Remaining punchlist for turbo...

sac02

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
July 12 is D-day for the install.

Tell me if you think I'm forgetting something.

Or just chime in with questions or comments.

HKEdYPp.jpg

Lift in place, ramps built, car is in the air for the first time!
zv0M5fg.jpg

On schedule with IC piping fitment. I bought this 2.5" stuff used, but I'm the thinking that I'm going to buy some new pipes and run 2.0" from my turbo to IC.
VHU2PI6.jpg

Watching this closely, sac02. Where did you get your CAI? and is that some type of resonator mounted on it?
Nevermind, I just realized thats the inlet to the TB from the intercooler. Man, the heat must be getting to me today.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, no - I may very well be the first.

But honestly it's pretty much idententical to turboing a first Gen. So I may technically get the title of "first boosted second gen", but I'm not really breaking any new grond.

A boosted 5 is cool but, what are the specs on the lift? Brand? Price? Is it bolted to the floor? How high does it go? Or maybe a link and I will check it out myself? Seriously though, cool project.

Lift in place, ramps built, car is in the air for the first time!

On schedule with IC piping fitment. I bought this 2.5" stuff used, but I'm the thinking that I'm going to buy some new pipes and run 2.0" from my turbo to IC.
Cool! Can't wait to see numbers and live vicariously thru you :D.
You are so organized and it sounds like you had to get/make stuff just to do this project! Would like to hear more on the (est.) total cost when complete.

Is the motivation for smaller piping for quicker spool or is there a space issue? What turbo and/or flange fitting are you using again?

Just posting another portable lift option (4th July sale). It is on my list but do not own yet. It is popular with the Miata crowd as it is probably the most portable solution I’ve ever seen and unobtrusive access to the underside. I need to shop Costco this weekend to get the Arcon jack to replace my Sears Jack. Baby steps :p
http://www.ezcarlift.com/

Last edited:
Very cool! My only complaint about my 5 is that it needs 40 more HP. I'll watch how this turns out.

Cool! Can't wait to see numbers and live vicariously thru you :D.

(1) You are so organized and it sounds like you had to get/make stuff just to do this project!
(2) Would like to hear more on the (est.) total cost when complete.
(3) Is the motivation for smaller piping for quicker spool or is there a space issue?
(4) What turbo and/or flange fitting are you using again?

(5) ... another portable lift option ... http://www.ezcarlift.com/

(1) Did you say organized?

5rZeKy6.jpg

qf170kl.jpg

(2) I was trying to keep it under $4k, but I'm not going to meet that budget. First, I chose to use a name brand (Garrett) turbo, so the cost for that was almost twice some of the other options I was considering. And second, as the install approaches next week, I've been forced to just suck it up and buy new parts (For example, I just dropped $150 for various oil and water AN lines/fittings), instead of being able to search for sales, used parts, repurposed parts from other applications, or other deals.

(3) 2" tubing does make routing easier, but this engine bay is quite spacious, there's plenty of room for larger tubing. The main reason for 2" is for response. Before I started this project, I assumed 3" (or maybe 2.5") was the ideal tubing size because it is what I see on the the majority of aftermarket turbo kits. But the more I research and do my math (being an engineer with a basic understanding of fluid dynamics has its advantages), 3" tubing is WAY oversized for most modest turbo kits (modest being like, under 1000hp).

(4) Garrett GT2871R, with an ATP turbine housing for mazdaspeed applications. I specifically wanted to use the mazda flanges so I could use off-the-shelf mazdaspeed parts (manifold and downpipe) instead of having to have custom parts made.

(5) I hadn't seen that lift you linked before, but I did see a similar concept recently at an HPDE I went to. The portability and use of a hand drill for power is pretty cool. The guy who I saw with one said he did have a two-post lift at home as his "real" daily use lift, which somewhat addressed my musings of how well suited these ultra-portable lifts would be for regular use in a garage. If you don't specifically need the portability, a two-post or scissor lift is cheaper than the $2k asking price for that ezlift.

LOL. You “organized” my post to respond – you win!

Already over $4k and this does not include any internal or exhaust work, correct? Any plans on either? Any reason why not just reuse a stock K04 (perhaps the answer lies in your accepted definition of modest, <1000!?)? Guessing the Garret take up a big chunk of the cost. What about an LSD? Boy, this could get pricy.

Agree on a real two post lift but then I’d up it to a 4 post lift with ramps to double-up paring space  -worth its weight in gold in the city. Price for all of these are similar enough (a few hundred bucks is not going to make any difference) but it all comes down to need. I see myself as a hobbyist and don’t work on cars much anymore so the ezlift fit my needs very well. The real appeal is the unhindered undercarriage access and the portability (more like storage portability, not track events) that won’t piss off the significant other. My goal is to get one when the kids are old enough to work on a project car together.

LOL. You organized my post to respond you win!

Already over $4k and this does not include any internal or exhaust work, correct? Any plans on either? Any reason why not just reuse a stock K04 (perhaps the answer lies in your accepted definition of modest, <1000!?)? Guessing the Garret take up a big chunk of the cost. What about an LSD? Boy, this could get pricy.

Agree on a real two post lift but then Id up it to a 4 post lift with ramps to double-up paring space  -worth its weight in gold in the city. Price for all of these are similar enough (a few hundred bucks is not going to make any difference) but it all comes down to need. I see myself as a hobbyist and dont work on cars much anymore so the ezlift fit my needs very well. The real appeal is the unhindered undercarriage access and the portability (more like storage portability, not track events) that wont piss off the significant other. My goal is to get one when the kids are old enough to work on a project car together.

LOL, Easier to read/write bullet points, especially when responding to multiple questions.

No internal engine work. Exhaust consists of a Downpipe (already included) and a small amount of custom fab on the mz5, that wouldn't be required on the 3. Probably looking at $50.

The Garrett turbo was ~$1400. A used stock K04 would be like $300, so that is the biggest potential savings if you are trying to put together a budget setup. We will see about the LSD in the future, I have been researching that extensively as well. I imagine that one wheel isn't going to appreciate the extra 100hp. (note: the 1000hp mark was somewhat sarcastic - point being that 3" piping on a 1.6L Civic is laughably oversized, even if the 1.6 is boosted to within an inch of it's life at maybe 400hp.)

I live in the suburbs, so the big advantage of a four post (parking space) is not an issue for me. The amount of underbody that is obscurred by the scissor lift is much less than you may imagine. I will have no problem removing exhausts or driveshafts for example, I think.

OVTuned has a turbo kit for $4k...I might go that route when i boost.

Link? The last remaining pre-assembled turbo kit for NA fwd mazdas was Tripoint, and they recently took it off their website.

No internal engine work. Exhaust consists of a Downpipe (already included) and a small amount of custom fab on the mz5, that wouldn't be required on the 3. Probably looking at $50.
How much power/boost are you pursuing?

Long story short, I toyed with a DIY build when I had the MT and dug a little. I was left a little insecure feeling whether if the MZR can take much boost to make this a worthwhile venture.

I vaguely recall from the MS3 forum that the MS3 DISI’s internals (rod, pistons, rings, and overall block casting) are reinforced + some other differences compared to the MZR. MS3 owners “upgrade” their K04 to the GT2871R. You are jumping into their upgrad territory with stock MZR internals -of coures this does not mean you plan to make full use but then that would be a waste.

The MS3 mani is susceptible to cracking. The other budget mani option is the Goodspeed (2.3 Focus), which uses a T25 flange and would open up the world of cheapness but durability verdict is still unknown. The in-house kits seem to offer a very nice mani (TriPoint) but cost the part. I have wondered if longevity/durability might be a reason some of these vendors started dropping the Mz3 kits. The public cares about big numbers, which goes against drivability/durability.

Perhaps you may have come across the article below. Explains why a MS3 transplant into Mz3/Mz5 will not be easy. The editor offers a great solution: Franken-motor, problem mostly solved - just not sure how/where you are going to get a healthy MS3 bottom end + mo'money..
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1106_mazda_mazdaspeed3_engine_swap_question_it/viewall.html
The Mazdaspeed3 engine (DISI) will indeed fit into a Mazda3 (in place of the MZR engine), but the transmission, drivetrain, engine control, electronics, induction, and exhaust are all completely different. Could you spend the cash and the money to do a swap? Sure, but MS3 engine swaps aren’t nearly as cheap as a B-series swap in a Honda, so it probably isn’t going to be very cost effective. If everything you needed happened to drop into your lap and you had more time than money, I’d say go for it. Or if you wanted to do a barebones swap and use only the superior MS3 turbo block and keep your MZR head, transmission, ECU, and electronics, that would be a much easier and more cost effective plan. The DISI engine’s design in the MS3 is based on the MZR engine in the Mazda3 so the engine mounts will bolt to both engine blocks. The DISI cylinder head’s design is loosely based on the MZR’s, but the intake manifold and bolt pattern are completely different. The exhaust manifold bolt pattern is the same as an MZR’s so you can also run a turbo and exhaust manifold from a stock MS3, but you’re probably better off getting a turbo system from Tri-Point Engineering in Canoga Park, CA, for more power. Remember that the DISI’s block and head are completely different castings than the MZR castings and are superior in many ways since they are designed for both direct injection and turbo, and definitely the way to go if you’re planning serious power.

Last edited:
Link? The last remaining pre-assembled turbo kit for NA fwd mazdas was Tripoint, and they recently took it off their website.

It was posted in the Mazda 3 Revolution Facebook group

10491068_1431123013827853_6718179533875245580_n.jpg

Mat's supposed to tune my stock 5 when I have time to get it on the dyno for a baseline run.

Back