Turbo Replacement

ViDeo^_^kiD

Potential Scammer!
:
2003.5 MSP
Would this turbo work as a direct replacement for my Mazdaspeed Protege turbo? Or is it different...if so what model number should I look for?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

And if I bought a GT28RS turbo...would it bolt directly up and start up fine. Or would I need to get the car tuned first? If I swapped out wastegates?

Thanks for any help.

Would this turbo work as a direct replacement for my Mazdaspeed Protege turbo? Or is it different...if so what model number should I look for?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

And if I bought a GT28RS turbo...would it bolt directly up and start up fine. Or would I need to get the car tuned first? If I swapped out wastegates?

Thanks for any help.

That wont fit i dont think...look at the way it would bolt up to the stock manifold. It would make the outlet where you connect the hot pipe be upside down.

Maybe I am wrong, but when i try to rotate it in my mind it looks like it wouldnt be clocked right as a direct replacement.

Last edited:
Yeh true...plus its not even a GT series. Stupid question I guess....I'm looking for a cheap alternative for replacing my turbo. If anybody has one, let me know.

I still need the model number for a Mazdaspeed Protege turbo if anyone has it?

Gt25 what?

Yeh true...plus its not even a GT series. Stupid question I guess....I'm looking for a cheap alternative for replacing my turbo. If anybody has one, let me know.

I still need the model number for a Mazdaspeed Protege turbo if anyone has it?

Gt25 what?

I think one just went on sale in the fs section a few days ago...i'll see if i can find the link.

I just may do that...all I need is something that works. Mine works...but is leaking oil, due to the previous idiot owner. May get some work done to it as well :) ANYTHING is better than forking over a grand...not to mention I dont have the money for it with my tickets coming up.

Last edited:
I just may do that...all I need is something that works. Mine works...but is leaking oil, due to the previous idiot owner. May get some work done to it as well :) ANYTHING is better than forking over a grand...not to mention I dont have the money for it with my tickets coming up.

Yeah turbos are never cheap....I try to keep my car out of boost as much as possible to keep mine living longer. Having to replace a turbo at this point in my life will put me into the poor house.

You know what you could do also is pm MPNick. (he is the maker of the MPI tuner and runs Modern Performance Inc. in new jersey) He sells rebuilt turbos with the gt28rs internals for like 425 i think? I think you might have to send him your busted turbo though so he can rebuild it rather than finding one himself. But if you do a search for MPNick turbo upgrade you will find some good info about how nicely his rebuilt turbos work. If you go that route you dont have to replace the turbo, yours gets fixed, but it becomes super powerful in the process!

I was going to get it built either way. Probably here.

www.boostplanet.com

But if I buy another turbo...maybe I can make some money off my old one...and my car will be functional in the meantime.

i just bought my msp a few days ago and just now realized the turbo is shot. :(
i know this because as stated above it's dripping oil as well. anybody know any websites we can find a wholesale gt25 or gt28 turbo assuming the gt28 fits?

Check garrett's web site it will link you to vendors. Also there is a used unit for sale in th FS section. Pm streetstylejpti he has one.

Last edited:
I’ve read the cxracing turbo fits but some work has to be put into it. Don’t have personal experience on that front. @Gabe710 might be able to shed more light on that.

The Garrett GT2860, aka the disco potato, is what most upgrade to and there are plenty of threads with that turbo floating around. Just know that it will max out your stock injectors at 10psi so be careful with that. There’s a special wastegate bracket you have to run so the native 2860 wastegate doesn’t hit the block, https://www.speedcircuit.net/collec...accessories/products/wastegate-bracket-gt28rs

To me, it looks like the bolt holes for the down-pipe are positioned differently.

Here's what the stock turbine housing looks like:

Sg7r0M6TxKm28Qt25-internally-gated-turbine-housing.jpg

Ahhh okay i see. It seems like the bolt pattern for the stock exhaust is flipped. maybe a simple flange could help but i’ll look into that.

I’ll do some research and get back to you @Klop8262

Yeah so I read up on the turbo housing and it says it'll fit the GT25 which seems to be the turbo that would replace the stock turbo.

So in other words, if the flange is flipped like it is in the photo, then we would need that turbine housing and then the matching compressor side (the GT25)

That seems about right no?

Back