Metallic is rather lovely as well.
The location of the cup holders is a pain, but the cup holder placement in the CX-30 limits the size of the cup/bottle you can use.
It would be nice if Apple Car Play was wireless, but I can live with it. A wireless charger would be nice as well.
I am concerned about carbon deposits on the intake valves. I guess that is a bridge to cross if necessary.
The dealership had replaced the TOYO tires with Uniroyal Tiger Paw A/S. They are OK, but better tires can’t come soon enough.
Just my two cents!!

Last edited:
For me, it is all about the excellent quality and reliability.
We bought a 2014 CX5 new and liked it a lot. It was very reliable but after 2 years, there seemed to be a lot more road noise, and that bothered us. I had heard about the new ‘18 models coming out with a turbo (that I didn’t want), so I found a leftover ‘17 with all the options and traded in the ‘14. It was a great decision because the newer one is just as reliable but has a much quieter cabin, along with all the bells and whistles. This one is a keeper!

We bought a 2014 CX5 new and liked it a lot. It was very reliable but after 2 years, there seemed to be a lot more road noise, and that bothered us. I had heard about the new ‘18 models coming out with a turbo (that I didn’t want), so I found a leftover ‘17 with all the options and traded in the ‘14. It was a great decision because the newer one is just as reliable but has a much quieter cabin, along with all the bells and whistles. This one is a keeper!

If you appreciate a quiet and luxurious ride, consider switching to 5W-30. It's a huge upgrade, at just the cost (for me) of going from 24 mpg to 23 mpg (well worth it). Quieter during all normal driving, and noticeably so. Something I can recommend for all model years. Switched to it in 2022 and wish I had done so day 1. Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

Last edited:
Road noise was probably from the tires, after 2 years OEM's need to be replaced.

I’ve never considered my CX-5 an especially quiet vehicle compared to other vehicles I’ve owned but radio is usually playing music anyways so mitigates the clatter. I’m in it for reliability and so far the 0W-20 Mazda Moly has shown no noticeable oil consumption so staying the course. 0W-20 in my GX 460 is the same way.. very quiet engine there and no oil consumption noticed as well. I do use the recommended 5W-30 in my G35x and right at the full mark on each oil change. Just turned 125k miles yesterday.

Even in light of issues I’ve had with vehicle in the past my CX-5 has been on lower TCO side so happy with that.

Last edited:
Back