US Diesel's big splash introduction

Not exactly. They were every 50 miles or so with the 2016 and they are about every 230 on the 17 on. They are also much shorter so you don’t know its happened most of the time. It doesn’t make the booming noise from the exhaust either.

That's interesting, I couldn't tell when the Xtrail did an regen either, looks like Mazda have caught up.

Its safe to assume there still will be SOME fuel dilution as its just a fact of life with engines that are direct injected and turbo whether gas or diesel. However, hopefully Mazda mitigated most of this with the revision of the internals and fuel mapping with respect to the compounding of the dilution problem, due to the DPF.

Difference is with petrol is it doesn't all stay in the oil.

As did Anchorman on their stolen 2016

So much so that I did a 6 and 12 month oil change because the oil had got to the point where it was getting up to the upper X and that was on a real healthy mix of duty. Id resigned myself to doing it on the 17 but it was a real pleasant surprise. There are revised piston rings so maybe that is the mechanical barrier and the regen is only part of the equation. Whatever it was, hats off to them, it worked.

Attachments

• Piston.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 1,034
So much so that I did a 6 and 12 month oil change because the oil had got to the point where it was getting up to the upper X and that was on a real healthy mix of duty. I’d resigned myself to doing it on the 17 but it was a real pleasant surprise. There are revised piston rings so maybe that is the mechanical barrier and the regen is only part of the equation. Whatever it was, hats off to them, it worked.
(thumb)

Looks like the upgrade to the diesel here has also provided better performance on top of the improved fuel economy:

28cm3px.jpg

Source: 2018 Mazda CX-5 diesel review Touring & GT (video)

Note that this year, all vehicles have gone up by approximately 7kg (15 lbs). So last years GT diesel that was tested weighed 1744kg (3844.86lbs) whilst this years Touring diesel that was tested weighs 1715kg (3780.93lbs)

Forgot to post this for the above:

* Figures as tested by PerformanceDrive on the day. Factory claims may be different

Note that this year, all vehicles have gone up by approximately 7kg (15 lbs). So last years GT diesel that was tested weighed 1744kg (3844.86lbs) whilst this years Touring diesel that was tested weighs 1715kg (3780.93lbs)

I think they mean 1751kg, hope the rest is more accurate. (friday)

Not sure how they get any claimed "improved fuel economy" with more weight and power added.

Having read the link (Thanks for that) it appears it hasn't improved "During our testing we averaged around 6.5L/100km in both the 129kW and 140kW tune, and this included performance testing and decent mountain drives."

Last edited:
Not sure how they get any claimed "improved fuel economy" with more weight and power added.

Having read the link (Thanks for that) it appears it hasn't improved "During our testing we averaged around 6.5L/100km in both the 129kW and 140kW tune, and this included performance testing and decent mountain drives."

No problem :)

Only a 7kg increase. Improved fuel economy is official figures.

Looks like the upgrade to the diesel here has also provided better performance on top of the improved fuel economy:

28cm3px.jpg

Source: 2018 Mazda CX-5 diesel review – Touring & GT (video)

Can you please post the 2.5 gas burner for a comparison? I've never seen max-acceleration g's listed before, and I think it's an absolutely amazing stat to have, because that's what a person "feels", and what excites ya, unless you're racing for money. Not a stop watch.

Can you please post the 2.5 gas burner for a comparison? I've never seen max-acceleration g's listed before, and I think it's an absolutely amazing stat to have, because that's what a person "feels", and what excites ya, unless you're racing for money. Not a stop watch.

Here you go (2017 model pre-update):

No info on g's listed I'm afraid :(

Last edited:

28cm3px.jpg

Source: 2018 Mazda CX-5 diesel review Touring & GT (video)

That's a pretty good improvement. It could run quicker times too as the new model was on full tank of fuel and engine not fully run-in as opposed to the old model which was running on half tank of fuel. The 2.5L tested on that occasion could also run better times in my opinion as the times recorded were close to the 2.0L tested elsewhere.

That's a pretty good improvement. It could run quicker times too as the new model was on full tank of fuel and engine not fully run-in as opposed to the old model which was running on half tank of fuel. The 2.5L tested on that occasion could also run better times in my opinion as the times recorded were close to the 2.0L tested elsewhere.

(iagree)

From my "feels", my 2.5 CX-5 seems a bit more enthusiastic than the 2017's I test drove 2 times.

Last edited:
so anyone heard anything regarding the Diesel? I really want to grab a CX5 Diesel when my current lease is up...

so anyone heard anything regarding the Diesel? I really want to grab a CX5 Diesel when my current lease is up...
May take a while as Mazda now is busy to find out the cause of the overheating problem on gen-2 CX-5 with SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel in Taiwan and have to stop the sale on popular CX-5 diesel for 2019 MY there:

Actually Mazda's SkyActiv-D 2.2L could have other issues. I just watched a YouTube review from Taiwan for 2019 Mazda CX-5. One of the three drawbacks the reviewer said Mazda in Taiwan stopped offering more popular 2.2L diesel as an option on 2019 CX-5 because many 2018 CX-5 diesel owners have encountered overheating problem and Mazda haven't figured out the resolution.

Back