turbo issue/question

bradboyd80

:
'12 Velocity Red MS3
So I bought a turbo a while back with the knowledge that it had stopped boosting. Guy told me he didn't know why. So my question is: what would cause the turbo to stop boosting? I thought maybe the wga went bad, but it didn't come with the turbo, so I couldn't check that. Any other ideas? I was never able to put it on the car because it was traded in for my MS3 (which the turbo doesn't fit). I plan to take it to a shop to get inspected before I sell it, but want to know what it COULD be just in case the shop tries to feed me bulls***. There is no shaft play and the fins spin semi-freely. There does seem to be a very, very, very small amount of resistance when spinning it, but it still spins after you let go of it.

Hopefully I provided enough details for an answer. Any ideas?

look at the fins, and the parimeter around the fins to see if there is any scoring on the walls of the inlet.

why would u buy a bad turbo in the first place? im not sure if the k04 can be rebuilt or not.

I used to have an MSP, and the turbo is an MPNick upgrade....and the guy told me he thought the turbo was fine, or at least salvageable. It was a package deal (sold me two turbos and a welded mani) that I needed because my stock turbo was on its way out, and the mani was cracked. The other turbo was seized, so I knew that one was bad. But was under the impression that the MPNick was still ok, or just needed some TLC at the most. Wasn't expecting to do a complete rebuild on both turbos.

if its a t25 then its deffinately screwed! just a paperwight now, unless u want to pay for another mpnick upgrade wich is around the same price for a new turbo.

Well I found a shop down here that says they can do a rebuild somewhere between $300 and $500 for a T25. So I'm going to take it to them and have them inspect it first and give me some options. If its too expensive or not even rebuildable, then I'll just let them keep both of them and cut my losses.....I hate getting ****** over.

Well I found a shop down here that says they can do a rebuild somewhere between $300 and $500 for a T25. So I'm going to take it to them and have them inspect it first and give me some options. If its too expensive or not even rebuildable, then I'll just let them keep both of them and cut my losses.....I hate getting ****** over.

are u sure he didnt sell it to u saying u could do the mpnick upgrade to it?

are u sure he didnt sell it to u saying u could do the mpnick upgrade to it?

Absolutely positive. He said it was an MPNick turbo that stopped boosting. Simple as that. LOL

no problem, was it a forum member on this site that sold it to u?

sure was....but I don't want to dime him out. It was an "as-is" sale. I took a chance on a turbo that wasn't functional when it was pulled, and it just didn't go my way. Besides, I ended up with the MS3, so I can't be too upset. haha. The only thing that upset me is that I know the guy is very knowledgeable about turbos and very likely knew what was wrong with it; but I have a feeling he was playing the ignorance card in order to make a sale.

Last edited:
Back