Show me your CX-5 wheels

275/40R20"J10ET35

eff50fd3e9929c26e42e6f6cbabb5bc0.jpg

e315c35eaabe782151574bedc7c1bccf.jpg

dad1628614ca6734284a9b23825cee58.jpg

Last edited:
Continental contiprocontact 235/55 17, they are not exactly the same size as the original Yokos (225/65 17) but i got a great deal and i am getting better milleage, the yokos thread were down to 30% maybe 40%

Continental contiprocontact 235/55 17, they are not exactly the same size as the original Yokos (225/65 17) but i got a great deal and i am getting better milleage, the yokos thread were down to 30% maybe 40%

55/r17 is like OEM size for my Mazda 6, you should try and stick to the standard 65 or at least 60 sidewall next time because the vehicles Suspension is tuned around this size. Your speedo is going to be innacurate now.

275/40R20"J10ET35

eff50fd3e9929c26e42e6f6cbabb5bc0.jpg

e315c35eaabe782151574bedc7c1bccf.jpg

dad1628614ca6734284a9b23825cee58.jpg

In my opinion a bit more black would fit good and would lift the optic a lot. Maybe foiljob on the doors or the hood or both and of course the underride protectors must be blacked and the things around the fog lights as well. Otherwise I would always suggest to color the fenders in the color of the car, what is the usuall routine.
But in the end the owner must like it and I like the work in it!!!

Cheers 101

Here are a few of my RWC MHK80's
20/8.5 ET42 wrapped with Falken Azenis 255/45 R20

These are quick shots. I plan on a proper photoshoot in the next couple of weeks.

IMG_20170923_0238.jpg

IMG_20170923_0078.jpg

IMG_20170923_0242.jpg

IMG_20170923_0185.jpg

IMG_20170923_0191.jpg

IMG_20170923_0030.jpg

IMG_20170923_0273.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous! How does the ride compare with the OEM wheels/tires?

Thanks Pete. To be honest, the ride quality did take a bit of a hit. It no more "floats" over the roads, but at the same time, it doesn't also feel like an Sherman tank. I think it's quite acceptable.

SndChsr, do the new wheels/tires weigh more or less than the OEM setup? I'm looking at upgrading my wheels/tires in the Spring, as I don't really like the look of the OEM wheels. Moving up to a 20 inch is the obvious next step up, but I've also been thinking about going to a 22 inch, which would probably mean a 30 or 35-series tire. Would you venture to guess if the ride on a 22 inch setup would be way too harsh? I love the way the car rides now, but wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer setup, but I'm left wondering if a 22 inch setup would result in a simply awful ride.

SndChsr, do the new wheels/tires weigh more or less than the OEM setup? I'm looking at upgrading my wheels/tires in the Spring, as I don't really like the look of the OEM wheels. Moving up to a 20 inch is the obvious next step up, but I've also been thinking about going to a 22 inch, which would probably mean a 30 or 35-series tire. Would you venture to guess if the ride on a 22 inch setup would be way too harsh? I love the way the car rides now, but wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer setup, but I'm left wondering if a 22 inch setup would result in a simply awful ride.

Hi Pete,
I haven't weighed the OEM's (yet), but I promised some members that I will...probably later today. From what I understand, they are about the same weight as the OEM's. Some report the original, complete with tyres come in at around 60/61lbs. These RWC's weigh in at just under 60lbs...59.3 if memory serves me right. I did weigh the after market ones.
I will weigh the originals tonight and post the results.

Going to 22" rim and 30-35 tire would considerably degrade the ride quality IMO. Not that I speak from experience, but relating to a 45 size tire, and coming from a 55, it would be a safe bet to venture that ride quality would suffer quite a bit. I'm not even sure you could fit a 22" rim on that thing.

I honestly think you'd be better off with a 20" rim and a 55 sized tire if you want to fill the well gap and don't care much for speedometer accuracy.

Regards!

Hi SndChsr, great looking car, I have one looks just like it minus the wheels I'm currently trying to decide on. Do the wheels and tires look a lot wider than stock? I'm not necessarily looking for larger wheels but I just think the stock tires are way too narrow and don't look aggressive. I'm wondering how big of a tire will work without rubbing. Do your tires poke out any?

I'll bet you're getting "better mileage". The replacements are 1.3" smaller in diameter than the originals!

Hi SndChsr, great looking car, I have one looks just like it minus the wheels I'm currently trying to decide on. Do the wheels and tires look a lot wider than stock? I'm not necessarily looking for larger wheels but I just think the stock tires are way too narrow and don't look aggressive. I'm wondering how big of a tire will work without rubbing. Do your tires poke out any?

Hi LoinCLoth. The wheels look considerably larger than stock. Much like you, the thin width and whimpy stance bugged me. If you want to stick with OEM wheels, then increasing your width is limited. I think 235 is the max you can go. There is a great thread that lists all possible wheel/tyre sizes for our cars.

CX-5 Tire Fitments

As far as rubbing, I don't think you need to worry about that unless you go to a 275 tire. My wheels are pretty much flush with the fenders now. I am however debating 5mm spacers. We'll see!

Good luck with your decision!

Can't seem to find not only an answer but even the question of what are pros and cons of for example on the 2017 cx5 the stock tires are 225/55r19, downsizing tire for 275/40r19. 1in smaller diameter and almost 2in wider with an aftermarket rim to fit. Just wondering if you can go smaller and wider without rubbing and what else it may do to the vehicle besides speedometer and odometer error.

Can't seem to find not only an answer but even the question of what are pros and cons of for example on the 2017 cx5 the stock tires are 225/55r19, downsizing tire for 275/40r19. 1in smaller diameter and almost 2in wider with an aftermarket rim to fit. Just wondering if you can go smaller and wider without rubbing and what else it may do to the vehicle besides speedometer and odometer error.

I strongly suggest not altering your tire dimension to such a small size. Not only will it look stupid because of the Gap, but you are messing with all the factory specifications like the final drive ratio which was all designed around a 55/r19 tire size. Your only reasonable choice would be to get coilovers to fill the gap which would probably look sick. If you plan to keep the car stock, stick to 50 at the very lowest but preferably 55 sidewall And high performance Yokohama tires.

Smaller wheel means better acceleration but its not a good way to adjust wheel gap on a stock suspension. On a lowered car that comes into play but your better off putting a set of lowering springs if that's your goal. If you put a good tire on your grip can go up too. Speedo might read under slightly (like 2 mph).

You're not exactly downsizing, since you're staying with 19 inch wheels same as stock. I understand what you mean though since you are going to a smaller diameter tire.

Pros of going to 275/40/19:
- Better acceleration
- More tire options
- Possibly softer ride, but since you are losing 1 inch in diameter, probably not...

Cons:
- More expensive tires at that size
- Possibly more tire noise
- Increased chance to hydroplane
- Possible safety issue with the car's handling. Like say the ABS might get confused when you're running a tire with 1 inch less diameter.
- Aggressive looking vehicle without the engine performance to back up the looks (this I admit would be subjective)

On a lowered car that comes into play but your better off putting a set of lowering springs if that's your goal.

Agree on the lowering part, but lowering springs is not the correct way to do it at all unless you want to be replacing blown struts every 2 Years because it WILL happen. Lowering springs do not pair well to your factory struts which will result in a shitter ride/handling all while ruining struts. If you only have $500 to spend on suspension, you buy sway bars which alone is probably the greatest suspension mod for the money.

You're not exactly downsizing,

- Possibly softer ride, but since you are losing 1 inch in diameter, probably not...

You most certainly do impact overall tire/rim dimension in a bad way.

How do you expect a softer ride from less tire sidewall?

How do you expect a softer ride from less tire sidewall?
Going to a wider tire and keeping the sidewall height the same will result in softer suspension when cornering. It is something I read before from a MotoIQ article but I could not find it anymore. I may be wrong on this though.

Another disadvantage of going to a really wider tire that I forgot to mention is that you are messing with your scrub radius. Really wide tires that are beginning to poke out the fenders will result in more torque steer (not that the CX-5 produces that much torque) and increased tramlining tendency.

Back