2017~2024 Strange Oil Change problem - can't read the dipstick properly, low oil level warning

Yes, the manual indicates an oil level issue which is the only issue and owner can affect. However, how do you think they measure the oil level in a running engine that has the oil sloshing around from curves and start stops? I believe it is done by measuring the oil pressure. Where is the oil pressure light/gauge that is standard on other autos? Put an OBD Scanner on it and see what the oil pressure is when the light is on and off and I think you will see that the light responds to oil pressure.
Later MY gen-2 CX-5’s, I believe starting from 2018 CX-5 2.5L with CD, and 2019 CX-5 2.5T turbo, have both Low Oil Pressure Warning Light and Low Oil Level Warning Light in dash.
attachment.php

View attachment 221577

Yes, the manual indicates an oil level issue which is the only issue and owner can affect. However, how do you think they measure the oil level in a running engine that has the oil sloshing around from curves and start stops? I believe it is done by measuring the oil pressure. Where is the oil pressure light/gauge that is standard on other autos? Put an OBD Scanner on it and see what the oil pressure is when the light is on and off and I think you will see that the light responds to oil pressure.
The CX-5 does not have an oil pressure sensor. It has a Low pressure switch in it, but not one that measures actual pressure.

I found this out after I bought an OBD2 reader and software. I specifically wanted to add oil pressure to an "extended dash" on my tablet, and it is not an available data point.

The CX-5 does not have an oil pressure sensor. It has a Low pressure switch in it, but not one that measures actual pressure.

I found this out after I bought an OBD2 reader and software. I specifically wanted to add oil pressure to an "extended dash" on my tablet, and it is not an available data point.
Strangely I have trouble to find the low oil pressure sensor, which usually located near oil filter housing. Based on your finding, I wonder if there’s none actually? The oil pressure gauge uses the different resistance signal outputted from low oil pressure sensor. Mazda may use some other way such as getting some signal from Oil Control Valve, P/N: PE0114440A ?

Strangely I have trouble to find the low oil pressure sensor, which usually located near oil filter housing. Based on your finding, I wonder if there’s none actually? The oil pressure gauge uses the different resistance signal outputted from low oil pressure sensor. Mazda may use some other way such as getting some signal from Oil Control Valve, P/N: PE0114440A ?
I asked Chris where he pulled the pressure from for the gauge array he has in his CX-5. He uses an aftermarket adapter ring that goes between the filter and the engine block.

Interesting thought you have. So perhaps the pressure is being sent to the computer.

I'll have to do some searching on OBD software forums to see if others have found a way to get to this. I dropped it when (1) I was told there is no oil pressure sending unit, and (2) Mazda was slow in providing the 2019 MY data to ScanTool. (I just looked, the extra-cost 2019 Mazda-specific PIDS were just rolled out by them last month.)

Thanks, cz5gt & Christopher! I'll just dump the rest of the jug in. After doing my own servicing of my wife's 2010 3S and my former 2011 3i Touring, this new car is very complicated - 600+ page owners manual? I had to find a web-based one that was searchable.
My owners manual (2020 cx5 2.5L) says 4.8 quarts with a filter change. I too would like to put 5.5 quarts in though am hesitant to do so. From the factory it was just above the halfway mark.

Do the 5.5 qt because it will still be hair below the full line when checked cold. Done it more times than I can count.

I've always put 5 quarts. About mid level between low and high on the oil stick. Cant be bothered with 0.5 qrts extra.
No issues whatsoever but I also change oil early too because I dont drive much so no fillups between changes needed.

I thought it was just ME... first oil change and I added 5qt + new OEM filter. Noticed it barely goes above the low-fill dot :( Frustrating. Mobil1 0W20 and Mazda oil filter, checked warm, cold & hot, it's always registering at the low end of the low/high dots. WHY would Mazda create a dipstick like that?

everything with mazda is min and max :)
same with liquids, same with torque. As long as you are somewhere in between you are ok.
5 quarts should get you around the middle usually.

everything with mazda is min and max :)
same with liquids, same with torque. As long as you are somewhere in between you are ok.
5 quarts should get you around the middle usually.
Odd... such a great car, it's odd to me they'd make a dipstick that doesn't even accurately reflect the fluid level. Is there an aftermarket dipstick that correctly registers the oil level?

Odd... such a great car, it's odd to me they'd make a dipstick that doesn't even accurately reflect the fluid level. Is there an aftermarket dipstick that correctly registers the oil level?
Why? If you think that you know the dipstick is wrong, then just mentally adjust accordingly. Alternatively, drill another little hole in your dipstick that's lower than the 'low' mark by about half the distance between your low and max marks.

I was confused by your first post, but I think I understand now. The dipstick does accurately reflect the level of fluid, but you believe that the Min and Max marks are off. That's one way to view this situation. The other way that some users approach this is that Mazda's listed oil capacity is wrong, and the Min/Max marks on the dipstick are in the right place.

As far as I know, there are no aftermarket dipsticks available, but you can DIY your own as @RedBaron suggested, if you'd like. I think aftermarket dipstick handles are available, but not the entire dipstick.

Just as a note, your owner's manual does state that most fluid capacities are approximate quantities. I would personally keep track of how much oil is required to get the level to the Max mark (if that is your preference), then fill with that amount on every subsequent oil change. IMO, it is highly unlikely that the dipstick has the markings in the wrong place.

I was confused by your first post, but I think I understand now. The dipstick does accurately reflect the level of fluid, but you believe that the Min and Max marks are off. That's one way to view this situation. The other way that some users approach this is that Mazda's listed oil capacity is wrong, and the Min/Max marks on the dipstick are in the right place.

Just as a note, your owner's manual does state that most fluid capacities are approximate quantities. I would personally keep track of how much oil is required to get the level to the Max mark (if that is your preference), then fill with that amount on every subsequent oil change. IMO, it is highly unlikely that the dipstick has the markings in the wrong place.
A) Yes. I'm frustrated that either the marks are off or it takes more oil than Mazda thinks - so it makes me mad that I gamble with over-filling the car and damaging the motor, or under-filling it... which appears to be what everyone is doing.

B) I'd happily fill it so the dipstick shows a full crankcase, but Mazda's engineers or whomever, say 4.8qt. So I guess I just live with the dumb dipstick or fill 'er up and see what happens. I tend to keep vehicles a LONG, long time; my 2005 Tacoma has 228K on it.

I have the same problem: slopes everywhere. I take mine to a flat spot down the street and park it overnight. Check it first thing in the morning. Never had a problem reading the dipstick.
To clarify, that idiot light is for low oil pressure, not level. The level has to be a lot lower than four qts. for that light to go on.
There is an idiot light for low oil level in my 2018 CX-5. It glows yellow. Oil pressure light is red.

I have the same problem: slopes everywhere. I take mine to a flat spot down the street and park it overnight. Check it first thing in the morning. Never had a problem reading the dipstick.

To clarify, that idiot light is for low oil pressure, not level. The level has to be a lot lower than four qts. for that light to go on.
My 2018 CX-5 has a low oil level idiot light that glows yellow. Low oil pressure glows red.

I would not drill holes in the dipstick.

First, there could always be the tiniest of microscopic metal shavings left when you put it back in, even if you clean it off.

The dipstick is an accurate measurement. It's measuring what's in there. Imo, the manual capacities are slightly off and you want your oil to be between the 2 holes. It's like sex, guns and horseshoes, close be good enough.

If you drill lower holes, you will be underfilling. Most mazda dealerships actually fill it over the top hole, which is quite annoying. Additionally, most garages only take 5 minute oil changes, quick drain, slap on the filter and plug and fill it back up. Imo, the listed capacities are probably accurate for quick fills. For those of use that drain the oil for 15-20 minutes or longer, approx. 5 quarts is needed for or the NA.

Not to mention if your engine blows, they'll be like "why's this guy have three holes on his dipstick ? "

Last edited:
Why? If you think that you know the dipstick is wrong, then just mentally adjust accordingly. Alternatively, drill another little hole in your dipstick that's lower than the 'low' mark by about half the distance between your low and max marks.
If you drill a hole in the dipstick LOWER than the “Min” mark, that is a dangerous proposition. For one it’ll give a false impression that the engine has enough oil but lt actually isn’t; and if the engine is the 2.5L NA with CD the Low Oil Level Warning Light wil be lit when the oil level is reaching to the factory “Min” mark, way above the new hole drilled.

A) Yes. I'm frustrated that either the marks are off or it takes more oil than Mazda thinks - so it makes me mad that I gamble with over-filling the car and damaging the motor, or under-filling it... which appears to be what everyone is doing.

B) I'd happily fill it so the dipstick shows a full crankcase, but Mazda's engineers or whomever, say 4.8qt. So I guess I just live with the dumb dipstick or fill 'er up and see what happens. I tend to keep vehicles a LONG, long time; my 2005 Tacoma has 228K on it.
My 2016 CX-5 is my first Mazda, and was also confused by the fluid capacities listed in the owner’s manual. The first oil change I disregarded the 4.8 quarts spec and put in 5.2 quarts to reach the Full mark based on the discussion in this forum. Then I found the inconsistency didn’t stop at the engine oil capacity, but also on other fluids. Rear differential capacity specs 4.8 quart for gen-1 CX-5 AWD, but it actually needs about 0.75 quart, 56% more! On the other hand, the front transfer case specs 0.48 quart, and it needs 0.48 quart.

“Approximate quantity” or not, it’s this inconsistency makes DIYers confused. Added with Mazda’s special using a range on torque specs instead of a single value, this experience is totally different from any other vehicle brand.

Back