SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

They stated that: "The only thing that stands out is a bit of fuel dilution." Why would they recommend pushing the oil further when it has fuel in the oil?
They state in their FAQ that fuel dilution can show if the engine isn't fully up to operating temp when the sample is taken.

As promised, just received the oil report from Blackstone this afternoon.

Came out great for 7664 mi, I usually don't go much more than this on my vehicles.

A little interesting in the way the comments were written, this time I ran the car for 45 min then left it sit for half hour or so to cool then changed oil, probably why fuel dilution disappeared this time.

Oil used was Ravenol 5w20 SFE.

1597890010858.png

Yes, running the car for a good long time (on the road, not idling) certainly will reduce fuel dilution readings. You're probably below maybe 2.5% this time, and TBN remains high.

Hey Guys,

Here is my oil analysis from my 16.5 CX-5 with 63k miles currently. I also posted this on BITOG

I'm hoping to run the Mobil M1-108A till it's approximately 18-19k miles before doing another analysis to see how the AMSOIL Signature 0W-20 is performing. Also, to clarify, I did not add any make up oil, I simply misread the question as "How much oil did you add into the engine after the change?"

7/25/20 (OLD) Setup:
Oil Used:
AMSOIL Signature 0W-20
Filter Used: AMSOIL EA15K12-EA

7/25/20 (NEW) Setup:
Oil Used:
AMSOIL Signature 0W-20
Filter Used: Mobil 1 M1-108A Extended Performance Oil Filter
1599338581355.png

Has anybody done a UOA using amsoil 0w-20? I use amsoil in my wife's wrangler and my Shelby gt500. I just bought a 2017 cx5 and debating what to put in after break in miles are completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I know you posted this about 3 years prior but I actually went through and found your comment regarding AMSOIL 0W-20 and I just posted my analysis of the Signature Series 0W-20. Not sure if you're using it already, but take a look if it helps.

Hey Guys,

Here is my oil analysis from my 16.5 CX-5 with 63k miles currently. I also posted this on BITOG

I'm hoping to run the Mobil M1-108A till it's approximately 18-19k miles before doing another analysis to see how the AMSOIL Signature 0W-20 is performing. Also, to clarify, I did not add any make up oil, I simply misread the question as "How much oil did you add into the engine after the change?"

7/25/20 (OLD) Setup:
Oil Used:
AMSOIL Signature 0W-20
Filter Used: AMSOIL EA15K12-EA

7/25/20 (NEW) Setup:
Oil Used:
AMSOIL Signature 0W-20
Filter Used: Mobil 1 M1-108A Extended Performance Oil Filter
View attachment 226811

Try with a Mazda Oem filter for comparison next time. I think the metal parts should be a bit lower. Its interesting that the visco went up. 13k miles is a lot :) I would shorten the period to 10k if it was me.

Try with a Mazda Oem filter for comparison next time. I think the metal parts should be a bit lower. Its interesting that the visco went up. 13k miles is a lot :) I would shorten the period to 10k if it was me.

I'll probably do that after the M1-108A since I'm curious to see if this engine can even go that far. The filter is rated for 20k/1 year but the oil itself is up to 25k/1 year. Anything that makes it so that I have to do less oil changes is fine by me with the least amount of compromise.

I seriously doubt 20,000+ miles can be done without seing the metal elements count going up and tbn going low enough.
I guess the viscosity is going up by design then if they claim 25.000 miles. To compensate but that doesn't mean that wear and some sludge isnt happening inside the engine.
If it was me, I would stick with 10-12k miles and oem filter on that oil and that engine.

btw, I am guessing also that you drive in cooler climate/area.

Last edited:
I'll probably do that after the M1-108A since I'm curious to see if this engine can even go that far. The filter is rated for 20k/1 year but the oil itself is up to 25k/1 year. Anything that makes it so that I have to do less oil changes is fine by me with the least amount of compromise.
So did you run 13,382 miles within 12 months for this UOA? Should mileage and time used be whichever comes first on OCI and oil / oil filter ratings?

I understand people changing oil much less frequently in Europe and 13,382 miles OCI is a norm for their oil change. But here in the US most people may not want to do this, not to mention 15,000 miles suggested by Blackstone Lab or your next plan to 18,000 ~ 19,000 miles. We drive our CX-5 a lot less, so 12 months has become our normal OCI, which is about 5,000 ~ 6,500 miles.

I seriously doubt 20,000+ miles can be done without seing the metal elements count going up and tbn going low enough.
I guess the viscosity is going up by design then if they claim 25.000 miles. To compensate but that doesn't mean that wear and some sludge isnt happening inside the engine.
If it was me, I would stick with 10-12k miles and oem filter on that oil and that engine.

btw, I am guessing also that you drive in cooler climate/area.

I'll probably do another oil analysis with Polaris next time since they are more thorough in their analysis and they also include oxidation. It's probably not worth it to use AMSOIL SS 0W-20 if I'm just going to be doing 10-12k OCI's because it's very expensive. If I were to be doing 10-12k OCIs, I would rather just stick with Mobil 1 and get them cheap. I'm from the east coast so it's fall/winter/spring/summer over here.

So did you run 13,382 miles within 12 months for this UOA? Should mileage and time used be whichever comes first on OCI and oil / oil filter ratings?

I understand people changing oil much less frequently in Europe and 13,382 miles OCI is a norm for their oil change. But here in the US most people may not want to do this, not to mention 15,000 miles suggested by Blackstone Lab or your next plan to 18,000 ~ 19,000 miles. We drive our CX-5 a lot less, so 12 months has become our normal OCI, which is about 5,000 ~ 6,500 miles.

I did my last oil change October 2019 and this test was done during July 2020 so it's barely a year yet but yes, it's well within the recommended OCI interval and below the recommended time/mileage interval. Personally, I don't know how accurate the manufacturers recommendation of the time/mileage interval is because I think it depends on various factors and the only way to find out is through an oil analysis. I used BlackStone because it was one of the most heavily recommended but as for my second oil change, I think I'll be using a better alternative like Polaris. The reason why I did 13.3k and not 15k is because I never ran an extended OCI before and I don't know what kind of stuff is going on inside the engine so I decided to err on the side of caution and have some leeway. I'm from the east coast and we have 4 seasons over here (Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer).

I've always just wanted to do extended OCIs for fun and also because I would have to get under the car a lot less and deal with the mess of oil changes. It's fun at first but it gets old quick, especially if it's snowing outside or I just want to do other things and not worry about when my next oil change is coming up soon. I know there's alternatives to make oil changes a bit easier (e.g. Fumoto, Stahlbus, EZ Valves) but then again, I would still need to drop the filter and replace it and IMO it kind of negates the reason to have a valve in the first place unless the filter is located inside the engine compartment like some vehicles.

One thing that comes to mind is I would not stray outside the manufacturers specified maintenance schedule while the vehicle is under warranty to avoid the potential of warranty coverage being denied if there was a claim. Outside of that, it's your car, do what you want.

Also, I'm not really a used car buyer but I would pass on a unit that had infrequent oil changes.

One thing that comes to mind is I would not stray outside the manufacturers specified maintenance schedule while the vehicle is under warranty to avoid the potential of warranty coverage being denied if there was a claim. Outside of that, it's your car, do what you want.

Also, I'm not really a used car buyer but I would pass on a unit that had infrequent oil changes.

My vehicle hasn't had warranty for a while now since I'm past the mileage/time so that's why I'm performing the extended OCI. Also, I am planning to keep this vehicle for a while so I don't think I'll be selling it until it breaks down.

I don't think resell value matters that much to me and when I last checked the resale price of a CX-5, it doesn't seem like it would be worth much. Personally, I think if the owner had a service record for everything (which I do), then I do not see why it would be a big deal but then again, to each his own.

Not directed particularly at you "D" but rather just information to consider when deciding to go your own way vs manufacturers way.

I love individual choice. It's your car, you do what you want with it :)

What's considered an 'extended OCI' in the US is just the normal OCI in most of Europe. Looking at the CX5 manitenence schedules for other countries, for most of Europe, Mazda says to use the oil life monitor or at least once a year or 12,500mi. While the US gets once a year or 7500 mi.

For the new model Mazda3 and CX-30, they are pushing going by the oil life monitor harder. But the max OCI interval is now 1 year or 10k miles (with the same engine as the CX5)

Last edited:
What's considered an 'extended OCI' in the US is just the normal OCI in most of Europe. Looking at the CX5 manitenence schedules for other countries, for most of Europe, Mazda says to use the oil life monitor or at least once a year or 12,500mi. While the US gets once a year or 7500 mi.

For the new model Mazda3 and CX-30, they are pushing going by the oil life monitor harder. But the max OCI interval is now 1 year or 10k miles (with the same engine as the CX5)
Actually when Mazda first implemented Flexible OCI for 2016 CX-5 MY in US market, the maximum Flexible OCI indeed is 10,000 miles or 12 months. Mazda then changed to 7,500 miles or 12 months on Flexible OCI starting with gen-2 CX-5 for 2017 MY.

in Eu oil changes are usually a bit more expensive but some oils are also a better quality as far as my experience goes.

Back