Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

The S7 explodes. It was banned from air travel because it was deemed a fire/explosion hazard. When you are asked to leave your phone behind to board...that's a flop in my book. Sorry.

I thought that was the Note7?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not on topic but related.

I had a chance recently to get my hands on, and play with, a Microsoft HoloLens headset for a weekend. All I can say is WoW!!!!!!!!

My oldest son is the senior programmer for a defense contractor and his company uses these to develop some of the software he writes. He came up for a weekend visit and brought one of the company's HoloLens with him. This thing is incredible! All the rooms and walls in our house were mapped with the HoloLens and once that was done the fun began. We played some kind of mystery game in which clues are found by searching the house. With all the walls mapped the clues were actually hidden in some parts of the walls. I knocked a brick out of one of the walls and a clue was inside. What was so cool about that is that when I knocked out the 'brick' it fell onto the back of the couch and sat there, on the back of the couch.

Down in the basement the HoloLens created a window in a wall that you could look out of, all 3-d of course. There were clues on the ground outside of the window.

VERY cool!

I'm running a skylake 6700k,980ti, 3400ddr4, m.2 ssd, liquid cooled, no overclock. I'm upgrading to a 1080ti. btw it was christmas when I put it together. it's all red now. the monitor is a 3440x1440 ultrawide.

34u_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
pc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

I had a chance recently to get my hands on, and play with, a Microsoft HoloLens headset for a weekend. All I can say is WoW!!!!!!!!

My oldest son is the senior programmer for a defense contractor and his company uses these to develop some of the software he writes. He came up for a weekend visit and brought one of the company's HoloLens with him. This thing is incredible! All the rooms and walls in our house were mapped with the HoloLens and once that was done the fun began. We played some kind of mystery game in which clues are found by searching the house. With all the walls mapped the clues were actually hidden in some parts of the walls. I knocked a brick out of one of the walls and a clue was inside. What was so cool about that is that when I knocked out the 'brick' it fell onto the back of the couch and sat there, on the back of the couch.

Down in the basement the HoloLens created a window in a wall that you could look out of, all 3-d of course. There were clues on the ground outside of the window.

VERY cool!

Wow, that is awesome. I always wanted to play with HoloLens. It looks very cool.

Edit: Loving the rigs. Any of you also on overclock.net by chance?

Hmmm... anyone else notice how this brand attracts "eccentric enthusiasts"...
(gossip)

If I could get a dedicated iPad that has access to my work VPN, I'd never use even the laptop.

Media center doesn't count. [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I'm running a skylake 6700k,980ti, 3400ddr4, m.2 ssd, liquid cooled, no overclock. I'm upgrading to a 1080ti. btw it was christmas when I put it together. it's all red now. the monitor is a 3440x1440 ultrawide.

34u_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
pc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice! Looks very similar to what I bought. For monitors, I like smaller. 19-24". With a FPS, it makes playing easier because you move your eyes not your head, and have denser pixels at a given resolution. I went with FHD, and a 24". 165Hz refresh rate with GSync to match my NVIDIA. I don't have the $1200 for a proper gaming monitor approaching 4K. This one only ran me $358, as I bought a factory refurb, retail on new was $550 from Amazon, so I consider it worth it.

Hmmm... anyone else notice how this brand attracts "eccentric enthusiasts"...
(gossip)

Well, I dunno...to be fair, every forum I am on has eccentric people. Guys on the gun forums driving 1200hp Supra's, guys on the Corvette forums with 8-core Haswell back when it was $$$$$$$$$. So on and so forth. Mainly, I think it's anyone who uses the internet. We see s***, and we have poor impulse control or we get excited, and we get into that stuff, lol!

VERY cool!

Posts like this make my debit card want to put you on the iggy. That is tits!

I have 1 1060 6gb replaced two 560tis and i can playvall my game at max including bf1 at 1080p

AMD FX-8350 8 core @ 4ghz
16gb ddr3
500gb Samsung ssd
320gb 7200rpm
150gb 10000rpm
80gb 10000rpm

Last edited:
He might use his PC for video editing and 3-d work, in which case the extra power could be put to use. In the gaming world though, unless you're investing in the new Acer that's pumping out 144Hz 4K, I think it's a waste, but I have been wrong before...

The S7 explodes. It was banned from air travel because it was deemed a fire/explosion hazard. When you are asked to leave your phone behind to board...that's a flop in my book. Sorry.
I'm not saying it's a waste. I don't care what people do with thier money. It's just overkill. He could be doing CGI or 3D animation and still only need 1. Maybe dual 4K monitors? You don't need much to run 2 regular monitors.

Here's mine. i7 @ 3.8Ghz, 1070 GTX, 256 M2, 2 TB spinner, 2 TB NAS, Dual monitors, RGB mechanical keyboard, Razer Nostromo.

3d76a26232111faee3dc26a3c2efb00a.jpg

ae99bcbeaba750f6df90824823ad69ef.jpg

I'm not saying it's a waste. I don't care what people do with thier money. It's just overkill. He could be doing CGI or 3D animation and still only need 1. Maybe dual 4K monitors? You don't need much to run 2 regular monitors.

Dunno enough about CGI or 3D to honestly know, was just my guess. He could also be simply planning to buy a 144Hz 4K monitor and really tear it up!

Here's mine. i7 @ 3.8Ghz, 1070 GTX, 256 M2, 2 TB spinner, 2 TB NAS, Dual monitors, RGB mechanical keyboard, Razer Nostromo.

3d76a26232111faee3dc26a3c2efb00a.jpg

ae99bcbeaba750f6df90824823ad69ef.jpg

Epic! Is the keyboard and sexy mouse really worth it though? I know a lot of people swear by them, but I have always just used cheap junk for it.

Better question: what do the gamers among us play?
I'm playing Battlefield 1, Dying Light, Unreal Tournament Alpha once in awhile if I can find a server. Looking forward to Quake Champions.

Epic! Is the keyboard and sexy mouse really worth it though? I know a lot of people swear by them, but I have always just used cheap junk for it.
I assume you mean the mechanical piece and not the RGB. Lol. Yea, it's worth it. Typing is more accurate for sure. I can't type and I make less typos on it. Normal keyboards now to me just feel mushy...
/Edit/ oh and the mouse. It was free. I had a Logitech MX510 before that for years. I don't think you need to spend a lot on a mouse but you should have one with extra buttons if you're a gamer. This one has 4 regular buttons, 2 buttons to change dpi, and one more called a "snipe" button. It jacks the DPI to minimum but only while you hold it down.

Last edited:
Once you go mechanical keyboard you never go back. Mine has Cherry MX-Reds. Absolutely love it for gaming. They took a bit for me to get used to, but now will never go back.

I haven't been playing to much lately, but the games I've been playing include:

Subnautica, Cities: Skylines, SOMA, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, 7 Days to Die, Deus Ex.

Back