rar40941's build thread

I dont mind not looking around cause I have alot of mirrors and don't really have to look around lol
You don't need to look around? Seriously? What about changing lanes on the highway? Backing out of a parking spot? Do you also apply your make-up while you text when you drive?

I'll jump in on this conversation since I'll be running pretty much the same setup. I'll have a roll bar, 5-point harnesses and racing seats/brackets. As long as everything is mounted correctly and quality parts are used I don't see how a race car setup is more dangerous than an OEM 3-point belt? Of course, with the 4-point harness you could submarine under the lap belt, but how is it setup any differently than a 3-point belt? As long as your harnesses are over your shoulders and across your lap and SNUG I don't see why this is such a huge issues? And as far as an EMS crew not knowing how to cut someone out of a 4/5-point harness, come on now. That's insulting their intelligence, JT. They can cut you out of a 3-point but would be baffled what this extra belt is? Haha. If they can cut the roof off of a car I'll think they can figure out how a camlock or 4/5-point harness works.

As for the side mirrors, everyone should have their mirrors setup properly like this photo;
mirrors-correct.jpg

We were taught this in my first Hyperdrive at Mid-Ohio. You basically push your mirrors out as far as they'll go. You don't want to see any of your car in the side mirrors. It takes some getting used to but has saved my ass a couple times now.

-disclaimer, I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone, stir up drama or start a flame war/debate. Just a simple conversation. :)

never insulted EMT intelligence, just know first hand they will ruin aftermarket equipment way before trying to figure out how to undo them. Many friends are EMTs both civil servants and military, plus what do i know i drive a slow ass family grocery getter not a race car.. :p

Oh yeah, I mean I wouldn't think an EMT would show up on the scene and see a 4/5-point harness and be like "Hmmm, cars on fire but I gotta figure this belt out first. Let's see... maybe twist this buckle thing? Hmmm... Fark it, I'm cutting this bastard out.". Haha. But a lot of people post that EMT reason saying they wouldn't know how to get you out. I would assume if I was in an accident I would want to be removed as quickly as possible, I wouldn't care if they cut my harnesses to get me or my passenger out.

I still don't see how a 4/5-point harness, seats and roll bar is MORE dangerous than an OEM 3-point. Assuming you're using quality aftermarket parts and not eBay knock-off crap.

You don't need to look around? Seriously? What about changing lanes on the highway? Backing out of a parking spot? Do you also apply your make-up while you text when you drive?

I never turn my head I have a wink mirror u don't need too and Blind spot mirrors. so I never have to turn my head to change lains backing up all I do is loosen the harness a bit lol

I have never depended completely on my mirrors. Too easy for someone to sneak into the blind spot. As for wink mirrors I am pretty sure that because of my height my head would cause a bad blind spot.
IMO a properly used harness set-up would be a pita for a DD, not being able to adjust your position on longer trips would suck. Even if my car were going to be predominantly used for the track, if I had to drive the car to the track and back I would be moving next door to the track. Just my opinion. Do what you want.

That's y I check all my mirrors before I change lains. I see all my blind spots so,I don't have to turn around.I have Been doing this for a year and half haven't gotten int an accident

It's all good my friend. Everyone is different. I'm not trying to take a dump in your thread, just throwing out another point of view and food for thought.

The only problem I see with harnesses is head restraint. Not exactly 100% safe without some sort of Hans device.

Let me explain why I said what I said, I am no expert but I have been around racing a while and done alot of research and this is just what I have concluded and would like to pass it on so others can make a decision themselves. I have a roll bar and a fixed back Sparco seat in my track car that I drive to the track and to my shop to work on. It has been proven numerous times in crash testing, 4 point harness are not a reliable form of belt. There is a reason that many organizations outlaw them. A stock 3 point belt is designed to alow you to escape to the side and to slightly give, via the reel, in an impact so that you do not submarine, four points do non of this. As for the road safety crews, with more belt holding you in there is more belts to cut to get you out, although the same can be said on the track so I dont know where that argument comes in. My roll bar was welded and installed in such a way that a full cage can be added at a later date and when discussing belts with the designer he said to only use the 3-point on or off track until the full cage is done. Also most people use bolt in roll bars that have a history of sometimes not providing the best of reliability, combined with the un-knowns of harnesses it was a risk I was not wanting to take. I am sure most people know most of this but just backing my statement.

When 4 point harneses aren't installed or tightened properly you can actually slide out under the lap belts in a crash.

Back