Question about Average Gas Mileage display

Sorry, we're both losing track of who posted what. That wasn't my post. But I think if you take a shot of your actual display, it may help some of us "old-timers" identify what might be different or what's happening.
Sorry about that, I got confused on the post. How do I add a photo in the post?

Sorry about that, I got confused on the post. How do I add a photo in the post?

Settings > General settings
Manage Files
Choose File
Upload [don't worry about "into folder", unless you want to use them]
After picture is uploaded , click the blue hyperlink [under your uploaded files]
The attached file (picture) should open in a new window
Copy the url
Now go back to your post
Click the Insert Image button
Copy and Paste URL
Done

When I upload the image then click the link it opens in a new window with a tiny blue question mark. The image is a J-peg that I uploaded

When I upload the image then click the link it opens in a new window with a tiny blue question mark. The image is a J-peg that I uploaded

It should open in a new window, but you should see it. Offhand it sounds like the image may be corrupted. Try again with a new image?

Mine just has the little gas pump. Is yours a 2018 cx-5?
Yep, youre right! 2018 CX-5 has eliminated constant Distance to Empty display just above the fuel gauge! I definitely like the way of 2017s with constant Distance to Empty display just above the fuel gauge; and a much nicer compass! Another reason to get 2017 over 2018 CX-5 in addition to cylinder deactivation!

2018 CX-5 Instrument Cluster Display:
attachment.php

6AE3B39A-3AA3-4CCE-8D4C-FA540F03E4F3.png

Last edited:
Yep, you’re right! 2018 CX-5 has eliminated constant “Distance to Empty” display just above the fuel gauge! I definitely like the way of 2017’s with constant ”Distance to Empty” display just above the fuel gauge; and a much nicer compass! Another reason to get 2017 over 2018 CX-5 in addition to cylinder deactivation!

2018 CX-5 Instrument Cluster Display:
attachment.php

View attachment 218559

"invalid attachment"
Can you repost?

(uhm) I can see the picture fine. How about others? No need to click the attachment as the picture should have been displayed.

Nope. Same as shadonoz here, only a "Attachment 218559" link shown and then "invalid attachment" after clicking on it.

Reposted the pic. Hope people can see the pic now.

Just noticed, miles to empty is on the compass screen.
Problem solved!

Just noticed, miles to empty is on the compass screen.
Problem solved!
Thats the only screen to show Distance to Empty. You have to move away from other info to see it. I think it should be displayed constantly like 2017 serving as a secondary low-fuel warning. Thiss what the OP wants but unfortunately his 2018 CX-5 simply cant do it.

Here's what it looks like on a 2018. I am parked on P2 of my condo garage, so no compass reading could be obtained. The estimated remaining does not show on any other screen.

Kilometres (kms) are 0.6 of a mile. I should get about 520 km on this tank or around 320 miles.

attachment.php

Attachments

• remaining.jpg
    remaining.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 425
Wow. I'm completely perplexed as to why Mazda would eliminate the DTE in the fuel display. The only thing I can imagine is that people were confused with so much information in front of them. Now, for 18, you have to scroll through displays to see DTE. Strange.

Wow. I'm completely perplexed as to why Mazda would eliminate the DTE in the fuel display. The only thing I can imagine is that people were confused with so much information in front of them. Now, for 18, you have to scroll through displays to see DTE. Strange.

Not ever having had this feature before, I knew that getting close to the "E" and the inevitable low fuel symbol meant I had about 50 KM (30 miles) to go for my Honda Element based on the mileage I was getting and what I read in the manual.

Thats the only screen to show Distance to Empty. You have to move away from other info to see it. I think it should be displayed constantly like 2017 serving as a secondary low-fuel warning. Thiss what the OP wants but unfortunately his 2018 CX-5 simply cant do it.

I'd like engine temp to be always visible, too, but it's not. Maybe Mazda does think it's info overload. OP wanted to know if MTE could be visible on Trip A or B for the 18, and we discovered that's it's not. But is is available elsewhere. Like it or lump it.

The alternative, and what I always did before instruments with MTE displays, is to reset trip B when refilling. That way you can easily check fuel consumption for that tank. And if you know your average range, simple subtraction yields the MTE answer, more or less. I bet many of us here do that.

I personally don't care about MTE, cause I try to fill up around 1/4, anyway.

Back