Servicing for Mazda

Hi, I got a 2021 Mazda CX5 in January and the manual said the first servicing is due at 6.5K miles. Its been 6 months and I clocked only 2200 miles. Do I need to get anything checked or wait until I hit 6K miles ?

Wait till you get closer to 5,000 miles or coming up on 12 months.
The service is based on somebody putting 12,000 miles per year on their vehicle.

When you take it in for servicing all you need is an oil change and tire rotation.
Service should do an inspection just to make sure everything is good.

I also go by 5k or 1yr whichever comes first.
Look around for coupon before you go in.

Usually selling dealer offers free 1st oil change.
Ask your salesperson.

I always negotiate free oil changes, air intake filter, all weather mats, etc when they won’t come down on the price of the car.

Change it now. You want to get all the break in metal bits out of the engine and have clean new fully synthetic oil asap since you are the 1st owner and doing oil changes religiously every 5k miles or sooner after that will keep your investment reliable.

Change it now. You want to get all the break in metal bits out of the engine and have clean new fully synthetic oil asap since you are the 1st owner and doing oil changes religiously every 5k miles or sooner after that will keep your investment reliable.
Way too early to change. This is not the 1970's, I doubt he would find any metal bits in the oil and if he did he'd need a electron microscope to see them.

Way too early to change. This is not the 1970's, I doubt he would find any metal bits in the oil and if he did he'd need a electron microscope to see them.
I strongly disagree, but you do you. The object here is engine longevity and reliability. Very stupid to skimp on oil changes that cost barely anything. Oil is cheap, engines are not and unless you are leasing aka renting or plan on trading or selling every few years you are doing yourself a huge injustice. Treat things well and it will treat you well in return.

I strongly disagree, but you do you. The object here is engine longevity and reliability. Very stupid to skimp on oil changes that cost barely anything. Oil is cheap, engines are not and unless you are leasing aka renting or plan on trading or selling every few years you are doing yourself a huge injustice. Treat things well and it will treat you well in return.
Nobody's skimping, just saying 2200 is too soon especially since the engine has factory moly oil.
Trust the science.

Personal preference either way. Machining and tooling has gotten better over the years, and tolerances are better, so it is less likely that there will be any significant amount of debris in the oil during the initial break-in period. However, machines aren't perfect, and there will indeed be some wear particles in the oil. The cost of an early oil change is so minimal that for many (including myself), it is worth the peace of mind to change the oil a bit early.

With that said, @jagkon, if you want to keep your factory warranty intact, you're going to want to follow exactly what the owner's manual says for maintenance. If you're in the US or PR, your interval defaults to the flexible schedule, which is 7.5k miles or 12 months. If you're in Canada, the default is 5k miles (8k kms) or 6 months, whichever comes first. There is nothing wrong with performing a service early. You'll find that anything that needs to be serviced at specific intervals in order to keep the factory warranty intact is listed in the scheduled maintenance section of the manual. The dealer will often recommend certain services early - this is just to squeeze extra money out of you, most of the time. Follow the manual, and ask questions here if you have any. Chances are good that any questions you have will already have been answered by others here.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but here's UOA from brand new to 40k miles to illustrate the "wear metals" present in oil (parts per million) for mine.

Not much difference first oil change to second.

2019 C5D 40k service.jpg

The manual includes a time and mileage number. Check the manual and maintain it according to time, in your case. I maintain on miles because I'm driving 18k/year.

For me, I always change the oil the first time at 1000 miles, then again at 5000 miles and then per the manual. That and a "break-in" driving style I use results in an engine that runs well and doesn't burn oil. I spend a little more money, but I like the results.

Your oil analysis shows elevated Iron, copper and aluminum at your first oil change, 2x to 12x the 40k readings. Those are wear products from the engine.

Your oil analysis shows elevated Iron, copper and aluminum at your first oil change, 2x to 12x the 40k readings. Those are wear products from the engine.
Yes, that is correct. So, added all together (the metals) were 151 parts per MILLION (first oil change) versus 76 parts per MILLION on the fourth (30k mi service). Yes, the number is 2x the parts per MILLION. So instead of one spec of metal there are two specs of metal. Or to put it another way, if you think of a fully loaded 747 full of crew, 400 passengers, 700 carry on's, 300 checked bags, cargo and 50,000 gallons of fuel weighing a total of one million pounds. The difference is one checked bag versus two checked bags out of the whole plane. Not much difference as far as being worried to get that "break in oil" out of the engine early. (IMHO)

For me, I always change the oil the first time at 1000 miles, then again at 5000 miles and then per the manual. That and a "break-in" driving style I use results in an engine that runs well and doesn't burn oil. I spend a little more money, but I like the results.
I'm old school as well on the first oil changes. I've been doing that since I got my first new car over 50 years ago. I can honestly say I've never had an engine failure or an engine that burned oil in all that time. Some had minor leaks, but they didn't start leaking until well into their old age (sort of like me....lol) Anyway, regardles of the latest tech, I still do the first few changes early on, which, if nothing else, gives me peace of mind...at a very low cost. Ultimately, it's a personal choice I guess.

I did an oil change early on my ‘19 gas RAV4. I did it at 2500 miles and did the next change at 10000 miles. I did a used oil analysis at 10000 miles and the results were somewhat surprising. Wear metals were still elevated some so the engine wasn’t done breaking in yet at 2500 miles. My next oil change at 20000 miles showed normal wear metal levels (prescribed OCI on that generation is 10k miles btw). Not a SkyActiv engine, but interesting nonetheless. When I traded it in for my ‘21 RAV4 Hybrid, I used that data to decide to do my first oil change at 5000 miles as 2500 miles may not be through break in yet.

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this hunt but here's UOA from brand new to 40k miles to illustrate the "wear metals" present in oil (parts per million) for mine.

Not much difference first oil change to second.

View attachment 310847
Here is mine as well from the ‘19 RAV4, just a smaller snapshot (2500 to 10000 miles, and 10000 to 20000 miles). No UOA for what the factory fill was.

Did the earlier than prescribed oil change save me wear and tear? I honestly doubt it. It was fun to do anyway. Just stick to the service schedule and you’ll be fine.

Attachments

• D06CD84C-5EB7-496D-B063-D85534401047.jpeg
    D06CD84C-5EB7-496D-B063-D85534401047.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 58
Back