SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Factory fill oil - Used oil analysis from CX5 2.5T 2022. No idea what Oil Mazda fills in the factory.

CD155646-B30F-4995-B035-77428C2E3B2F.jpeg

Yes the 2.5 NA Mazda oem moly oil is great oil but unfortunately no such good fully syn oil is sold for the 2.5T by Mazda in NA. The oem 5w30 is not good and I think I heard its not even full syn.
The almost non existing Boron in this UOA and the crappy viscosity at such low miles makes me wonder if this factory fill is even full synthetic 5w30. Anyway the oil is gone and next Uoa would be for Amsoil XL 5w30.

Last edited:
Yes the 2.5 NA Mazda oem moly oil is great oil but unfortunately no such good fully syn oil is sold for the 2.5T by Mazda in NA. The oem 5w30 is not good and I think I heard its not even full syn.
The almost non existing Boron in this UOA and the crappy viscosity at such low miles makes me wonder if this factory fill is even full synthetic 5w30. Anyway the oil is gone and next Uoa would be for Amsoil XL 5w30.
No comments from this Blackstone Lab UOA report?

Yeah the OEM Mazda 5W-30 oil sold in the US Mazda dealers is presumably the Castrol GTX which isn’t a full synthetic oil. The parts guy at my Mazda dealer confirmed that too.

I have settled on Mobil 1 5W-30 EP in my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. The oil is full synthetic and low on sulfated ash content which supposedly is beneficial for DI engines. I only go 5000 miles between changes however, regardless of Mobil 1's claims that the oil is good for 20,000 miles. I'll get a Blackstone analysis done on the next oil change and post it here.

Looking to get a second lab report to compare to Blackstone . Seems alot like labone and Dyson went out of business. Is Oil Analyzer (Amsoil) any good? Are their results skewed toward their oil?
Any other labs?

Looking to get a second lab report to compare to Blackstone . Seems alot like labone and Dyson went out of business. Is Oil Analyzer (Amsoil) any good? Are their results skewed toward their oil?
Any other labs?
Oil Analyzers use Horizon labs, so it is not exactly under the Amsoil umbrella. And I never noticed any bias towards Amsoil in dozens of reports I got over years from couple of labs.

yea, amsoil have an agreement to use the lab but its not oil analysis by Amsoil.
That lab is also good for UOA because it gives a little more details that Blackstone doesnt give.

Ok. 3rd Blackstone report. Based on dealer oil change.

Alot of fuel dilution, low flashpoint and less tbn. I think they used cheap barrel oil.

1st report was based on dealer sales that used Mazda molyoil(specified on work order for sale prep),

2nd report from my own Castrol oil change looked almost similar to the selling Dealer.

This 3rd report shows alot of dilution and burnt 3/4 quart (I had to add 3/4 quart.) Even though I asked for Mazda brand oil, the receipt only said 0W-20 on it so technically they're not lying.

Will post as soon as scanned.
So, depends on dealer as to what oil you get.

My 4th oil change I put Castrol back in so we'll see if fuel dilution goes back down to 0. Hopefully.

Hoping they didn't gum up my engine with cheap oil. It's frustrating that it wasn't burning oil until they touched it.

Most of my driving is highway, few short trips and no idling as the oil sample was taken before winter.

Either they used cheap oil , the fuel injectors are bad or the engines going already. My Toyotas and Ford's never needed extra oil until they were well into 10,11,12 plus years of age and over 150,000 miles...
So adding 3/4 quart for a newer engine is slightly off.

Last edited:
is it possible they overfilled? our engines ususlly will burn the extra oil if above the top mark.

is it possible they overfilled? our engines ususlly will burn the extra oil if above the top mark.
I dunno:

My reports are:
Selling dealer - mazda OW-20.
Only low fuel dilution at 7000 miles. Great TBN of 4.7

DIY - Castrol 0W-20
Only trace fuel dilution at 5100 miles. No TBN test. Only 1/8th quart add.

Dealer - noname 0W-20
High fuel dilution of 1.5 @ 7400 miles.
Low TBN of 2.9.
Fuel dilution would have been higher and tbn lower if tested without the added 3/4 quart.
Added 3/4 quart.

If you look at the difference between the 2 different dealer changes, the result difference are drastic.

In 5 months, i'll test my latest Castrol oil change and see. If the results are good, then ill assume they just used cheap oil. If the next results are bad then ill have to proactively get the engine checked.

dont go to the dealer or ask them to put mazda moly. Costs more though. Or best is DIY
post the analysis when you can. It would be interesting.

dont go to the dealer or ask them to put mazda moly. Costs more though. Or best is DIY
post the analysis when you can. It would be interesting.
Usually DIY but took it in for a few repairs before B2B expired and offered to do the oil change at minimal cost. Yep it was minimal all right.

Latest UOA is back on the diesel. Right at 3 years in now with 67500 miles. All is well and cool runnin' 😁

View attachment 317249
Any particular reason you switched the oil from Mazda genuine SkyActiv-D SAE 0W-30 diesel engine oil to Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 motor oil? Any differences on oil consumption and fuel economy between the two?

Any particular reason you switched the oil from Mazda genuine SkyActiv-D SAE 0W-30 diesel engine oil to Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 motor oil? Any differences on oil consumption and fuel economy between the two?
No difference for consumption (none on either) or fuel economy.

Mazda included maintenance for the first 30k miles with the vehicle purchase. I bought a case (12 quarts) of the SkyActiv-D 0w30 diesel engine oil early on just to have on my shelf to insure availability when I needed an included service. There was twice during the first 30k miles that my Mazda dealer didn't have the oil and used mine (replacing my stock later).

Because I saw supply issues with the Mazda oil, I sought out an alternative to have and settled on the Mobil1 0w30 ESP and found it for a similar price to the Mazda oil and bought a case to have on my shelf. After comparing the UOA reports of the Mobil1 and Mazda oil, I'm sticking with the Mobil1. I think it's a better oil, holds viscosity better and the additive package seems to be more robust (evidenced by the higher TBN number).

As a bonus, the Mobil1 0w30 ESP is now available in 5qt jugs for convenience and cost savings (about $35). 👍

No difference for consumption (none on either) or fuel economy.

Mazda included maintenance for the first 30k miles with the vehicle purchase. I bought a case (12 quarts) of the SkyActiv-D 0w30 diesel engine oil early on just to have on my shelf to insure availability when I needed an included service. There was twice during the first 30k miles that my Mazda dealer didn't have the oil and used mine (replacing my stock later).

Because I saw supply issues with the Mazda oil, I sought out an alternative to have and settled on the Mobil1 0w30 ESP and found it for a similar price to the Mazda oil and bought a case to have on my shelf. After comparing the UOA reports of the Mobil1 and Mazda oil, I'm sticking with the Mobil1. I think it's a better oil, holds viscosity better and the additive package seems to be more robust (evidenced by the higher TBN number).

As a bonus, the Mobil1 0w30 ESP is now available in 5qt jugs for convenience and cost savings (about $35). 👍
Can you tell if Mazda genuine SkyActiv-D SAE 0W-30 diesel engine oil is also made by Idemitsu like Mazda’s 0W-20 Moly oil?

Looking at the specs, Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 motor oil definitely is an excellent choice for your 2.2L diesel:

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 motor oil is especially recommended for the high-performance gasoline and diesel engines in the latest passenger cars, SUVs and light vans. ⋯ It can also help:

Reduce particulate buildup in diesel particulate filters
• Reduce poisoning of gasoline catalytic converters
• Reduce deposits and sludge buildup to enable long and clean engine life
• Reduce oil aging, allowing extended drain interval protection
• Generate less hydrocarbon pollution
• Aid fuel economy

Can you tell if Mazda genuine SkyActiv-D SAE 0W-30 diesel engine oil is also made by Idemitsu like Mazda’s 0W-20 Moly oil? ...
screenshot_20200803-160650-png.226115

Yep. Idemitsu Lubricants. (Just down the road a couple of hours in Jeffersonville IN).

Incidentally, I've been in the Idemitsu plant a few times. High quality facility. They run a tight ship there. I'd pick my ice cream cone up off the floor and eat it should it fall 😋. A stark contrast to Valvoline and SOPUS (Shell) plants I have visited.

screenshot_20200803-160650-png.226115

Yep. Idemitsu Lubricants. (Just down the road a couple of hours in Jeffersonville IN).

Incidentally, I've been in the Idemitsu plant a few times. High quality facility. They run a tight ship there. I'd pick my ice cream cone up off the floor and eat it should it fall 😋. A stark contrast to Valvoline and SOPUS (Shell) plants I have visited.
Haha! I asked the same question before, sorry ⋯ ;):whistle::unsure:😳🤪

I have settled on Mobil 1 5W-30 EP in my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. The oil is full synthetic and low on sulfated ash content which supposedly is beneficial for DI engines. I only go 5000 miles between changes however, regardless of Mobil 1's claims that the oil is good for 20,000 miles. I'll get a Blackstone analysis done on the next oil change and post it here.

I'm running the same oil. Curious to see this.

Back