Steering making noise (2019 CX-9). Any ideas?

2019 CX9

This sound started this morning

Makes the same sound when cornering after passing center

Any ideas or direction to a thread?

Attachments

• 20230314_160836.mp4
    25.3 MB
Ez guess would be outer tie rod but thats a new one. If it just all of a sudden happened I would say something is broken and not worn out if that makes any sense. Need a helper to be on the outside to isolate. You think its on the outside? Maybe the steering column spline under the dash?

I think its in the cabin but I have no extra hands around me to assist looking, I appreciate being pointed in a direction. I miss my old trucks I'm afraid to mess with this new fangled thing to much haha

Hard to tell from the video but it sounds like it is inside and not outside. You can try with the windows down and windows closed to see if the noise is louder with the window open.

Honestly it sounds like the trim around your steering wheel is misaligned and is catching when you turn the wheel. But we can’t really tell from the video.

If you look up how to install a remote starter on this forum or on YouTube, you will find instructions how to remove that steering wheel plastic cover if you want to take a look

That's really interesting. I think thats your electric power steering motor. In the old days the steering shaft would go down to a frame mounted gearbox, then the force would be transferred thru a pitman arm. There must be some normal force fore and aft but contained by that steering motor. You have "wander" of the front end on the highway? Hate to see that come apart on you when your driving

Side note I found a YouTube video of someone with a cx5 that the pinch bolt had come loose. The one clamping the u-joint to the motor shaft. It was meduim tight but he said it was creaking for a long time. He gave it a little bump and fixed his noise. Yours isnt that. Yours looks like a bearing or thrust bearing/washer failure. Car ever been in an accident?

That's really interesting. I think thats your electric power steering motor. In the old days the steering shaft would go down to a frame mounted gearbox, then the force would be transferred thru a pitman arm. There must be some normal force fore and aft but contained by that steering motor. You have "wander" of the front end on the highway? Hate to see that come apart on you when your driving
No wandering at all its very tight and responsive

Side note I found a YouTube video of someone with a cx5 that the pinch bolt had come loose. The one clamping the u-joint to the motor shaft. It was meduim tight but he said it was creaking for a long time. He gave it a little bump and fixed his noise. Yours isnt that. Yours looks like a bearing or thrust bearing/washer failure. Car ever been in an accident?
I checked the pinch bolt already has no play, never been in an accident.

16793439355571624004180470103995.jpg16793440205094108322782146770319.jpg
Well if that's the cost I aint fixing it, they tell me it's non serviceable have to replace entire thing

That dealership is adding quite a bit to the price. Mazdastuff and mazdaswag are good places. Both have that part for $990 ish. Unbelievable, over 4 times. I dispise dealers...as a rule. Google that part number. I bet the D verson will work too

eBay is one of the safest places to buy things anymore. If there's any problem whatsoever all you have to do is file a dispute with eBay saying the "item is not as described" and it's an automatic refund. They even pay return shipping

Might be able to seat it again, kinda hard to assess it in such a confined space. But if anything like my truck a rubber mallet might do the trick

That dealership is adding quite a bit to the price. Mazdastuff and mazdaswag are good places. Both have that part for $990 ish. Unbelievable, over 4 times. I dispise dealers...as a rule. Google that part number. I bet the D verson will work too
Mainly went to the dealership to get printouts see if I could see anything on paper

And that's not even including labour. Crap like this is why people call them stealerships.

Back