Quality, easy to find 0w-20 options?

Any one try Eneos Oil? I am tempted but I don't want to pay $10/qt.

I recently switched from 0W-20 Mobil1 full synthetic and Bosch filters to 0W-20 Mazda full synthetic and Mazda filters because it cut the price of my oil changes to less than half of what the Mobil1/Bosch cost. Lately for the first 10 seconds after I start the car I've been getting really loud lifter ticking. Is the oil too thin or is it poor quality? Will this damage my engine over the course of a few years?

I recently switched from 0W-20 Mobil1 full synthetic and Bosch filters to 0W-20 Mazda full synthetic and Mazda filters because it cut the price of my oil changes to less than half of what the Mobil1/Bosch cost. Lately for the first 10 seconds after I start the car I've been getting really loud lifter ticking. Is the oil too thin or is it poor quality? Will this damage my engine over the course of a few years?

Are you pre-filling the new oil filter before installing it?

Lifter knock

I've been getting lifter knock after startup since new. Especially loud when stepping on gas pedal. Goes away after about 30 seconds. What's up with this? My last car to do this was a 78 Firebird. Embarrassing when I start my "new" car and it sounds like a car with 200K miles on it. Plan to raise the issue with dealer. Probably not oil brand specific, since it happens with "factory" oil.

Not sure about everyone else on here but my local Wal Mart's started carrying the Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic 5 qt jug for $25. You save about $10 compared to if you buy it by the individual quart. I usually get all my oil change supplies there and go with the Bosch filter. All together its running me about $37 before tax. Compare that to the dealer asking price of $60. Essentially you are almost getting a full tank of gas with the money you save.

I've been running Mobil 1 0W-20, buying the jugs at Wal-Mart like Heimy suggested, with Napa Gold filters. Might switch to Mazda filters soon; I'm not sure yet.

Yeah, I always pre-fill filters (as long as they aren't upside down..haha).

I noticed the 5 qt jug at wallyworld last night. My local walmarts quit selling any type of 0w-20 for a while, now they have qt and gallon jugs.

Quaker 0w20 synthetic and OEM filters. My dealer has a price discount when you buy 6 filters at a time. I'm almost at 60k miles at 22 months so no issue with buying in volume.

I've been running Mobil 1 0W-20, buying the jugs at Wal-Mart like Heimy suggested, with Napa Gold filters. Might switch to Mazda filters soon; I'm not sure yet.
Napa gold is made by Wix but I'm not sure if it is at the same level as the original Wix. I use Wix with Mobil1 0w-20, I think it is the best combo so far and when it goes on special I buy 4 jugs (2 for each 2 lol )

Napa gold is made by Wix but I'm not sure if it is at the same level as the original Wix. I use Wix with Mobil1 0w-20, I think it is the best combo so far and when it goes on special I buy 4 jugs (2 for each 2 lol )

Yeah, I knew about the Wix connection, that's precisely why I go with the Napa Golds. Never had an issue. Where do they do 2-for-1 deals on the Mobil 1 jugs? I want a piece of that.

Last edited:
Back