Realistic price discount for a 2023 CX-5?

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
There's always a way to "do more", it just comes down to how much grinding a person is willing to do, and whether or not they think it will be worth it.

@oldspicejet, if I'm reading your original post correctly, they sent you an invoice for the car, but you haven't paid for it yet. Is that correct? Did they ask you to make a deposit? If they did, is it refundable?

What I would do is contact the other two dealerships via email and tell them that you've received other offers for the vehicle at MSRP pricing, then ask them if they can do $1000 below MSRP. If they reply in an email that they can, you have an extra bargaining chip with your current dealer. Even if the current dealership refuses to match the price, and you have to forfeit a $500 deposit to walk away from the deal, you can still save $500 by going to the other dealer. Just be sure to finalize that deal before cancelling your original deal. I wouldn't want you to give up your deposit, then show up at the other dealer only for them to pull some bait-and-switch tactics on you.

Again, it all comes down to how much you want to fight for a better price. If you're comfortable with the price you paid, it might just be easier/less stressful to not worry about the deal and be excited for your new car! But, if you want those extra savings, the advice provided by others above is how you get them.

When I bought my CX-9, I basically did exactly what @Tchman2016 described in post #18, only it was not a secret that I was pitting them against each other. I basically told them all what I was looking for, what I wanted to pay, and who I was sending copies of this email to.

oldspicejet

:
mazda cx-5
There's always a way to "do more", it just comes down to how much grinding a person is willing to do, and whether or not they think it will be worth it.

@oldspicejet, if I'm reading your original post correctly, they sent you an invoice for the car, but you haven't paid for it yet. Is that correct? Did they ask you to make a deposit? If they did, is it refundable?

What I would do is contact the other two dealerships via email and tell them that you've received other offers for the vehicle at MSRP pricing, then ask them if they can do $1000 below MSRP. If they reply in an email that they can, you have an extra bargaining chip with your current dealer. Even if the current dealership refuses to match the price, and you have to forfeit a $500 deposit to walk away from the deal, you can still save $500 by going to the other dealer. Just be sure to finalize that deal before cancelling your original deal. I wouldn't want you to give up your deposit, then show up at the other dealer only for them to pull some bait-and-switch tactics on you.

Again, it all comes down to how much you want to fight for a better price. If you're comfortable with the price you paid, it might just be easier/less stressful to not worry about the deal and be excited for your new car! But, if you want those extra savings, the advice provided by others above is how you get them.

When I bought my CX-9, I basically did exactly what @Tchman2016 described in post #18, only it was not a secret that I was pitting them against each other. I basically told them all what I was looking for, what I wanted to pay, and who I was sending copies of this email to.
thanks. I haven't yet paid the $500 refundable deposit anywhere. My original statement to Dealer 1 was that I won't pay more than MSRP and I want $500 loyalty discount. Other dealers tried to at least get paid for the $1000 in dealer installed options but I said "nope, I already got MSRP offer from Dealer 1" They all later said that theyll do MSRP on their own. The fact that I didn't have to haggle and pin them against each other makes me think they could do better on the discount. They all have cars on the lot too at this point. Maybe they don't have all the colors and trims but they do have inventory so seems things are changing. Im just not sure how low to go. Counter them with $1000 less + $500 loyalty + let me have all the dealer options free?

When I bought a 2015 CX-5 new, I got $2,000 off the sticker by doing the pin technique over email and one dealer called me end of month saying, "if you come today I'll do your price" so I went on a Sunday and bought it. Something is up with Toyota though. They want $10,000 over sticker for the Plug in Rav4 at this point. I asked the sales guy "how these buyers will make up the difference in MPG by paying $55k for a Rav4? He said he has no idea what these people are thinking.

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
Something is up with Toyota though. They want $10,000 over sticker for the Plug in Rav4 at this point. I asked the sales guy "how these buyers will make up the difference in MPG by paying $55k for a Rav4? He said he has no idea what these people are thinking.
Yeah, my brother is shopping RAV4 & the Toyota dealer who just acquired the Mazda/VW dealer I've been dealing with is advertising $2k ADM on a normal RAV4 & $4k ADM on a hybrid. So far they haven't advertised that on any of the Mazda's & VW's.

At the 1/2 dozen or so Toyota dealers my brother has shopped, all the incoming RAV's are presold. My Mazda dealer seems to have a fair number of CX-5's.

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
I suggest that while doing negotiation leave the $500 royalty discount out of it.
Dealer will apply that into the final price anyway. They get that money from Mazda.
Keep negotiation simple.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
thanks guys. I reached out to 3 local dealers in Los Angeles area and all wanted to sell car with up to $1000 in dealer extras. I said "no thanks, I dont want the extras and will only pay MSRP" over email and later in day all came back with, "OK ill do MSRP"

This makes me wonder if I could have asked for $500-$1000 under MSRP for something like the Premium Plus trim which is what I inquired about.
It’s a fine line. You don’t want to offer a higher price and then try to haggle them down. You want to start with a lower offer and then negotiate up if needed. On the flip side, if your offer is too low, the dealers might not think you’re serious about buying or it’s not worth their time.

A CX-5 is not a rav 4, it's way better and I personally found the RAV4 to be a POS as far as quality, features, luxury and style go compared the mazda. I'd personally rather have the Mazda and let the brainwashed Toyota or Honda lovers get screwed over with nonsense ADM. Mazda is tops in quality and a little known secret. People have their head up their ass and one track minds thinking they are superior. They are not and have many many problems of their own. Be smart

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
A CX-5 is not a rav 4, it's way better and I personally found the RAV4 to be a POS as far as quality, features, luxury and style go compared the mazda. I'd personally rather have the Mazda and let the brainwashed Toyota or Honda lovers get screwed over with nonsense ADM. Mazda is tops in quality and a little known secret. People have their head up their ass and one track minds thinking they are superior. They are not and have many many problems of their own. Be smart
Agreed. I compared everything in this category and went for the Mazda. When my first CX-5 was rear ended & totaled at 4 months I replaced it with it's clone. My youngest son has a Mazda 3 & loves it. He's had no problems whatsoever. My older son lost his car in a flood & wanted to replace it with a GTR cause he liked mine so much. We tried in vain to find a GTR but peak pandemic could not find one available. He "settled" on a CRV mainly because one was available on the dealers lot. It's an ok vehicle but not on par with my GTR in my opinion.

:
2021 CX-5 GTR
I would suggest waiting to buy if all possible as we are at the beginning of a big market correction. Prices will be falling for a while now. Hopefully we get back to a buyer favorable market soon. Dealers have had a nice ride....