Took a screw in my 7 month old Falken Wildpeak AT Tires

rockethead26

2019 CX-5 Reserve
:
N. Arizona @ 7000'
I got a low tire warning when I started my car today and figured it was the typical 2 psi low and I didn't check after getting to work because I would just fill it up at home later in the day. Just before leaving for lunch, I received an email from a coworker who noticed a very low tire on my car. I go out and the left rear tire is almost flat. Well crap! I find the screw just on the inside edge of the tread. Well, that's not good. I get out the manual to check on where to put the jack to put the spare on (haven't needed it yet on my 3 1/2 year old car) to drive to Discount Tire where I bought them.

While pondering the manual, one of my coworkers walks by and sees me reading the manual and I tell him what I'm doing. He says, "Don't do that." and then tells me to just drive it 30 meters up to the instrument shop door, so I do and he's dragging out a compressor hose. We fill it to 45psi to make sure I get to DT which I do. The rep then confirms that the tire is not fixable and that I'll need a new one. Man! It's only got 2mm of wear. He asks if I bought the certificates of coverage when I bought the tires and I said I didn't think so because I never do. He checks and lo and behold I had purchased the coverage. Wow, guardian angel stuff!

They put on my spare which I had updated shortly after buying the car to a size which wouldn't ruin my transmission, kept the damaged one and will have the replacement in tomorrow in the AM. Love those guys!!!

I haven't had a flat like that in 10 years. I guess I was due.

Last edited:
Great to hear that there was a good outcome! And also that you didn't accidentally ruin the TPMS sensor or the rim by driving on a tire that had low pressure on your way to work. One more plus for Discount Tire.

Always buy the road hazard warranty.
It's only a couple dollars per tire and can come in handy especially with the price of tires.

Quick anecdote.
One of my winter tires has had a nail in it for two years now. Oddly enough, it doesn't leak air.
After 6 months of sitting in the garage, the pressure is still good. No way am I going to risk pulling it out and doing a repair. Sometimes luck is on your side.

Quick anecdote.
One of my winter tires has had a nail in it for two years now. Oddly enough, it doesn't leak air.
After 6 months of sitting in the garage, the pressure is still good. No way am I going to risk pulling it out and doing a repair. Sometimes luck is on your side.
Had the same thing last year. Was pumping gas and spotted a shiny spot on my rear driver side tire.
Nail, perfectly seated in the tread. Checked the pressure every day for couple weeks, no decrease.
Finally got it checked when I took it in for service and luckily it didn't puncture all the way through.
They just extracted it and everything was good.

A couple $/tire? It hardly costs that any longer.
It was not even worth it the last time that I opted for road hazard warranty repair w/ new tire installation (around 2007), as the local Goodyear dealer (who shall remain nameless) banged me an additional $18 for each covered tire.
It gets better: on that fine day when I actually needed him to perform this repair, the shop was booked solid w/ paying customers - so add 3.5 hrs wait until 1 tech broke free. My puncture repair then took him all of 20 minutes.

Such was my last visit for anything from that Goodyear store.
Since then I've repaired many punctures myself w/ a simple Monkey Grip kit, & also get my tires elsewhere.

A couple $/tire? It hardly costs that any longer.
It was not even worth it the last time that I opted for road hazard warranty repair w/ new tire installation (around 2007), as the local Goodyear dealer (who shall remain nameless) banged me an additional $18 for each covered tire.
It gets better: on that fine day when I actually needed him to perform this repair, the shop was booked solid w/ paying customers - so add 3.5 hrs wait until 1 tech broke free. My puncture repair then took him all of 20 minutes.

Such was my last visit for anything from that Goodyear store.
Since then I've repaired many punctures myself w/ a simple Monkey Grip kit, & also get my tires elsewhere.
$18 really isn't that bad on a $220.00 tire especially if you get a sidewall puncture that can't be repaired. If it happens within the 1st year they usually just replace the tire. After that they pro-rate.
I looked up my last two tire replacements at the dealer and the warranty price was included in the price of the tire. Took it back to the dealer for a nail and they handled it right away.

You're right about Goodyear, bought tires from them for my wife's CR-V and they were always tough to get in for a repair. Plus their tires always seemed to lose pressure.

Sidewall punctures & delaminations are always an automatic FAIL: there's just no repairing it. They have to replace it on liability grounds.

$18 really isn't that bad on a $220.00 tire especially if you get a sidewall puncture that can't be repaired. If it happens within the 1st year they usually just replace the tire. After that they pro-rate.
I looked up my last two tire replacements at the dealer and the warranty price was included in the price of the tire. Took it back to the dealer for a nail and they handled it right away.
You're right about Goodyear, bought tires from them for my wife's CR-V and they were always tough to get in for a repair. Plus their tires always seemed to lose pressure.
You must have a very honest dealer, & after those first 12 months, the ROI for prorate yields but a couple bucks.
Most Goodyear dealers that I've dealt with just cram the road hazard warranty into the invoice anyway - not even bothering to ask the customer if they'd like it for the additional cost. Our local shop is notorious for doing this - the manager is a crammer extraordinaire.

Regarding GY quality - some GY models are fine, while others are trash.
From 1st-hand experience, their "Assurance" line reminds me in a bad way:
I purchased a total of 4 Assurances in 2 different sizes for 2 different vehicles - & from 2 different dealers. Within 16 months, 2 of them were slowly but constantly losing pressure, & then at about 20 months, I took them all back for eval.
The same fine gentleman at Morrison showed me the ruptures - circled w/ red grease marker, dead-center upon each sidewall, & proceeded to tell me that both of the sidewalls were delaminated & that they need immediate R&R: "There's no prorate adjustment value left, but I can let you have 2 Assurances for a deal here ....... about $412 mounted/balanced".

What he heard: "Inflate these 2 old sieves to proper pressure, & I'll be on my way".
We don't miss each other.

Last edited:
Back