Should I change manual transmission fluid?

Hsnberg

:
1995 Mazda Protege DX
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum. Just bought a 1995 Protege DX as a second car a few days ago, 155k miles. I am in the processing of giving it some love and bringing it up to speed. Other than needing new brakes pads and shoes, it seems to be pretty good!

I wanted to change the manual transmission fluid as a way to help keep this tranny alive as long as possible. I have gone through the maintenence records. It doesn't seem to have ever been done. Except for sticking once in a while when trying to go to reverse, it shifts fine.

Now I have been reading a lot of warnings against changing tranny fluid in high mileage cars, both in this forum and many others. However, these warnings are mostly for changing fluid in auto trans. But I read somewhere that the risk in changing the fluid in manual transmissions is a lot lower. Apparently, failures after fluid changes in auto trans are because of the clutch being enclosed within the transmission, creating lots of heat and opportunies for chunks of whatever to clog things up. But manual transmissions are supposed to be safer.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

It's really sad that no one ever changed the fluid, but definitely, you should do it, ASAP. Some manufacturers require that their car's manual tranny fluid be changed every 30,000 miles.

Back