Off Topic The Fitness Thread

Man, I gotta say, it can be hard to re-establish a routine with so many distractions at home. Right now, the best time for me to lift is at around 9:30 or 10:00 at night, after my 3-year old goes to bed. I've been able to fit a few good workouts in, but I also want to balance lifting and spending that time with wifey, since those couple of hours before bed are the only hours we get to ourselves. Since I work out at home, I can work out in the living room while she watches TV or whatever on the couch. She's expressed interest in getting more exercise, so I'm hoping that eventually she'll get sick of scrolling and flipping through channels and she'll join me in my workouts.

For now I've just been doing fun stuff like curls, pullups, dips, and kettlebell cleans. Soon I hope to dust off the bar and rack and get back to fundamentals.

I'm into fitness....fitness whole pizza in my mouth.

But seriously, I want to get in gear this year. 220lbs right now, down from 230 and want to hit 180. We started by seriously changing what kind of food we were buying/eating and that has helped a lot. But I want to start getting active again too. Just gotta figure out what I can do. Got a busted up knee right now and weak ankles. I keep rolling them, so yeah there's weight loss, but want to see if I can start strengthening some areas too.

I finally have enough space for it, so I slapped together the power rack last night.

20220625_220221.jpg

20220626_231342.jpg

Here's a timelapse of the assembly. I put the wrong bottom brace on at first, so it took a little longer than it should have. I also had to "dance" with the power rack a bit to get it into the correct position, lol. I should be able to get the rest of it put together in the next couple of days.

Update: I repurposed the extra pieces into weight storage. This also gave me a better place to put the landmine attachment, and I can use one of the rack mounted barbell holders. Very happy with the setup now.

20220715_201101.jpg

Update: I repurposed the extra pieces into weight storage. This also gave me a better place to put the landmine attachment, and I can use one of the rack mounted barbell holders. Very happy with the setup now.

View attachment 311642
Looks great! As a fat out of shape guy, making me think I need to get my butt in gear.

Looks great! As a fat out of shape guy, making me think I need to get my butt in gear.

Thanks! There are some updates I still want to do. I could add weight stacks and pulley systems to the front of the rack so that I can have an all in one station for everything. I already have a functional trainer but I think it would take up too much space, so I'll probably just end up selling it.

Picked up a "beater bar" (York 32111) for use in the landmine attachment, only $75. Also got a screaming deal on an air rower, only $30! Works very well. It's a Johnson A3.

Did a quick workout with the rower yesterday. 2 mins on the rower followed by 10 reps bench press. Repeated for 3 rounds, so less than 15 mins total working time. Got a nice little sweat going.

Went from the 1100# (1105) club to the 1200# club (1205). Body weight around 225. Proud of it even if its nothing special for many.

1105(9/6/2023)

1205(10/31/2023)

Last edited:
Congrats!
Uh... shouldn't you have a spotter?

I hit a milestone on my bicycle a few weeks ago: 1,000 miles logged since I bought it in 2020 during the great BIKE shortage. The VAST majority of those are 2 mile rides to work.

Congrats!
Uh... shouldn't you have a spotter?

I hit a milestone on my bicycle a few weeks ago: 1,000 miles logged since I bought it in 2020 during the great BIKE shortage. The VAST majority of those are 2 mile rides to work.

The squat rack and power cage did have built-in safeties. The squat rack safeties might be hard to see due to the angle.

Congrats on that milestone, @7eregrine! Do you ride in the winter as well?

Went from the 1100# (1105) club to the 1200# club (1205). Body weight around 225. Proud of it even if its nothing special for many.

1105(9/6/2023)

1205(10/31/2023)

Nice! You made them look pretty easy if I'm being honest. Seems like you could add an extra 10-20 lbs on both your bench and deadlift, and maybe another 20 on your squat. I see 1300 for you next year for sure.

In my unprofessional opinion, the squat might have cut a bit too high in a competitive setting, but for a PR I'd say great squat.

The squat rack and power cage did have built-in safeties. The squat rack safeties might be hard to see due to the angle.
Ohhhh. Nice! Today I learned.
Congrats on that milestone, @7eregrine! Do you ride in the winter as well?
No, I have a hard rule: I do not ride below 50. I like riding and above all else if it isn't fun, I won't do it. Riding below 50...isn't fun for me.
I have a Nordic Track indoor bike I probably have mentioned somewhere in here. I also do HIIT training through the iFit program. I was waiting to post the milestone for that. :D Last year I hit 100 rides on the indoor bike on 12/31. There was a challenge to hit 100 that I found out about like 12/26 and I was real close. This year, today was #187.
I'm all about cardio and SOME light weight training. Not like you ballers. :D

Ohhhh. Nice! Today I learned.

No, I have a hard rule: I do not ride below 50. I like riding and above all else if it isn't fun, I won't do it. Riding below 50...isn't fun for me.
I have a Nordic Track indoor bike I probably have mentioned somewhere in here. I also do HIIT training through the iFit program. I was waiting to post the milestone for that. :D Last year I hit 100 rides on the indoor bike on 12/31. There was a challenge to hit 100 that I found out about like 12/26 and I was real close. This year, today was #187.
I'm all about cardio and SOME light weight training. Not like you ballers. :D

You're doing way better than me lol, some light training is about all I get up to these days, and admittedly only because I've been lazy.

Nice! You made them look pretty easy if I'm being honest. Seems like you could add an extra 10-20 lbs on both your bench and deadlift, and maybe another 20 on your squat. I see 1300 for you next year for sure.

In my unprofessional opinion, the squat might have cut a bit too high in a competitive setting, but for a PR I'd say great squat.
I agree with you on the squat, it's bothered me. One friend who lifts competitively says redlight. Another guy (owner of the gym, and familiar with competition) says 2/3 judges would have white lighted it. My former trainer says it was a rep. I personally feel that in competition setting, it would see a redlight, but in MY setting, I white light it, because it 1) Wasn't a competition lift, 2) I also didn't weigh every weight and bar used, so it's not 100% legal anyway, and it's not like the lift was short-changed, the debate is more technical. 3) I would have used a belt in competition, and the rest periods would have been longer, so I am 100% confident in a "true competition setting" that I am capable of 1200#+ totals.

The squat was a 40# all time PR, the DL was 50#. I don't typically lift too heavy, so I pushed myself for this.

1200# club doesn't feel special to be honest. I have friends hanging out in the @1800 arena who are lifetime natural. I think now I'm going to reduce my weight a bit and just do 225#x10 for bench sets, 275 for squats, 315 for deads, 135 for OHPs, and work on reducing calorie intake, maintaining power, and cutting down to 8-12% body fat over the next 6 mo.

Not sure how I missed this thread.

I'm on board 100%. I'm in my mid 60's now and have been regularly working out since my early 20's, same for my wife, we've been married for 46 years now, and this is a priority for us.

Back in the early days we had gym memberships but soon tired of this. When we bought our house, in the mid 1980's, we decided that we needed a dedicated gym of our own. So, when I finished the basement, that's exactly what we did.

The gym walls are covered in mirrors, and we have a jamming stereo system in there. Gotta have some tunes, loud tunes, to work out to.

The basement ceiling height put a limit on some of the equipment that we wanted but we managed.

The list.

Bowflex gym (I had to remove some ceiling tiles to make this baby fit), treadmill, recombinant bike, Nordictrack CC ski machine, Concept II rowing machine, along with various free weights and barbells.

We alternate between strength training and aerobic workouts, working out 5 to 6 days a week.

I gotta brag on one thing here, sorry. I'm pretty proud of my pushup count.

Mid 60's and I can easily do 80 pushups in 60 seconds. Not a huge number but at my age? Yeah.

Last edited:
My wife and I are both retired but back when we used to have to work for a living, we'd get up at 5am, have our coffee and head for the basement for a couple of hours before work. Now that we're retired, it's WAY easier to make the time (unfortunately, we still get up at 5am).

We still have our coffee first of course but can take our time. In fact, it's almost time to head down to the dungeon, I mean the gym. now. Aerobic day for me.

My path continues. Currently 230# BW, 5'10.75" height. Considering a cut at this point. Strength is decent for someone who doesn't compete, etc. and has a fulltime job not involving fitness.

My current goal is a 225# strict OHP, at 195# presently for this lift.

Back