2017~2024 Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

My 2000 Corvette with 85,000 still has the original tire pressure sensors and they work fine. Local tire shops changed the tires but never messed with the sensors at all so my experience does not match your opinion. I can read the pressure in each tire on the console and get alerts if low, which is the way the new CX-5 should work.

In my 83 Town Car while traveling on the highway I stopped to walk the dog and noticed a front tire was almost completely flat. I had no idea in that light steering car that the tire was low.
Glad to know those factory tire pressure sensors can last 17 years without replacement. My Discount Tire always suggests at least a rebuild kit whenever a customer is putting on a new set of tires if the vehicle has tire pressure sensors.

Still those in the North now are going to have a second thought to enjoy the convenience of a second set of snow tires.

I agree and this's my point all along. If Mazda has decided to go more expensive route of direct-read TPMS with tire pressure sensors, why don't you display the tire pressures? And even better, might as well just include temperature sensors and display both informations in instrument cluster. It'd be a unique and very useful safety feature from factory by Mazda!

The air from a tubeless tire with a nail normally takes several days to leak out completely. From my experience you can feel the "softness" of a leaking tire especially at a higher speed when the tire pressure dropped below 20 psi. That's how I found out the nailed tire for the last several flats on my vehicles without TPMS. I still can drive to Discount Tire safely without tire damage to get my free flat repair and balancing.
I use to "feel" that flat tire in my other vehicles. Unfortunately I drive a van. Driver seat is immediately on top of the front tires (on top of front fulcrum) so I kinda have a hard time sensing flat tires on my rear wheels.

This was a 2006 Mazda3 with no pressure sensor at all. The first car I had with the sensors was the RDX and it's nice that it tells you the actual reading. If it's a little low I know right away and just fill up. I agree that if the CX-5 already has sensors capable of reading the actual pressure you might as well display it. Should not be all that hard to add a screen to either the center display or the one in the cluster. Hell you already have the graphic of the overhead car to warn of open doors, just add numbers next to it instead of red doors.

I really dont understand how some of these prices migrate across the Atlantic. Over here a kit of 4 sensors is 105 (about $135) or $34 each. I was considering what might happen if I put my bog standard winter wheels and tyres on - just a message which can be ignored or is it going to start disabling something??? Ill experiment. Anyway, I priced a set of very nice looking 17 wheels and negotiated some discount to 509 including the sensors. The wheels have to be counterbored to take the sensors rather than the old tapered hole for regular valves.

fullsizeoutput_16cd.jpg

I also checked the parts catalogue in case the valves were a special accessory price but no, it seems ours are much cheaper than yours.

fullsizeoutput_16ce.jpg

I prefer the simplicity of the old system but the new sensors ca apparently measure internal tyre temperature and use that info to help confirm pressure variation.

Glad to know those factory tire pressure sensors can last 17 years without replacement. My Discount Tire always suggests at least a rebuild kit whenever a customer is putting on a new set of tires if the vehicle has tire pressure sensors.

Still those in the North now are going to have a second thought to enjoy the convenience of a second set of snow tires.

Since they're an inspection item, I imagine one can just schedule their inspections in the summer and run their snow tires with out them in they winter. All I think would happen would be that the tpms light would be showing.

My QX came with a second set of 20" rims. I'll find out this fall if they also have the tpms sensors. If not I don't plan on buying any for them.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

Since they're an inspection item, I imagine one can just schedule their inspections in the summer and run their snow tires with out them in they winter. All I think would happen would be that the tpms light would be showing.

My QX came with a second set of 20" rims. I'll find out this fall if they also have the tpms sensors. If not I don't plan on buying any for them.
Our annual state inspection is tied to the registration sticker now. You can't move around the inspection date too much. But luckily we have no need for a second set of snow tires. AWD with all-season tires is good enough for occasional snow/ice days in winter.

Yeah let us know if your set of snow tires are having pressure sensors or not.

I just bought winter setup from Tire Rack and they were aware of the change on the '17 CX-5 to direct sensors. With my kit it added $49 to each wheel or $196 total. This is about on par with the cost I paid for the direct sensors when I bought a kit for my Focus ST. I'm guessing they're a compatible aftermarket sensor but at least the portion that's visible does look the same as what is on the OE wheels. I think this definitely does add a little bit of cost but not significant in my opinion.

So I went and checked the invoice and they are listed as Continental who I believe makes the OE sensor. I bet they're identical.

So I went and checked the invoice and they are listed as Continental who I believe makes the OE sensor. I bet they're identical.
I agree. Mazda OEM TPMS sensor is made in France, which means it's made by Continental is entirely possible. And the similar Mazda part BHB6-37-140 9A in UK listed by Anchorman costing only 23.80 / $32.12 USD indicates the part coming from local Euro Continental hence it's much cheaper!

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!
41ymaplVM3L._SX300_.jpg

Now the question is how difficult for 2017 CX-5 to add new unique IDs assigned to each TPMS sensor into the TPMS system? Do we need factory Mazda computer to configure them into the TMPS system at the first time like adding a new key fob, or it's just as simple as hitting the TPMS reset button? (uhm)

The instructions from Tire Rack to register the sensors at to turn the ignition on, then back to lock. With the engine off, wait 15 minutes or more, then drive for 10 minutes or more above 16 mph.

I agree. Mazda OEM TPMS sensor is made in France, which means it's made by Continental is entirely possible. And the similar Mazda part BHB6-37-140 9A in UK listed by Anchorman costing only 23.80 / $32.12 USD indicates the part coming from local Euro Continental hence it's much cheaper!

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!
41ymaplVM3L._SX300_.jpg

Now the question is how difficult for 2017 CX-5 to add new unique IDs assigned to each TPMS sensor into the TPMS system? Do we need factory Mazda computer to configure them into the TMPS system at the first time like adding a new key fob, or it's just as simple as hitting the TPMS reset button? (uhm)

No, nothing like that, it's a fairly simple matter as Tire Rack are showing.

And this for anyone not wanting to use Tire Rack, shows how they should be fitted.........
Thank you very much Anchorman providing us so many valuable documents and PDF files! (cool)

Based on the pdf file from Anchorman, new valve core、nut、seal are required to reuse the TPMS sensor. And the following warnings are worth mention:

Caution

A direct TPMS wheel unit has an exclusive valve cap and valve core. Always install the direct TPMS exclusive valve cap and valve core. If a valve core other than the exclusive one is installed, the wheel unit could be damaged due to rust.

The wheel unit air pressure stem is made of aluminum and can be damaged. Do not tilt or use excessive side force when checking the air pressure or filling a tire with air. Some tire pressure gauges and air filling nozzles have extended tips, which could bend or break the air pressure stem of the wheel unit due to the added force they can apply.

Do not use a tire pressure gauge with an extended tip or air injector nozzle, because it will apply excessive force to the air pressure stem of the wheel unit.

this isn't anything new to a mazda.. they used these style of sensors from 2003-2012 in that era of mazdas... they're way more accurate than using the cheap ABS wheel speed sensor method

this isn't anything new to a mazda.. they used these style of sensors from 2003-2012 in that era of mazdas... they're way more accurate than using the cheap ABS wheel speed sensor method

It looks like the part Anchorman listed is literally that part for 2003-2012 cars. So the 2017 uses that same part number? If so, at least they should be easier to come by, but I guess don't hold our breath for the price to come down any more.

Back