TPMS question, 2016 CX-5

Can an average OBD2 scanner tell you which tire pressure sensor may be faulty?

I have not had a chance to do the basics, inflate all the tires and reset the system. It was raining like crazy this evening.

I quickly checked the tires right after the light came on, they were all ok - 32 to 33 psi.

A 2016 uses the ABS system to sense a low tire rather than individual pressure transmitters inside the tires like 2017 and beyond.

For your system, adjust the tire pressure to your favorite PSI, then with the engine in "run" parking brake on, press and hold the TPMS button until the dash light flashes (I think there may be a tone as well)

Can an average OBD2 scanner tell you which tire pressure sensor may be faulty?
No, I don’t think so. And like @HyFlyer said above, your 2016 CX-5 doesn’t have the TPMS sensors in tires.

I have not had a chance to do the basics, inflate all the tires and reset the system. It was raining like crazy this evening.
You want to adjust the tire pressure to Mazda’s recommended 36 psi (19” tires) or 34 psi (17” tires) COLD, and after the tire rotation if you plan one soon, then do a proper TPMS reset stated in owner’s manual, or the system may not work properly. You don’t have to start the engine and just turn the ignition on. And the TPMS Warning Light will flash twice and a beep, when you press the TPMS Set button.

658DABF9-0151-4A92-A0C2-A37AE84C7722.jpeg

BD4F9C01-6749-49CC-BE07-A25A79132ED4.jpeg

I quickly checked the tires right after the light came on, they were all ok - 32 to 33 psi.
You want to add some air to Mazda’s recommended psi first stated above.

If the TPMS reset doesn’t help, you might need to check a faulty ABS sensor or wiring assuming any of the tires has no leak. A good OBDII reader which is capable of reading brake system fault code should be able to pin point the one which is faulty.

ABS based system (older models) could be triggered by rotation discrepancy ... you guess it. Rainy weather on wet road surfaces w/ bolder tires...
Just reset it and see how it works on dry pavements.

Back