Question about Average Gas Mileage display

New18CX5

:
2018 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring Premier
This is my first post. My wife and I just purchased a 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Machine Gray Metallic with premier package. This is the first Mazda we ever owned and we are very impressed with it. Fun to drive. I have a lot of reading to learn the infotainment and display. Right now I have a Question about Average Gas Mileage display.

After trading in a 2016 Pathfinder, were amazed by the MPG...lol. Is there a display in the cluster that shows Avg MPG with 0-80 display on top and miles remaining to empty all in the same display? I am using Trip A, But it doesn't have Miles remaining to empty. Is there such a setting? Would prefer not to use a trip setting if possible.

Last edited:
I have a 2015, so I can't tell you, by my experience, what your 2018 has. There aren't as many 2018 owners here as there are owners of other years. I suggest that you read your owners manual.

Press your info button to see the various displays. Fuel consumption shows on the trip meter and some others. There's also a fuel consumption application on the infotainment display.

I have a 2015, so I can't tell you, by my experience, what your 2018 has. There aren't as many 2018 owners here as there are owners of other years. I suggest that you read your owners manual.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I read the manual on this and I found it a little confusing.

Press your info button to see the various displays. Fuel consumption shows on the trip meter and some others. There's also a fuel consumption application on the infotainment display.

I went through each display. I was just wondering if there was a way to add anything to curtain displays.

You can show miles to empty on that display and average on the centre display.

Yes, this is definitely an option.

I have a '17 CX-5. Here is my display. The miles to empty are at the bottom and the average trip mileage is in the center. IMG_0118.JPG
There is also a little blue tick mark in the graph at the top to show your average.

I think someone here had commented not too long ago that some features of the info screen had been changed for the 18 model. I cannot imagine miles remaining was one.

The miles to empty thing is generally not that accurate. You’re best off calculating how many miles travelled vs how much fuel was filled at the pump.

I have a '17 CX-5. Here is my display. The miles to empty are at the bottom and the average trip mileage is in the center.View attachment 218557
There is also a little blue tick mark in the graph at the top to show your average.

Yes, that is what I am looking for. I did test drive a 2017 and I remember seeing that. Maybe it did change for 2018. I can't imagine why Mazda would change that.

The miles to empty thing is generally not that accurate. Youre best off calculating how many miles travelled vs how much fuel was filled at the pump.

It's deliberately designed to be very conservative. Its estimates are consistent, and behave just that way in every car I've had with such a display.

An easier way is to add 40-50 miles to the display [depending on your avg mpg for current conditions]. They're usually 2-2.5 gal short.

It's deliberately designed to be very conservative. Its estimates are consistent, and behave just that way in every car I've had with such a display.

An easier way is to add 40-50 miles to the display [depending on your avg mpg for current conditions]. They're usually 2-2.5 gal short.
Yes, I think you are right. Does anyone here have the 2018 cx-5 that has The miles to empty in the trip A display?

Yes, I think you are right. Does anyone here have the 2018 cx-5 that has The miles to empty in the trip A display?

Can you post a screenshot of your trip A or B display so we can compare it to the older displays?

⋯ Is there a display in the cluster that shows Avg MPG with 0-80 display on top and miles remaining to empty all in the same display? I am using Trip A, But it doesn't have Miles remaining to empty. Is there such a setting? Would prefer not to use a trip setting if possible.
Distance-to-empty should be displayed all the time just above the fuel gauge in every available display mode:

attachment.php

01E66FAB-21BB-4C00-B711-1C109EFEF0F6.png

Im not sure how the newer models differ, but on my 2015 model I always found the real-time fuel economy thing to be super handy.

No I quoted your previous post, But I have the same image in my owners manual. There must be something that needs to be turned on for it to display.

Edit: I was looking in the owners manual online. It must have been for a 2017. I just got the manual out of the the car and it does not show the distance to empty next to the fuel pump in the image.

Last edited:
No I quoted your previous post, But I have the same image in my owners manual. There must be something that needs to be turned on for it to display.

Sorry, we're both losing track of who posted what. That wasn't my post. But I think if you take a shot of your actual display, it may help some of us "old-timers" identify what might be different or what's happening.

Just looked at my manual. It sounds like you don't have the "multi-informational display". See p. 4-15. I would think a GT would certainly have it, but don't know for sure.

Back