Quick Question: MSP Engine

fyang09

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Okay, so it turns out I have a locked engine and my only option is to get my MSP back on the road is to get a new engine. It's hard to find a original Mazdaspeed Protege engine knowing that they only made a number of them. I'm just a noob with engine swaps so my questions are:

1) Would a Protege ES, LX, DX, etc. engine fit right into the mounts?

2) If I put the MSP stock turbo setup on, would I have to tune the engine too?

3) Will there be any power difference if the MSP stock turbo is installed?

Thanks!

The MSP engine and the N/A Protege and (01-02) 626 engines are the exact same (maybe the MSP engine has enlarged coolant jackets but idk about that) so its a straight swap. As long as you have the necessary MSP components including the ECU, you'll be good to go.

The engines are the same... You do the math

Also any 2.0 out of a protege will work as well

You will need to swap a few things but it's easy to get them once you get the motor out

Sorry to ask again but, the mechanic I took my MSP to said I can swap a protege engine (fs-de) into it but it'll cost more rather than getting another MSP engine because of rewiring the ECU. Is that even true?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What? No, why in the hell would he have to rewire anything? There's no difference in engines, the 170HP is due to the Turbo, not the engine itself.

Yeah, that's what I figured too. I'm guessing he just wanted to pull some extra money out of my pocket.

Great thread! Also my favorite view.
smile.jpg

smile.jpg

Surprisingly it hasn't been mentioned... The windage tray, if yours is intact, will need to be transfered to your replacement engine so that you're not required to drill and tap your oil pan for the turbos oil return.

Back