Rishie's FITMENT RECIPE

Mazda Protege 5 16" Rims

I just purchased a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 which has 1-16" Mazda stock wheel, and 3-17" non-mazda wheels on it. Great looking car, but I do not intend to put speed rated tires on it, nor do I intend for it to go "fast" since I have 2- teenagers that will be using it about half the time.

My question is do I purchase 3 more 16" stock rims and get a new set of tires,,non speed rated that wear well or do I try and find another 17" rim and purchase new non speed rated tires for the 17's? I am not sure of the mfg. of the 17" rims.

I had read a few posts around the lack of selection of 16" tires, that wear well, and werent too pricey.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• Rachels Camera dump Oct. 2009 806.jpg
    Rachels Camera dump Oct. 2009 806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 365
Mazda Protege (323) 1999. with EDM Eibach Pro-Kit 1.2 inch drop.

Tomason TN1 8x17 ET35

Will it fit?

Last edited:
Can somebody tell me what size spacer I need to have the MZ3 wheel sit flush on my P5? The size is 17x6.5 with an offset of +52.5mm.

Also, I'm on MSP springs right now but I'll be going with Eibach Sportlines after the holidays.

Last edited:
so today i was able to fit 205/50/16's on the stock wheels with a 2in drop. they just made it, but there is no scraping so far. i'll get a pic of the clearance tomorrow. just thought i'd share my findings.

Last edited:
i was wrong about the size. they 205/55/16. and no pics today. school and work were crazy and then it started to rain when i got home.

Last edited:
Any particular reason you decided on 55 series tires? Seems pretty large, most people "upgrade" theirs to 45 series for handling improvement.

Any particular reason you decided on 55 series tires? Seems pretty large, most people "upgrade" theirs to 45 series for handling improvement.

because i got them for free. i work at a VW dealership and they came off a trade in car we got. i still dont understand why they were changed, they are good tires. they are continental pro contacts, they are the runflat version of the tire. i also got a set of 225/45/17's that i tried, but they were a no go, they rubbed like crazy in the back. if the car wasn't lowered they would have fit though.

Just bought these for my Black P5;
17x8+35 Rota G Force Flat black. Falken FK452 215/35/17's
bad cellphone picture.

12260918021.jpg

1226091803a1.jpg
downsized_12260918031.jpg

Last edited:
Question

17x7 +40 on 215/40/17 lowered with tien s-techs/illuminas struts for an MSP

can I make this work with a rolled fender?

Shouldn't need to roll it,unless those springs are more than a 1.5" drop, I've got 17x7+42 205/40/17's on Eibach Pro Kit's and Tokico Blues and there's plenty of room.Your setup would be 3mm more on the inside and 7mm more on the outside.

Question

17x7 +40 on 215/40/17 lowered with tien s-techs/illuminas struts for an MSP

can I make this work with a rolled fender?

Advice; if you have 2 teens that will drive the car, especially if one's a boy, they will go fast whether there's high speed rated tires or not, believe me. All tires are speed rated, the different letters H,V,Z etc. designate what maximum speed they are design for. So, you should buy a tire in my opinion with at least an "H" rating which is up to 130 mph. If you can find out what the make of the 17" that are on it I would buy another one, if not keep your eye on the for sale section of this forum for a used set of 16" Protege 5 wheels,which are pretty good looking. Here's the link
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

I just purchased a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 which has 1-16" Mazda stock wheel, and 3-17" non-mazda wheels on it. Great looking car, but I do not intend to put speed rated tires on it, nor do I intend for it to go "fast" since I have 2- teenagers that will be using it about half the time.

My question is do I purchase 3 more 16" stock rims and get a new set of tires,,non speed rated that wear well or do I try and find another 17" rim and purchase new non speed rated tires for the 17's? I am not sure of the mfg. of the 17" rims.

I had read a few posts around the lack of selection of 16" tires, that wear well, and werent too pricey.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Shouldn't need to roll it,unless those springs are more than a 1.5" drop, I've got 17x7+42 205/40/17's on Eibach Pro Kit's and Tokico Blues and there's plenty of room.Your setup would be 3mm more on the inside and 7mm more on the outside.

the s-tech are 2.0" front / 1.7" rear so I might need to get on the rolling wagon...

Last edited:
the s-tech are 2.0" front / 1.7" rear so I might need to get on the rolling wagon...

I thougth s-techs were 2/1.4... either way I have them on my MSP even with the stock wheels and tire size I rub on full clock to the right pretty bad for some reason. So with a lower offset and a narror tire he should clear that issue... I dont know about any outside rubbing.

17x7 with +45 offset, 215/45/17 tire. Will it fit?

Also, what is the Protege hub bore/size?

Back