2017~2024 Rear hatch opening by itself?

I really wouldn't worry about it. This involves a tiny number of people, and of that tiny number, most probably caused the issue by an accidental push of the button. I was curious though, so I called the service manager at my Mazda dealership yesterday afternoon, and he's never heard about this issue. He called two other service managers in the area, and they hadn't heard about it either. My service manager did tell me that he did have one customer with a locking mechanism failure, and the dealership replaced the locking assembly.

It would suck if you left it parked for a couple of weeks, like at an airport, and you came back to an opened hatch or unlocked doors.

I wonder if you could pull a fuse to disable it? It would be extra trouble to open with the emergency key.

There’re reports and based on my own experience this auto-locking feature on the CX-5 won’t happen 100% of time which may leave us in an undesired situation with unlocked vehicle. I have to pay attention making sure I hear the first beep, otherwise I take my key fob out and lock the CX-5 “manually”.

With auto-folding mirrors, that should be easier to verify if the CX-5 is auto-locked or not.

The auto-locking feature works very well. I think a lot of people had/have issues with it because they set expectations without actually knowing how the feature works.

It should always lock the doors automatically if the keyfob is within range of the proximity sensors when the last open door is closed. If the fob is in range, the system will prime itself (one audible beep after the door closes). When the fob exits the proximity sensor's range, the car beeps again and locks all doors automatically.

If the doors do not lock after the system is primed, or if the system does not prime when the fob is still in range, then there is an actual problem with the auto-locking system.

This is very concerning. I drive a 2017 (GT w/Tech) while my brother drives a 2018 (GT w/Tech as well). One time he complained that when he went down to his driveway in the morning, he was surprised to find the rear hatch open. I dismissed him and didn't think much of it. A few months later he complained about the same thing again, and again I dismissed him.

Last night, I parked my car at the grocery store, clicked the lock button on my fob. Upon returning some 15 mins later I was horrified to see my rear hatch wide open. I often have about $25,000 worth of photography gear in there (yea, I know I shouldn't) so this really freaked me out.

I know for a fact that I did not open the hatch with the button inside the car or the fob. In order to open the hatch with the fob, the open hatch button (which is near the bottom of the fob as opposed to the top for the door lock function) needs to be pressed for 2 seconds or so and an audible sound is heard. I definitely didn't have any buttons pressed for an extended time and I definitely did NOT hear any beeping sound. Also, I was facing a huge glass window and had I triggered the open hatch function, I would see the reflection of the hazard lights in the window in front of me which are also triggered when opening the vehicle. Also, while in the grocery store, there is NO way I would've accidentally pressed AND HELD the open hatch button. The fob was dangling from my finger by its ring the entire time.

Doing some research, I found this:

The people responding to the OP in that post suggest it's the key fob, but from my own experience I know there was no way I could've triggered it by hitting AND HOLDING the open button.

Anyone else experience this? This could potentially be a big issue. We leave things in our cars and this could lead to serious loss of personal property.

I'm awaiting any input from other owners.

Regards
I have had this happen multiple times within 1 year. I have taken a picture 3x and dated it. My dealer also said they've never heard of hatch opening on its own. I leased a Cx-5 Sept 2019. There are many threads talking about this issue. I've written Mazda via email and they also say they haven't seen any recalls relating to this....perhaps that is the case but it is still happening. What do we do?

I have had this happen multiple times within 1 year. I have taken a picture 3x and dated it. My dealer also said they've never heard of hatch opening on its own. I leased a Cx-5 Sept 2019. There are many threads talking about this issue. I've written Mazda via email and they also say they haven't seen any recalls relating to this....perhaps that is the case but it is still happening. What do we do?

This is the procedure for escalation as outlined in the manual:

The best chance to get your mysterious problem fixed is to take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer. If they can’t help you, you escalate this issue to Mazda North American Operations and create a case. Tell them it’s a safety issue and ask them to find out if there’s a solution yet with a Service Alert or Technical Service Bulletin.

When contacting MNAO, use this contact info and follow these steps (which were cut and pasted from the owner's manual):

E-mail: click on “Contact Us” located on the bottom of the page at www.mazdausa.com under “Help”

By phone at: 1 (800) 222-5500

By letter at:
ATTN: Customer Experience Center
Mazda North American Operations
200 Spectrum Center Drive Suite 100
Irvine, California 92618
P.O. Box 19734
Irvine, CA 92623-9734

In order to serve you efficiently and effectively, please help us by providing the following information:
1. Your name, address, and telephone number
2. Year and model of vehicle
3. Vehicle Identification Number (17 digits, noted on your registration or title or located on the upper driver's side corner of the dash)
4. Purchase date and current mileage
5. Your dealer's name and location
6. Your question(s)

Following that, if you aren't satisfied with your experience with MNAO, you would then file a complaint with the BBB (info also located in the owner's manual).

In the meantime, while the issue is being dealt with, you can do the following to test/prevent the rear hatch from opening when you don't want it to:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

You could keep your fobs in a faraday box or bag/pouch when you're home or at work to block the fob from sending unintended signals to the car.

For users experiencing this problem, you can determine whether the problem is fob-related by placing your key fob in a faraday pouch right after you lock the vehicle. If you no longer come back to a car with the hatch open over a long enough period of time, you can safely assume that the problem is fob-related. If the hatch continues to open on it's own while the fob is secured in a faraday pouch/box, it's likely a problem with the car itself (BCM, power liftgate module) or RF cross-transmission (or possibly a latching mechanism issue as TDK1044 mentioned).

Has happened to my wife a couple of times. It is most certainly the fob being inadvertently activated. There are a few threads on it in the forum.

Has happened to my wife a couple of times. It is most certainly the fob being inadvertently activated. There are a few threads on it in the forum.
That's what I assumed first few times but it's impossible due to distance from vehicle. Someone suggested I purchase a fob protector on amazon for 12.99 which I will do to see if that eliminates the issue. Your wife may want to try this as well.

This is the procedure for escalation as outlined in the manual:

When contacting MNAO, use this contact info and follow these steps (which were cut and pasted from the owner's manual):

E-mail: click on “Contact Us” located on the bottom of the page at www.mazdausa.com under “Help”

By phone at: 1 (800) 222-5500

By letter at:
ATTN: Customer Experience Center
Mazda North American Operations
200 Spectrum Center Drive Suite 100
Irvine, California 92618
P.O. Box 19734
Irvine, CA 92623-9734

In order to serve you efficiently and effectively, please help us by providing the following information:
1. Your name, address, and telephone number
2. Year and model of vehicle
3. Vehicle Identification Number (17 digits, noted on your registration or title or located on the upper driver's side corner of the dash)
4. Purchase date and current mileage
5. Your dealer's name and location
6. Your question(s)

Following that, if you aren't satisfied with your experience with MNAO, you would then file a complaint with the BBB (info also located in the owner's manual).

In the meantime, while the issue is being dealt with, you can do the following to test/prevent the rear hatch from opening when you don't want it to:
I'll buy the fob protector to test it out. I have already emailed Mazda so I will also contact MNAO. Thanks.

I'm curious what sort of location the car was in when this happened. If in a crowded parking lot I'd have to wonder if it was picking up someone else's signal.

I'm curious what sort of location the car was in when this happened. If in a crowded parking lot I'd have to wonder if it was picking up someone else's signal.
1. Parked across the street, a very wide blvd - I was in office building 7 floors up 2. In outdoor shopping center, parked along end of lot, far from my shopping area 3. Parked on residential cul de sac 5 houses away from my location.

I have the same issue with my 2016 CX5, the rear door unlock (not wide open though, which is better in this point) by itself starting a few months back, sometimes on the way when driving, sometimes when I press the unlock button to get into the car. this is getting more and more frequent. Most of the time, I have to come out to re-close the rear door when safe, very very annoying.
Spoke to the Mazda service in my area, they also claim this never heard, and suggested me to replace the whole locker for the rear door to try out whether the issue will be fixed, which will cost me $500+.

Basically, my confidence on Mazda is running away....

Last edited:
I keep meaning to buy one of those rubber bumper covers for my next gen key. I’ve set off the alarm a couple times with the key in my pocket (did it earlier today moving stuff around in my self storage locker — I have an indoor locker, but closish to the door; set it off through the steel walls.

ONCE I went outside after carrying in and putting away groceries, and making a snack ... and found my CX-5 (parked across the street) with the its tailgate open again.

Presumably, I did that accidentally with the key, too.
It would be nice if the car was smart enough to close itself up again if the key is gone for a (selectable) length of time ... but you can’t plan for everything. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Smart Key Fob Remote Cover Case Skin Jacket Keyless Entry For 2020 2019 Mazda https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

There is a device for garage doors that will close the door if it remains open after a certain period of inactivity.

They could probably include that feature in the opener itself.

There is a device for garage doors that will close the door if it remains open after a certain period of inactivity.

They could probably include that feature in the opener itself.

I've got a friend who recently upgraded his garage door opener to a smart one. It's tied to his wifi system so he can see the status of the garage door (open/closed) using an app on his phone, and close/open it from the phone as well. I think it's this one.

I've got a friend who recently upgraded his garage door opener to a smart one. It's tied to his wifi system so he can see the status of the garage door (open/closed) using an app on his phone, and close/open it from the phone as well. I think it's this one.
I upgraded my dumb garage door opener to a smart one with https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). It works great. No more wondering if we forgot to close it a mile down the road.

I don't believe unattended self closing would be allowed on the vehicle, or garage door in the US. With the garage door, when remotely closing, you get a series of loud beeping and a flashing strobe light before it activates.

Back on topic, we have a couple scratches on the lower tailgate from this exact thing. I usually back in, which eliminates the concern. But, my wife always pulls straight in. I now try and look before pressing the opener, which has helped.

IMO theres a design flaw on CX-5s power liftgate system. Cant blame the car owner even if he or she accidentally press the key fob liftgate button. Apparently the liftgate is too easy to open by the key fob either the liftgate release button pressing time is not long enough, or the button is not recessed enough on the key fob. Compare key fob buttons between gen-2 CX-5 and my 1998 Honda CR-V with attached pictures, one obvious thing is buttons on CX-5 are bulging up but buttons on CR-V are recessed, especially the rear hatch window release button. Thus the key fob buttons on my CR-V are not easy to get pushed accidentally even in the pocket with other things. And I have to push the rear hatch window release button a little harder for at least 3 seconds to make it work. In my 20+ years of owning my CR-V, the rear hatch window has never been accidentally opened, even though I always keep the remote key fob in my pocket when I walk away from the CR-V. Ive been complaining that our 2016 CX-5 doesnt have a liftgate release button on remote key fob (and a release button in the car) which is inconvenient. But now may be thats a good thing.

2018-mazda-cx-5-intelligent-smart-key-remote-w-hatch-11.png
honda_new_dealer_installed_honda_cr_v_crv_97_98_99_00_01_2001_2000_1998_1999_1997_a269zua101_keyless_remote_control_keyfob_vehicle_security_alarm_entry_transmitter_new_144_p3421.jpg
I have 2017 CX-5. The car was I. The garage with the garage door down. Car was locked. I went to open the garage door from the outside and the door stopped going up. The door stopped going up and jammed. I then opened the other garage door went into the garage to see that the Mazda lift gate opened against the opening door and bent the bottom of the lift gate. The fob must have come into contact with something else in my pocket and opened with out me knowing when I went to open the door from the outside. Went to my Mazda dealer and they could care less. Had no answers for me. Haven’t gotten it fixed yet, $700 to $800 to fix. I wouldn’t buy another Mazda.

I have 2017 CX-5. The car was I. The garage with the garage door down. Car was locked. I went to open the garage door from the outside and the door stopped going up. The door stopped going up and jammed. I then opened the other garage door went into the garage to see that the Mazda lift gate opened against the opening door and bent the bottom of the lift gate. The fob must have come into contact with something else in my pocket and opened with out me knowing when I went to open the door from the outside. Went to my Mazda dealer and they could care less. Had no answers for me. Haven’t gotten it fixed yet, $700 to $800 to fix. I wouldn’t buy another Mazda.

Sorry to hear that, but it doesn't sound like it was Mazda's fault at all.

Unless you can somehow prove that the fob is defective, it is unreasonable to expect any dealership, whether it's Mazda or Mercedes Benz, to do anything about the problem.

Sorry to hear that, but it doesn't sound like it was Mazda's fault at all.

Unless you can somehow prove that the fob is defective, it is unreasonable to expect any dealership, whether it's Mazda or Mercedes Benz, to do anything about the problem.
My point is that there should be some way of turning the auto lift gate on or off.

Back