TCS off?

Doubtful but youre welcome to give it an analysis and let us know. Basically it only engages during split moments of awesomeness and stupidity just to straighten out the car, sense'd electronically, its not a belt driven system for on\off so I'd doubt it does anything....However, I swear it shifts better with it off too...but its a mental retardation of mine and I am crazy.

However, I swear it shifts better with it off too...but its a mental retardation of mine and I am crazy.

No, no, I'm on the same boat as you. Maybe it's a mental thing for me too, but my 2 seems easier to take off from a dead stop with the TCS off. I'm not talking a drag launch or anything, but a normal take off.

I'm interested to learn more about our DSC. isn't the TSC just the traction part of it? One front wheel spins, it applies the brake to that one.... Somehow.... But I want to know what the computer does when I hit a corner fast enough to lift that inside rear. Because I swear something clicks/engages and it isn't an ABS-engagement click.

Anyways, I run with TCS off 70% of the time. If anything I'd think it would hurt mileage being on, by hindering your forward movement by applying brakes, therefore Wasting that energy it just took to get going and spin that wheel. But in my opinion, unless you're sitting there roasting the tires, the effect seems minuscule to me.

I'm interested to learn more about our DSC. isn't the TSC just the traction part of it? One front wheel spins, it applies the brake to that one.... Somehow.... But I want to know what the computer does when I hit a corner fast enough to lift that inside rear. Because I swear something clicks/engages and it isn't an ABS-engagement click.

Anyways, I run with TCS off 70% of the time. If anything I'd think it would hurt mileage being on, by hindering your forward movement by applying brakes, therefore Wasting that energy it just took to get going and spin that wheel. But in my opinion, unless you're sitting there roasting the tires, the effect seems minuscule to me.

I hear the click too, anytime I take a corner really fast. I think it's the same click that can be heard when you first start the car up.
I wonder if the click is activating anything on those fast corners; I haven't noticed anything, just a sound.

When I AutoX I have the TSC off. You can trigger it by lifting a wheel or spinning a wheel really easy. I don't feel the DSC working with the TSC turned off and I have given the 2 plenty of reasons to engage. The ABS still operates regardless.

-Derrick

I forgot to shut it off last week and got stuck in 8" of snow. I was backing up through it and the car went blahhhhhh and lost momentum.

Doh!!!!!! (followed by sound of hand slapping forehead)

Don't know if it affects gas mileage but it sure affects momentum.

John

I have a mazda5 without TCS, and a MAZDA2 with TCS.

I think TCS just takes over the easing off of the gas when it senses the tires are spinning. like when coming out of the stop sign in an icy intersection.
It makes the mazda2 slower.. it does not see the 'dry' patch ahead of the icy area. Without TCS, experienced drivers know how to modulate the gas
to 'spin the tires until it bites' while still point the car straight. With TCS off, I noticed it is 'faster'. But with TCS on, I can just drive and not worry about
the tires spinning to much. If I don't mind a boring drive, I keep it turned on. If I want to have a bit of zoom zoom and control. I turn it off.

^ ^ ^ I agree with the above poster and I find this to be the case even in dry ( non icy ) conditions.

I just went out for a ride and I turned TCS off and on while I did some stop and goes and tight turns.

I noticed a significant difference pulling away from a stop with the TCS off, it wasn't subtle. The acceleration seemed much smoother and faster, like a restrictor was being taken off the engine. I did this many times while doing an A/B comparison between the two states.

I also noticed ( as you would expect ) that the car seemed less stable and sure footed in the tight bumpy stuff with the TCS off.

The electronic steering assist motor seemed dampened ( or restricted ) with the TCS on which resulted in less body roll because the wheel wouldn't snap quite as quick.

I think I am going to run a few tanks with TCS off and see if I notice any mpg trends.

Anyway, just my observations, feel free to post your own :D

Last edited:
Does it turn anything else off when holding the button? I know on both my speed3 and my 8, pushing the button turned one off, and holding for 5 seconds disabled both.

I'll play with this tomorrow and see what I see.

Good question Maxus, I don't know. I guess we could refer to our owner manuals.

Let us know what you find out.

Alright, played with it a little over lunch. Holding it doesn't do anything more. If you hold it for like 30 seconds, it turns back on and you can't turn it off again until you restart the car (which is a reasonable failsafe).

I agree that throttle response feels a little better with it off (which translates to better shifts), but i also think that could just be a mental thing because i'm looking for a difference. it's wet around here and roads are narrow, so I didn't run with it off for that long just to make sure i didn't do anything stupid.

so.... that's that. color me slightly disappointed. at least we know now i guess.

Page 5-22 of the 2012 US owners manual says " Press the DSC off switch to turn off the TCS/DSC. " It doesn't mention anything about pressing once or more than once to turn the two off independently.

So that seems to confirm your observation that it appears that both TCS and DSC are shut off with one push of the button.

The picture shows the location of the button to the left of the steering wheel, on the lower left of the dash, below the left most air vent.

Last edited:
My mazda 2 2011 sport dont have any TCS button, so I want to know how to disable and enable it? or how to install a button for it, please some help.

Back