Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

I am scheduled to get a replacement bluetooth module on Wednesday on my 2015 GT. Can anyone that has had it replaced recently comment if it fixed the slowness and resume issue? I don't want to get my hopes up too much that they fixed the issue.

Of course the problem we are experiencing can be solved with an aftermarket head unit. I personally have not reached that level of frustration yet, but a new head unit is always in the back of my mind.

I've come to the conclusion it's best to simply rip out the entire sound system and go aftermarket. I have a 4 x 120 watt ESX amp (brand new 10 years ago...still in the box...never used)....plus a pair of MB Quart RSB280 5.5 inch component speakers (same as the amp...brand new 10 years back...never used...still in the box). All I have to do is buy a top end deck and a sub and it will sound ten times better than this Bose system.

Waiting for Mazda to actually do something about this USB resume is becoming laughable. Rip the damn thing out and do it right.

Bon

I am scheduled to get a replacement bluetooth module on Wednesday on my 2015 GT. Can anyone that has had it replaced recently comment if it fixed the slowness and resume issue? I don't want to get my hopes up too much that they fixed the issue.

No, it won't affect resume or slowness at all. I had mine brought it for the update and I was hoping it would fix everything....turns out mine was already up to date with the bluetooth (mfg'd Dec '13).....and the update wasn't even applicable. There is no fix currently out there for this issue that I know of (and many dealerships I've inquired to about this aren't even aware of the issue....which I often laugh at when I get that response). Whenever I call Mazda Canada about it (Mazda USA won't speak to me anymore because I'm in Canada...as soon as I give them my VIN#, they tell me to call MCanada and won't even address the issue anymore for me). Mazda Canada assures me they are aware of the issue and are waiting on a fix...blah blah blah. From what I understand it, this has been the case for over a year now.

Bon

Apple just announced a bunch of new CarPlay partners, which included Mazda. The current owners may get the shaft but thing most likely will get better.

Apple just announced a bunch of new CarPlay partners, which included Mazda. The current owners may get the shaft but thing most likely will get better.

Hopefully within a year or two it will be standard practice to make all cars CarPlay, Android Auto, and whatever MS is doing compatible. Or something will come of the Open Automotive Alliance. No one wants to switch platforms or pass on a car because of some proprietary nonsense.

And why should car manufactures waste another minute figuring out mobile software when the mobile companies have already invested billions to make that work? Sure, hook in your car specific functionality-- security, lights, etc. But for God's sake let Apple and Google take over your screen so we can have seamless experiences across our devices, with the UI we're already familiar with.

I would wish for some software based backwards compatibility, so that our current CX-5s could take advantage of this when it rolls out, but my guess is that Mazda's telematics are woefully underpowered compared to any smart phone on the market today.

OTOH, my impression is that both Google and Apple are just using the screen via bluetooth, and that processing is all happening on the phone, so maybe there's hope yet. Of course, this being Mazda, no matter what app you left off with it will always start up with "AAA".

Last edited:
My 15' doesn't keep it's place for memory stick playlist either. It always goes back to the first song. Could that be how things were loaded onto it? Or just a continuation of the op's issue.

Mazda is committed to constantly improving our products and services and based on our customer feedback, a software update will be made available in the Fall that enhances the compatibility of your Mazda's infotainment system and your media device.
I notice they don't specifically say it will correct the issue at hand. I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, I've found that if you can remember to hit pause before shutting off the ignition, it remembers the track and position.
Is this really true? Using USB? Can someone else confirm? That is pretty big if true...

Latest response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Mazda.

We apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered with the USB flash drive playback function in your 2014 Mazda CX-5. As was previously discussed, with a media device connected to the USB port, your music playlist will start from the beginning each time the vehicle is started. This is considered a normal function of the vehicle infotainment system in reading your digital playback device.

This is almost exactly the line I got (except for the bold text) when I took our new CX-5 in for the first oil change and complained about the car forgetting where is was and always starting at the first song. Has this problem really existed since Feb. 2013 and they haven't fixed it yet?

I notice they don't specifically say it will correct the issue at hand. I'm not holding my breath.

Is this really true? Using USB? Can someone else confirm? That is pretty big if true...

Not true at all. I tested it. I suspect the other guy didn't leave his car off for more than 10 seconds between testing. It retains the song position for up to that long approximately, but otherwise we are all still screwed by Mazda.

Not true at all. I tested it. I suspect the other guy didn't leave his car off for more than 10 seconds between testing. It retains the song position for up to that long approximately, but otherwise we are all still screwed by Mazda.

My experience, exactly. More surprising is that if I fire up the iPod, hit "shuffle," then "next track," it shuffles through my 365 songs in the same order, every time. WTF?

Well, I am now 9d into owning my CX-5, and have decided this iPod "connectivity" issue is truly absurd. I thought I could accept the "slight inconvenience" of having to wait a minute (or two) for the system to "read" the iPod (yet, again) when I turn on the car, and to then have to point a few times until I get to my playlist of choice. But, no. This is BS.

So, I just got off the phone with Mazda Customer Service. Wow.

I mentioned my audio system behavior to the rep, and he stated he is "aware of this" and that the Mazda engineers "designed" it this way, and he understands that a "software update is on the way," though he has no idea when or how its availability will be shared with the owners. It was important to him that I not call it an "issue," as that implied there was something wrong with the iPod integration.

He then recommended I take my CX-5 to a Mazda Service Center to have the technician "verify the behavior" so they can confirm my experience, "since we rely on the service centers" to substantiate customer complaints. I told him I thought this was absurd, since he just told me that the system was operating "as designed." He proceeded to, again, state that he can't predict when the upgrade will be released. I asked him when he first heard about the update, and he thinks it was "a few months ago."

Sigh. I still love the car.

MazdaCustomerExperience@mazdausa.com
1:14 PM (6 minutes ago)

to me
Service Request Number 1-10813575

Thank you for contacting Mazda.

Per our conversation, here is the reference number that documents your I-Pod integration feature complaint.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Morgan
Representative, Customer Experience
Select Prompt 6, then 2, Ext. 1143
[SR Number: 1-10813575]​

Haha, yeah, dealing with the reps is pretty Kafka-esque. If you've been following the GM recall debacle, the reps and people who wrote memos are highly trained on what language to use and not to use. The default is to not suggest anything is obviously wrong which could have legal repercussions - it's why some CS reps say "it's working as designed", which is technically true. It was faulty design though. Complaints do end up in a database and if there are enough of them, research into them goes on.

I have no doubt that Mazda is aware and desiring to fix the issue - other issues like hood shake and suspension creaks have been fixed much faster - but I don't think Mazda designed the head unit or wrote the software - a common auto industry practice. A few months ago someone posted it was done by a now-defunct unit of a third party supplier and that is bound to slow things down if they have to find a new supplier to figure out the problem and fix it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer some kind of head unit upgrade to an entirely different system. I don't know if it would be free, but maybe at a reduced cost.

Just got a new 2015 made in May and it does not resume like my old car did. I hope they fix this, I get in and out all day and it annoying.

OK, so I'm still really frustrated with the non resume issue and other Bluetooth problems. Having read all of the feedback from those who have admirably attempted to progress their issues in isolation by contacting Mazda support, I suggest we get a little more coordinated & heavy handed ?

My suggestion is this; there are various websites which folk do check when reviewing whether or not to buy a specific model of car (I know some folk don't) and while this website might be one, there are more widely used sources for reviews. My proposal is that we make a list of review websites (sites where we can log our reviews) and we band together all the folk from this forum who are emotional enough about this issue to then be prepared to log a review on the site which says something along the lines of "If I knew about the stereo issues before I bought, I wouldn't have gone with the CX-5". Then, BEFORE we pull the trigger on posting the reviews, we write to Mazda (in various regions) to advise them that we are about to give one of their most successful models a real slating on the most popular review sites.

To do this we would need;
1) Volunteers to be prepared to post reviews and
2) Proposed review sites to hit. For UK I propose Autotrader.

By doing this we could hope that Mazda would anticipate some real threat to sales and would therefore respond to our requests for a commitment (with firm dates) to fix.

Thoughts all ?

Profiler, I think it's a good idea, but I wouldn't bother telling Mazda you are about to do it. I would just do it. I think the key would be to somehow get it into Consumer Reports. Flawed as it is, that's the one that most people use.

In my experience the offer of a carrot with the sight of a stick works better than taking the stick out and using it first time around. It shows a genuine desire to improve the situation for both parties ;-)

I'd be happy to write some... . I'd even be able to document all my service visits, and calls to Mazda.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Most people are happy to just have a car that doesn't break down. This issue bugs me every time I get into the car but I'm much happier with it occasionally working than having to deal with MyFord/Sync in my wife's focus.

I think the best approach is to send them the petition that was started and let them know a large number of the people who signed it plan on writing scathing reviews on internet sites if something isn't done about this soon.

Am I disappointed? Absolutely.

However, I have settled into playing audio via BT from my Galaxy S4.

If I leave the Amazon Music player turned-on, the BT connects instantly and plays within a few seconds of starting the CX-5.

At this point, I think it is delusional to believe that Mazda is unaware of the problems with this head unit. Mazda has sold over 150k of these vehicles in the U.S. so far (and is manufacturing them at a rate of ~100/day); I have a hard time believing that a few dozen voices from this little corner of the internet will have an impact on either the behavior of this company or on the sales of the CX-5.

Back