Rodents eating wiring in cars. Does Mazda have this problem?

Caught three more mice in my barbeque this week. I set a trap every night on the side tray, under the BBQ cover, and in the morning, another dead mouse.
Thing is, I don't live in the country. I'm in a typical suburb, ten minutes away from Wal-Mart and Costco.
It's a non de-script 2 story house, on a normal suburban lot, quiet street, and yet these F..ing mice are everywhere.
They reproduce faster than I can kill them.
All I can do is keep setting traps I guess. Aarrgggh.

Caught three more mice in my barbeque this week. I set a trap every night on the side tray, under the BBQ cover, and in the morning, another dead mouse.
Thing is, I don't live in the country. I'm in a typical suburb, ten minutes away from Wal-Mart and Costco.
It's a non de-script 2 story house, on a normal suburban lot, quiet street, and yet these F..ing mice are everywhere.
They reproduce faster than I can kill them.
All I can do is keep setting traps I guess. Aarrgggh.

Be glad they're not rats!

Birds of prey. Owls, falcons, hawks, etc.

Let me introduce you to my little friend..... :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

There are a few living in the woods behind my house. I used to have a lot of trouble with squirrels, but between the owls, pellet rifle and a big yellow tabby I have not seen in any in a couple of years. I live in a suburban area as well. I picked up this baby owl and put it in a basket. The adult owls brought it food and as far as we know is doing well. We hear them hooting most days.

The ultrasonic stuff does not work. check out this guys channel he is the expert on rat and mice traps. get the walk the plank trap, Viewer discretion adviced if you dont like seeing dead mice https://youtu.be/nsoVcrFyrF8

One key item is not to store or leave food in car/garage, including bird seed, cat or dog food etc. It brings them into the garage and they are closer to the wires and get attracted to them...

Just bought a 2015 CX9 GT and am concerned about the yummy wire situation, too. I cannot find much info about Mazdas and soy wires. Lots of complaint about Toyota, Honda, Kia and engines destroyed by rodents who work very fast. I've heard they hate Peppermint oil, too so I think I'll give that a go. Wouldn't hurt to periodically give the wires a spray. More things that rats hate: "Make your engine and its entrances smell bad, at least to rats. Motorists have had success with peppermint oil, powdered fox urine, used cat litter, cat hair, dog hair, Pine-Sol, Irish Spring soap, red pepper, and laundry dryer sheets. The people who make "Rataway" tell you to spray it on all the wires in the engine." From the site: https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Mice-in-Your-Motor

powdered fox urine
I didn't know that was a thing.

Let me get this right. If left stranded on a deserted island and there was a CX-5 around.......I can eat its wiring to stay alive a few more days?

Mazda: Feel Alive

Im not sure if the soy insulation is the culprit because I had a 2006 Ford F-350 with the Turbo-Diesel and while it was waiting for a fender to come in, was parked at the body shop lot. When I drove away it ran terribly and then died. I had it towed to my mechanic and $1600 later I had the wiring replaced that pack rats had eaten through.

Pack rats routinely build their nests in the engine compartments and eat anything they find. Old problem, maybe with a new spin?

Let me get this right. If left stranded on a deserted island and there was a CX-5 around.......I can eat its wiring to stay alive a few more days?

Mazda: Feel Alive
I must say...we made some eggnog and rum tonight and I am enjoying this post more than I probably should.

But hey... I love the "feel alive" jokes.

Spray some peppermint oil in the area, it'll smell better and it'll keep the rodents away.

Had a 13" packrat in my 2017 Duramax chewing on the hood liner for 2 months. I tried everything from peppermint, poison, glue traps, dryer sheets, bucket traps near the truck and nothing worked. I finally bought a electric trap and zapped the sucker the second night. I s lucky it only got one sure on the top of the engine that was easy to fix.

If you have a packrat they are elusive and smart. Get a electric trap and be done with it. Oh, the thrill of victory!

And this is not Mazda or any other manufacturers problem.

Mice, rats, chipmunks, squirrels- all smaller rodents have been chewing on wires long before soy was involved.
It's a fact the ultra sonic is a no/go.
My favorite trap is the Ketch-all which flat out works! Just check out Amazon/ebay for the lowest price. Another good trap is the Victor electronic mouse or rat with a 9v battery. The planks work but in my shop the plank gets knocked around and then you have to redo the set-up. Some like the plank into a water bucket too. In confined areas not open to pets I use rodent poison blocks/chunks. I don't like the smaller pellets that look like green dog food as the rodents stockpile them instead of chewing where they lay as with the bigger chunks.
My worst case of chewed wires they ate through the loom directly at the point where it entered the firewall and was a nightmare to repair. On my 2015 Ford F-150 they ate the wire to the carbon cannister setting off the check engine light on a brand new truck-cost me a dealer puter hook up to learn it was a mouse problem.
Various predators urine are sold by animal trapper suppliers- as in trap line stuff.

I've found dryer sheets stuffed anywhere you can stuff them do a better job than moth balls at keeping those little bastards out of my car.

Confirmed! Holy Crap $1500 and Mazda saying its not their fault. Hell no. I'm going after them!

Attachments

• 102318 1.jpg
    102318 1.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 102318 2.jpg
    102318 2.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 102318 3.jpg
    102318 3.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 102318 4.jpg
    102318 4.jpg