Should I chip my CX-9 2.5T?

CX9 5.jpeg

Here's my CX9, it's cool eh? I think it's a MY 2018, it has the extra sound deadening etc. It is AWD and was the top spec at the time.
It has: 21 inch wheels
All chrome blacked out
Tinted front windows
A bit more cushion in the drivers knee pad

It's about to get fitted this week:
Corksport SRI
Corksport Boost Tube.

It always runs on premium fuel.

Just wondering what to do next, a chip tune is going to cost around $1000, which will increase the torque to around 490 nm (360 lb ft) but only give another 15 hp or so at the top end. This would probably be ok for our driving style. I do worry a little about the transmission though - I note that the most powerful Mazda with this transmission only has 450 nm (330 lb ft)
I also worry that the head will crack and Mazda won't cover it with the mods - or is that not something I need to worry about with this model year?

Just wondering if anyone has chipped their CX9 and how it went.

I am tossing up between getting a Corksport Intercooler and axle back exhaust instead of the chip, but that will be a bit more costly and possibly not do much.

Cheers!

Just wondering what to do next, a chip tune is going to cost around $1000, which will increase the torque to around 490 nm (360 lb ft) but only give another 15 hp or so at the top end. This would probably be ok for our driving style. I do worry a little about the transmission though - I note that the most powerful Mazda with this transmission only has 450 nm (330 lb ft)
I also worry that the head will crack and Mazda won't cover it with the mods - or is that not something I need to worry about with this model year?

Just wondering if anyone has chipped their CX9 and how it went.

I am tossing up between getting a Corksport Intercooler and

Personally, I would not tune it unless you can be without it waiting on parts should the head crack. The "my head cracked" thread is full of people waiting quite a while for repairs. Your model year is right in the middle of the batch of cars that have been having this issue.

On the other hand, Mazda may very well not cover you if the head cracks even with a bone stock car. Mazda stepping in to help is very hit or miss. You could go out with a bang, I guess...

Back