Subwoofer install pics

Better picture of my sub:

DSC_1263.jpg

^Either way it's hitting harder and louder than stock thanks to wiring it to 1 ohm. But in theory because the gain is turned up, the sub is drawing more power from the amp when the bass hits.

I did some research so i made sure I didn't sound like an idiot but here's a good definition of gain(amplification): "the amount of increase in signal power or voltage or current expressed as the ratio of output to input."

No. The gain just changes how sensitive the amp is to the input, it will not put out more than rated power if you turn up the gain, it will only start clipping, which will destroy your sub, and then your amp.

Think of the gain as a fixed-length ramp, and the more you turn it up, the steeper the ramp is. The ramp does not get any longer, it just gets to max faster, which can be bad if it is too steep and now you are over-driving the amp to clip the sine way into a square wave, which will fry the voice coils in your sub really fast. Then you amp will see 0 ohms of impedance, and fry itself.

I worked as a car audio sales supervisor for 5 years. I know what I am talking about ;)

Mazda003.jpg

My old set-up, before my car got broken into (on my birthday!) during my hunt for a privacy cover.. bummer.

If you do go for another system, you need a fuse on each line coming from that power distribution block.

Last edited:
yo, one of you's should post up a pic of the grommet you put your power wire through!

I've been stumped on this one for like a month! (it's on the back burner of my things to do.. so maybe that's why it's taking so long lol)

yo, one of you's should post up a pic of the grommet you put your power wire through!

I've been stumped on this one for like a month! (it's on the back burner of my things to do.. so maybe that's why it's taking so long lol)

It's in the driver's side fender between the fender and the door. Just pull the entire fender liner and you will see it.

Here is mine, I still need to re-carpet the sub because I modified the enclosure, and need to find a way to hide the amp wires better
32625650154_large.jpg

32625650151_large.jpg

More pictures at Cardomain (link in my sig)

i know with mine, i have a main fuse by the battery, and fuses for each amp. added protection yo!

the only problem i see with that setup (speedracer's pictures) is the power wire very close to the signal wires.

If they cross at a 90 degree angle, then it is ok.

Yes the power line fuse should be within 18" of the battery, and there should ALWAYS be one.

The fuses in your amp are to protect your amp. The fuse on the power wire is to protect the wire. There are a few amps that have external fuses (high powered kicker amps come to mind) that mount on the power line very close to the amp, but a power wire near the battery is still required.

Sleezer1533, you need fuses after the distribution block

Niiiice. How's it sound? JL's are the tightest sub for the money IMHO. And 10's are small enough to be responsive and big enough to bump when you want it.

I have my alpine sub amp under the driver's seat. Fits perfectly. But it's a smaller size amp. I power two infinity fronts and alpine rears with my alpine HU's internal amp. My Alphasonic 4 channel amp got stolen. (shrug)NYC(shrug) It's still surprisingly loud tho.

It sounds really nice, perfect bump for rock and extremely nice sound for hip hop. It can get pretty bumpin' during some rap songs, which I love! It only has 150w going to the sub and the other 150w divided into my two front speakers but it sounds great for the small amount of power being given to it (it's actually the "optimum" power recommended by JL for both longevity and sound), plus it's still breaking in. I've read reviews of others saying after a week or so of use it sounds much better, I can't wait to see.

It's in the driver's side fender between the fender and the door. Just pull the entire fender liner and you will see it.

Thanks man! I've finally got it hooked up now!! Took some pics of the procedure, will be posting them up here shortly.. Can't believe no one else has done so!

BTW - system sound pretty sweet! (guitar)

Here is mine, I still need to re-carpet the sub because I modified the enclosure, and need to find a way to hide the amp wires better
32625650151_large.jpg

More pictures at Cardomain (link in my sig)

OMG what a mess, get some loom and zip ties. danggggggg

Back