Show me your CX-5 wheels

For everyone with 255/45r20 tires on there cars, the new wheels you got, what is the offset needed for no rub or being too close to the strut?

Going to a wider tire and keeping the sidewall height the same will result in softer suspension when cornering. It is something I read before from a MotoIQ article but I could not find it anymore. I may be wrong on this though.

Another disadvantage of going to a really wider tire that I forgot to mention is that you are messing with your scrub radius. Really wide tires that are beginning to poke out the fenders will result in more torque steer (not that the CX-5 produces that much torque) and increased tramlining tendency.

tire makers generally compensate and use a thinner sidewall for wider tire sizes, so while what you mentioned does hold true, its not really an issue for most tire makers.

Tires with a low profile sidewall have a particular tendency to tramline over grooves (Ive noticed at lower speeds) which makes more of a difference then with a wider tire.

For everyone with 255/45r20 tires on there cars, the new wheels you got, what is the offset needed for no rub or being too close to the strut?

Between 40-50

The offset on my wheel is 42, which is very close to the OEM 45. Even with the 255 size tyre on a 8.5 wide wheel and 42 offset, I still have plenty of room. I'll have a look later roughly how much.

The offset on my wheel is 42, which is very close to the OEM 45. Even with the 255 size tyre on a 8.5 wide wheel and 42 offset, I still have plenty of room. I'll have a look later roughly how much.

Is it close to rubbing? I wonder what the widest offset could be for those tires

Is it close to rubbing? I wonder what the widest offset could be for those tires

Offset doesn't really have anything to do with tire sizes. What tires you can put on a wheel is determined by the wheel width, it doesn't matter what the offset is.

Offset doesn't really have anything to do with tire sizes. What tires you can put on a wheel is determined by the wheel width, it doesn't matter what the offset is.

An aggressive offset could cause certain wide tires to rub.

An aggressive offset could cause certain wide tires to rub.

Yes, but it still doesn't determine tire size. I can have a wheel with an offset of +15 or +55, but if it is only 6 inches wide, you should NOT be mounting a wide tire on it.

Yes, but it still doesn't determine tire size. I can have a wheel with an offset of +15 or +55, but if it is only 6 inches wide, you should NOT be mounting a wide tire on it.

Definitely, I agree on that. Generally you want:

7 - 205
8 - 225
9 - 245
10 - 265

(Give or take 1 size)

This will allow the tire to fit on the rim better thus improving handling and reducing the balloon effect you get from fitting a wider tire on a thin rim.

I don't think I was implying that the offset determines tyre size. Like GJ was saying, in certain aggressive offsets, it may cause the tyres to rub. I think that's what the OP was asking. Tyre size will be determined purely by the width of the wheel itself. Mounting that wheel/tyre on the vehicle can then cause the tyres to rub and an offset may have something to do with it, in very extreme cases. THAT was my original intent of mentioning the offset :)

Hi SndChsr have you checked your gapping on your tires from lock to lock? And what year cx5 do you have? I think the offset on mine is 50

Hi SndChsr have you checked your gapping on your tires from lock to lock? And what year cx5 do you have? I think the offset on mine is 50
I did not check that. Not quite sure what you mean from lock to lock. Mine is a 2017 GT w/Tech. I believe the offset on 2016.5 and earlier was 50, then 45 on stock 2017.

attachment.php

Put on some 2017 CX-9 take offs. 20x8.5. Now I don't know whether to add a coil over drop or not...

The xtra width makes them close to flush

attachment.php

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone attempted to put 2017 cx-5 wheels on a 2016, wonder what that would look like

Owning an early Touring model, it occurred to me that the 2017 Touring 17s would be a nice upgrade over the earlier model 17s. I'm not a fan of the new 19s. Mazda continues to struggle with finding the right wheels for their offerings. Maybe they will learn something in that regard from their association with Toyota.

Put on some 2017 CX-9 take offs. 20x8.5. Now I don't know whether to add a coil over drop or not...
That's a great looking wheel on your car, but my guess (from the way the tire/wheel fills up the wheel well) is that you're using the tires from the CX-9 as well which means they're 1.3" larger diameter than what the car came with. If that's the case, what's it doing to your gearing, speedo/odo readings, etc. It doesn't look like it needs lowering, but that may be the least important issue here.

Owning an early Touring model, it occurred to me that the 2017 Touring 17s would be a nice upgrade over the earlier model 17s. I'm not a fan of the new 19s. Mazda continues to struggle with finding the right wheels for their offerings. Maybe they will learn something in that regard from their association with Toyota.

what do you mean? mazda actually chooses nice looking rims that suit their cars really well, even for their small 17" rims.

attachment.php

The xtra width makes them close to flush

attachment.php

loving the liquid silver paint.

you need to lower the car though ;)

Back