Replacement Headrest Monitors with DVD Players for Mazda CX-9

Certainly a simple option. I would recommend heat shrinking the two sets of leads together where they enter the plug, and twist and solder them for maximum contact.

I like simple!

BTW....Im so glad that I found this forum to get help from some people that acutally know what they are talking about. Thanks again. Ill let you know how it turns out.

I am thinking of adding a set to my 2008, any recommendations? I have navigation. Will the navigation sound override the dvd player sound, like it does with music now??? I would prfer a set with built in speakers.... because they is only so much Disney I can take !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had my OnFair headrest DVD players in for about 2 months now. They are perfect, the kids love them, the sound is good both over the car speakers and the speakers on the unit themselves. Sound is even better through the wireless headphones they give you. I still can't believe these only cost $284 shipped!! The only thing I would recommend is if the interior color of your car is grey or tan, I would request a color sample to make sure it will match. Black was easy to match and much harder to detect the color difference. The headrests are wider and not as tall as the stock ones, but most headrest DVD players are like that.

I ended up changing the initial wiring and used a fuse tap to power up the units directly to the fuse box. Extremely easy..I need to hide the power wire a little better under the seats, but aside from that it looks great.

I have a photo of the install, hopefully I did not screw up the attachment. If you care for any other photos let me know.
P5244317.JPG

Last edited:
What I did and it only took me about 15 minutes, is to remove the back panel of the center console(the part where the air controls are for the rear seats). When you do this you have access to the wiring for the cigarette lighter and auxillary hook up.

Thanks for this. I just bought the same units. Should get them in a couple of days.

Question: How do you go about removing the back panel? Is it just a matter of pulling on it until it comes out or is there a trick to it?

There is no trick to get the back part of the center console off, just go slow! I started at the top on the sides and was able to pull it back slowly. You will here it pop where the plastic tabs hold it in. Very easy, but I know nervous one can feel when doing this. The big thing is when putting it back, make sure everything is lined up correctly or you will see a difference in seems where it meshes up with the rest of the console.

Hopefully you have the black leather and you will love the headrest dvd's. The video games that come with the unit are not that great, but the you cant go wrong with the dvd part. Hard to believe people pay $1600+ for the Audiovox or Rosden ones.

Yes, I do have the black leather ones; just got them yesterday. The color fit is pretty good, actually better than I expected. I'll install them over the weekeend.

OK, so I did manage to get the Headrest DVDs installed over the weekend. Took me about 2-3 hours to get it all done. I ended up attaching the ground cables to a screw of the metal bracket at the bottom of the center console. I originally thought I could plug the fuse tap into an empty slot in the fuse box, but the empty ones do not appear to be wired, so I used the one for the side mirrors (the tap allows for the mirrors to still work and provides power to the DVDs), and it works like a charm. (cool)

A big thanks to trey169 and CX9 SportsOwner for the insights and instructions on how to do this!! (rei)

Some pics to show you the end result.

Attachments

• IMG_6121.JPG
    IMG_6121.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_6122.JPG
    IMG_6122.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 765
God I have to get me some of these. I like how you can zip them up and hide them. Do most of these that are built-in to the headrest have some way to cover them up?

alinoro - did you also buy it from www.onfair.com?? I glanced at the site but didn't see any specs on screen resolution, and what type of screen it is. Did they include the specs in the packaging? If so, can you post it?

alinoro - did you also buy it from www.onfair.com?? I glanced at the site but didn't see any specs on screen resolution, and what type of screen it is. Did they include the specs in the packaging? If so, can you post it?

I did buy it there. Screen is TFT; but the manual does not mention anything I could see about resolution. I thought the resolution was fine when I played the DVDs, although I did not specifically focus on it. I guess it's as good as the other "7" player I have.

Saw this on Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=71350&eCat=BC|79|4842|71350&whse=BC&topnav=&hierPath=79*4842*71350*&lang=en-US

Headrest units cost $700 w/ installation. Resolution also not listed. Even if you pay some local guy $150 for installation, this is still at least $350 more than the onfair.com unit.

But that 12.1" mounted unit sure looks nice. Not sure if it is $800 nice. For that price and resolution, you could easily buy a netbook ($300-$400) or a new unibody 13" Macbook Pro $1100 (after student or corp discount) and get a free iPod Touch.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it's possible that I have not appropriately connected the ground wire. I did tie it to the metal frame of the center console, but I do not know if that is sufficient.

Does anybody know what the symptons and/or potential impacts of an inadequate ground would be? How would I notice it?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it's possible that I have not appropriately connected the ground wire. I did tie it to the metal frame of the center console, but I do not know if that is sufficient.

Does anybody know what the symptoms and/or potential impacts of an inadequate ground would be? How would I notice it?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

You would notice it by the device not operating properly. Unfortunately you may also damage it in the process.

Check the ground before operating the device as follows:
Test light. Put a test light across the battery and note the brightness. Then from + on the battery to your ground point. If the light is dim, weak ground.

Ohm Meter. Ohm meter from - on the battery to your ground point. Should have almost no resistance.

Wiring Advice Needed

Thanks a lot to everyone on this thread, I had no knowledge of auto wiring but I feel I am almost ready to setup my headrest DVD unit with info available here.

As SportsOnwer suggested, I already got.

1. Fuse Tap(Kragen).
2. Crimp-On Snap Connectors(RadioShack)
3. 18 Gauge Wire(PepBoys)

I want to connect by Pyle(PL71PHB) DVD unit which I brought from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Only thing that I am not sure to install these is the power connector with these units have 3 cables Yellow-(B+ : Battery)), Red-(REM: ACC), and Black(GND: Ground).

So Could you please suggest me do I need to connect my RED(ACC) wire with Fuse Tap wire and if yes where will the Yellow B+ Battery wire will go. Also I am planning to connect Black wire to the center console as done by AllyJack.

I have also upload the image for my connection adapter.

Thanks in Advance.
Naveen

Last edited:
Back