Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

To me Beverly looses credibility when she says 2013 and 2014 have the same software. I guess they could have changed the blue tooth hardware and not changed the software in 2014 but I give it low odds...
Well, the 2013 CX-9 has the issue so she may have been referring to that.

If it were software, a patch would have been created, tested, and deployed by now. This thread is over a year old. Even small start-up companies with just a few developers can deliver software patches in under 3 months.
That's a backwards assumption. The truth is that the larger the company, the LONGER software patches take. (I speak from direct experience.)

A small startup has very few layers of BS to deal with before the bug is reported, acknowledged, accepted, sent to development, resolved, tested, and posted.

A large company has MANY layers. In the case of the mazda radio, the number of layers is multiplied even more by the fact that Mazda contracts out the work. It might take Mazda 2 years just to decide which module and contractor is responsible for the issue! The irony is that it's often the case that the bug is fixed by the actual developer, but can still take years for the fix to make its way to Mazda and then to the customer.

The only way for us to make things move faster is to be The Squeaky Wheel. The more noise we make about the issue, the more attention it'll get.

That's a backwards assumption.
I suppose you are right. I was referring more about manpower available. A large company shouldn't take long to come up with a solution. How long it takes for them to act on it is a different story. If this is in fact a software glitch I could probably learn the entire software package from scratch myself and come up with a working solution in less time. It could take a few months since I know nothing about the architecture...but that's a lot less than the 18 months my CX-9 has been on the road.

000bdf2f3baeb7060c1f100f85894c15f46883b0d350d87468e961710f05564b.jpg

The other thing you have to consider is the fact that everyone that even knows or cares about this issue is on this forum. All 20 of us. I personally know two people that own Mazda's that have this issue and when I asked them about it neither of them had any knowledge of it. They said they've never used the USB port. One of them did complain about the Bluetooth though.

It seems like mazda canada even stopped responding to the emails on usb issue. Haven't got any response to my last two emails to them.

I sent them an email earlier this week from the website because i hadn't done so yet. I would think people that listen to books on tape would be up in arms...but then again, the Bluetooth connectivity usually auto resumes correctly. I've been using that lately but since I have both a phone and an iPod the head unit always tries to play from my phone and I have to manually switch it every time.

The other thing you have to consider is the fact that everyone that even knows or cares about this issue is on this forum. All 20 of us. I personally know two people that own Mazda's that have this issue and when I asked them about it neither of them had any knowledge of it. They said they've never used the USB port. One of them did complain about the Bluetooth though.

This has been my experience, there are 2 new CX-5's in my neighborhood. While walking the dog I stopped to admire the car and chat with the owners. Both had no knowledge regarding the USB and both could care a less. My guess is the majority of owners are not pestering Mazda or their dealers on this so from the manufacturers point of view it's not affecting the masses enough to warrant any serious attention. I could be wrong but just sharing my experience.

Attachments

• 00000000.mp3
    91.2 KB · Views: 386
  • 00000001.mp3
    238.9 KB · Views: 329
(band2) Found this on another forum... https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=95520d3a38c5206a&id=95520D3A38C5206A!3085
nice sound clip for the first song of your USB....LOL

Lol. That's funny.

I visited my dealer with the bluetooth tsb or whatever it's called because he had to physically check the serial number and proceed from there. I will be getting it swapped out on my first oil change in 2 weeks from now. I hope that really fixes the other problems too.

edit (7/21/2014): Replaced the bluetooth module, but music from USB drive always starts at track 1. I didn't experience any bluetooth freezing problem after the replacement, so maybe it was worth it.

Last edited:
hp79, are they replacing your bluetooth module because it failed or because there is TSB for your VIN? What is your CX-5 manufacturing date if don't mind sharing?

I have an appt tomorrow with the dealership for them to investigate the problem. He told me to call Mazda bluetooth support beforehand to document the problem so they can do any updates or changes when I bring the car in. My fingers are crossed they will do something but I think everyone should at least call and enter a formal complaint. The guy I spoke to knew about the issues and did a lot of typing without admitting anything. I am hoping since there is a rumor of a fix I will be on the list. Call 800-430-0153. It took a long time on hold but at least I have an open case now.

Update - So I explained in detail what I am unhappy about and the service tech said they would check it out. 1 1/4 hours later he tells me "the system is working as designed" but I do need the bluetooth module replaced since they could tell it is not keeping the phone connected and I have to wait for the phone book to download each time I get in the car before I can do anything, I also get a Pandora error often. I have to wait for the part and go back next week. The service tech acted like he didn't know the stereo is a big issue and said he can only do what Mazda tells him and if they say its working the way they designed it then I am stuck for now. He also said my verizon Samsung Galaxy s4 with kitkat 4.4.2 is not compatible with the text messaging feature and Mazda needs to update their website, I hate being teased I have a message only to be told the download failed after a few minutes. I told him others have the exact same phone and it works for them. I am certainly hoping for an update in July as rumors have suggested. Has anyone heard anything new?

Last edited:
No fix yet for the USB resume play??
Oh well, perhaps next year.
Way to zoom zoom, Mazda!!

Bon

He also said my verizon Samsung Galaxy s4 with kitkat 4.4.2 is not compatible with the text messaging feature and Mazda needs to update their website, I hate being teased I have a message only to be told the download failed after a few minutes.

I find this strange since my razor never worked until recently when it was updated to KITKAT, 4.4.2 now I get text messages just fine

He also said my verizon Samsung Galaxy s4 with kitkat 4.4.2 is not compatible with the text messaging feature and Mazda needs to update their website, I hate being teased I have a message only to be told the download failed after a few minutes.

I find this strange since my razor never worked until recently when it was updated to KITKAT, 4.4.2 now I get text messages just fine

Well that's definitely a bunch of crap. When I purchased my CX-5 I had a Galaxy S4 with 4.3 Jellybean and I couldn't get the text message feature to work from day 1, I just kept getting the download failed message. I recently had my phone completely flashed and updated to 4.4.2 and low and behold the text message feature started working all of a sudden!

Well that's definitely a bunch of crap. When I purchased my CX-5 I had a Galaxy S4 with 4.3 Jellybean and I couldn't get the text message feature to work from day 1, I just kept getting the download failed message. I recently had my phone completely flashed and updated to 4.4.2 and low and behold the text message feature started working all of a sudden!

How can I re-install or flash the 4.4.2 update? I would like this feature to work and its very frustrating to see people with the same phone and car having it work but told mine is incompatible when I know its not! Edit- I updated the software again and still don't have text messaging. I don't think its my phone. I tried a Droid 3 and that does not work either.

Last edited:
Back