Thinking on buying a MS3.

JustinRizzo

:
MX6
I own a MX6, but she is aged and ready to go. I have had my eyes on a MazdaSpeed Protege for around $8k, which is really near the top of my budget. However, I have been reading about MS3's and MS6's and on paper they seems to douse out the MSP. MazdaSpeed 3/6 0-60 rated at 5.4/5.9, where the MSP is a 6.8 If I remember, the MX6 was rated at 7.2 for a 0-60, and for my next Mazda I would like to feel an upgrade in power. However, the cost of a MS3/6 with average miles is $11-14k, far up my budget.

I want an upgrade in power over my MX6, but I don't want to blow my budget through the roof either. Things I loved about my 6 were the moonroof, leather, stickshift, a blast to work on and the build quality was excellent.
Would the MSProtege be a significant upgrade, or is it going to feel the same? I'm really looking for people who have driven the MS variants of the 3/6/Protege. From my research it seems people prefer the 6 over the 3 in terms of room and performance, but the 3 has better build quality. Anyways, now I'm rambling. Thanks for any input.

The pluses of the 6 over my 3, I wish I had were Factory heated seats, AWD, and a Moonroof. But that doesn't mean I don't love my MS3 at all, so far it is my favorite car I've owned.

being noob to MS3s, MSPs, and MS6s, I remember only one thing. Back in late 90s, I drove for a short bit Mazda 6 Turbo. That was by far fastest vehicle I have ever driven, and I did drive some fast ones. Scared the crap put of me. 2nd fast was - surprise - naturally aspirated LeBaron, 3rd gen, with some amazing V6. Wish I bought it...Then Cosworth, the usual..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFmasvF-918&feature=related

I've been behind the wheel of the .... MSP/MS3/MS6 Go with the MS3 the MS6 is a lot heavier then the 3 even thou is a AWD and the MS3 is FWD

In a couple of months I'll be getting a MS3 if things go as planned.

being noob to MS3s, MSPs, and MS6s, I remember only one thing. Back in late 90s, I drove for a short bit Mazda 6 Turbo. That was by far fastest vehicle I have ever driven, and I did drive some fast ones. Scared the crap put of me. 2nd fast was - surprise - naturally aspirated LeBaron, 3rd gen, with some amazing V6. Wish I bought it...Then Cosworth, the usual..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFmasvF-918&feature=related

You may be thinking of an MX6, that was only factory turbo till 1992, the Mazda6 wasnt into production until 2002 and the speed6 not until 2006.

There is no Mazda 6 in late 90s....the best possible is a Mazda 626 and it would be a V6 and not a Turbocharged.
MS6 starts at 2006 like others said.

I've owned two of your options and my sister owns the speed6, IMO if the newer speed's blow the budget don't kick yourself thinking that Mazdaspeed Protege isn't going to bring a smile to your face. It was probably my favorite of the speeds even though it had its own issues (bottem end was a bit weak if you want more boost, rust issues depending on state, had a tendency to understeer in transition during heavy breaking.) ABSOLUTELY NONE of this will matter when you get behind the wheel and take it through some corners. Something is to be said about the late 90's early 2000's boxy style, it's a gorgeous car and there aren't too many on the road. Like all situations it comes down to money and how much you want to spend. They are both worth it at their respective price tags, and both are completely different feeling cars. If you have the cash and want the bigger more powerful GT go with a speed3 or speed6 (equal-ish but different argument there) If not, take your time and find a good condition MSP and own a bit of mazdaspeed grassroots

maybe he means speed6??
ap.jpg

or.jpg

Back