rattle over bumps...

El Speed3

:
Mazdaspeed3 2010
Hey!

Ive got a question, hope someone can help me...

Ive been hearing a rattle in my suspension (I think so, at least) while going over bumpy roads (which, given the fact that its Mexico, its pretty much everywhere...).

I sound as though something loose, if I happen to find a smooth patch of road it disappears but comes back as soon as the bumps start again.

From my experience, I had a similar problem with my Mini Cooper S, same noise pretty much under same circumstances. The problem turned out to be a broken suspension arm, direction terminals and some other thing I dont really remember (hope the parts exist, theyre the literal translation)... I hear the rattle directly in front of me...

Having heard all the problems about the engine mounts, could this be a case of it? or someone with some more experience might enlighten me...

I plan to take it to the dealer (it better be covered by the warranty!!). I have 5,000~ish KMs...

Thanks!!

I'd say it would be from the weather (IE Cold)...but that's probably not your case. I get terrible rattling/clunking/etc when the weather is chilly and I"m going over any type of bump.

---I'm guessing the bar ends are attached to your front and rear struts.

That sounds odd. I would try the "pushing down of each corner of the car method," just to see if you can reproduce the the sounds while your car is at a standstill. You know what I mean? If you hear something coming from one of the 4 corners of your car, then maybe you can narrow your search to that location?

If that doesn't reproduce anything, try rocking the engine a bit by hand. Make sure the engine is cool though. lol The reason I say this, (totally different subject) is because I have the TRZ dog bone rear motormount, and I started to hear some rattling coming from my engine bay that isn't the norm. So I pulled up at that gas station, popped the hood, and pushed-pulled the engine from the upper portion of the intercooler and I was able to reproduce the sound I was hearing from my engine. Not only could I hear it, but I could feel there was a slight gap in between the pushing/pulling of my engine. So I did an oil change on my car yesterday and while under it, I was able to confirm the sound by tugging on the motormount where it connects to the transmission. Sure enough, that was the culprit, for me anyways. So I fixed it by taking out the mount, cleaning up the metal sleeve that sits in the center of the mount where it connects to the frame of the car. I used epoxy to hold the sleeve in place to keep it from vibrating around causing un-needed vibrations while the car is at idle. I put the mount back on, and the vibs are gone. That's just a personal experience with my car, granted its on an aftermarket part.

Maybe yours is just as simple as a loose bolt in the frame, or maybe something in the glove box that could be rattling around when you hit a bump. Hope you find out what the deal is. Good luck in your rattling hunt!

Well, the rattle is still there... Ill try all of your suggestions if Im able to find out what they are, since Im not very experienced on the whole car parts and servicing, guess Ill start investigating... If anybody can, please send me some pics of where I should be looking, its very difficult to know car parts in a different language!

Im pretty much sure its coming from the front of the drivers side. I thinks its related to the suspension given the previous experience I already mentioned, but it might me something different, Ill see what I can find, worst case scenario, Ill take it to the dealers, they ought to repair it under warranty...

Thanks again!

I just bought a new 2010 MS3, sold my 2007 last winter. The 2007 had one of the rear swaybar links loosen up--I had read someplace that a bunch of the new ones back then were not properly torqued from the factory.

Sure enough I found the right rear one finger tight. I was able to put some blue locktite on it and tighten it from under the rear of the car without even jacking it up....Presto! No more rattle since then. All you need is a metric allen bit and an open end wrench.

Check all your stabalizer link bolts carefully-- the fix took 5 minutes.

Bob

Your best bet is the dealer. Unless you can get a video of the sound to post up. We cannot be of more help to you.

Latest posts

Back