SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

A heads up for those who prefer Blackstone and gets low viscosity.
I would recommend testing with OilAnalyzers as they actually check for fuel in oil.
Sample below showed 3.8% from OilAnalyzers and no fuel with Blackstone. I left a note in comments that fuel dilution is suspected.

The car actually turned out having leaking injector.

One more point on labs. The Blackstone is very popular lab, but they don't do oil analysis even though they provide the "Fuel %" value in the report.
They simply check flashpoint, but their staff seem to think its a reliable test. I have send my previous sample with 3.8% to them in parallel and their recommendation was totally misleading:
attachment.php

Last edited:
To me it looks the low oil visco at only 2100 miles oil is a an indicator something is not right. Indeed it is strange they mentioned this as normal thing.

Leaking injector is a possible cause for mixing fuel into the oil but at 10000 miles I am a bit surprised.
Do you drive primarily short distances and city traffic?

Once I got first analysis with 5% in 3500: I changed oil type, switched from Regular to Premium and did at least 70% highway driving and on top of that it was summer instead of winter. And I got 3.8% fuel in 2100 miles anyways :)

I think something happened around 6-8k
After first oil change I remember the oil level was burning out consistently. Then it stopped. And I never saw it dropping or consistent again. Only going up.

Last edited:
Looks alright, silicone increase is interesting. While wear never seemed to increase with fuel dilution increase, based on my results I decided to cap OCIs to 7,500 miles.
Another stamp of approval to Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil. I use Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil since new and have stocked enough moly oil for the next 2 oil changes (along with 18 OEM Tokyo Roki oil filters) for my 2016 CX-5. Yeah Id do the same capped the OCI to 7,500 miles like Mazda recommended.

My latest report. They recommend going 10K miles. Not sure if I want to go that long or not.
Savageese a YT reviewer sent his factory oil on his Mazda3 for analysis and blackstone recommended 15K miles for him. I am sticking at 7500-8500 miles. My last OC was at a dealer without moly and man their oil sucked. Its been only a day on mobil1 and its a world of difference. One day in the future at 80-100K miles I will switch to 10 - 12K miles per OC. That would be sweet.

A dedicated thread was mentioned for oil analysis tests so I will start this thread off with mine. I realize there are numerous other threads with oil reports. Hopefully this one will be easier to find.

Just came in about 10 minutes ago.

Looks overall good to me

What are thoughts on the higher viscosity?

I did change on cold motor and at around 1/3 of a drain I took sample

I sure wish the pre-'16s allowed for the extended drain intervals.

OilReport.png
I couldn't open the report

I'm going 10k. Usually I have to add oil around 7.5k though. That refreshes it a bit as well.

I couldn't open the report

Possibly due to the forum switchover. Some assets were unaffected, while others were not carried over. I think it depends on where the asset was hosted.

This reminds me that I completely forgot to send in my sample from June/July (I forget). Think it's too late, or shouldn't be affected at all having sat sealed under my seat with me forgetting to mail it?

I am now 7100 miles since last change. Thinking about doing the oil change this weekend as it is warmer again (though I haven't looked to see if it is staying warmer). I have 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum in right now, definitely curious to see the report of that versus the 0w20 Castrol Edge I was using. Can say I did not have to add a quart running these longer intervals like I did with the 0w20. Still...half a quart, but that is less than the quart and probably partly because I spilled some of the original 5 quart jug really. ;)

This reminds me that I completely forgot to send in my sample from June/July (I forget). Think it's too late, or shouldn't be affected at all having sat sealed under my seat with me forgetting to mail it?

I think it should be fine if the oil container is leak-proof. But I'd email the lab first, just to be sure. I don't know if moisture/condensation would be an issue.

Last edited:
;)

Given what oil goes though in your engine, I think sitting under the seat is like a vacation in the Bahamas to it.

Can say I did not have to add a quart running these longer intervals like I did with the 0w20. Still...half a quart, but that is less than the quart and probably partly because I spilled some of the original 5 quart jug really. ;)

Any noticeable drop in gas mileage? I’d take slight mpg loss for that difference in oil consumption. That’s great to hear!

Any noticeable drop in gas mileage? I’d take slight mpg loss for that difference in oil consumption. That’s great to hear!

Maybe? I don't really pay much attention to MPG. According to my dash info, my avg has increased since this time last year.

I already asked Blackstone about sending in a sample that had been sitting on my garage shelf for several months. They told me it's no problem at all.

Screenshot_2020-01-23-21-42-03~2.png

my latest report.
Mazda moly 0w20. 2.5NA

The oil did great given the fact this was driven in constant 110F and high loads this summer in Arizona.

I would definitely stretch your OCI longer. There’s a lot of life left in that oil.

I agree. Based off of the TBN reading of 4.7 on the first oil change, you could give 5000 miles and higher a shot.

I do it every 6 mo because I dont make many miles and also live in a very dusty and very hot summer climate.
10k would be more than 1 year for me but I agree with all of you that this oil is very capable.

Back