Quality, easy to find 0w-20 options?

eyeballs

:
2012 Mazda 2 Touring SG 5MT
I'd like to find a high quality locally available 0w-20 to use. Can't get redline or amsoil locally on short notice. I've heard mention of OEM Honda and Toyota products. I was thinking of just going with Mobil1 unless there's a better option. I probably just need to do some searching in the BITOG forum.

I've only found the Mobil1 stuff at Walmart. The Autozones and O'Reilly's around here don't have any 0-20. I Know you can't go wrong with the OEM Honda oils. I can't remember if it was Mobil or Castrol that was supplying Honda with their oil, I haven't worked for them for about a year now and I know they switched right around the time I left. The Hondas run that oil for 7500+ miles with no issues so it should be more than fine for our 2s since our change is 5 months/5000, or at least that's what I've been changing mine at.

MOBIL1 deal right now at advance. 5 quarts 0w-20 synthetic, mobil1 filter for 32.99. O'reiley's has their brand readily available for 4.xx (close to 5 bucks) a bottle and I have used it a few times. Seems that my fresh oil free revving feeling goes away pretty quick with that oil BUT I havent used the mobil1 yet to compare ... bought it though, just need to do an oil change this weekend.

I've always used the Mobil 1 0W-20. I got it at Walmart until I discovered that a local chain (Fleet Farm) also carried it, and their stores don't make me feel ishy like Walmart does.

I just did my fourth oil change, and sent off a sample to Blackstone for analysis. I'll post up the results when I get them back.

I've always used the 5 w20 mobile 1, with great results. I too have seen the 0w20 at Wally world. The Honda oem oil is mobile

I've always used the Mobil 1 0W-20. I got it at Walmart until I discovered that a local chain (Fleet Farm) also carried it, and their stores don't make me feel ishy like Walmart does.

I just did my fourth oil change, and sent off a sample to Blackstone for analysis. I'll post up the results when I get them back.

Excellent!

I can't recall what my Mazda dealer said they used for our cars but it was "name brand". Pretty sure it was some offshoot of Castrol.

The 0w20 Mazda branded stuff is the real deal. It's a rebranded oil of some sort, and other OEMs have also used the same formulation (Toyota, Honda). A few people on bobistheoilguy did tests on various 0w20 oils, and they found that the Mobil 1 wasn't as good as the OEM stuff.

A few people on bobistheoilguy did tests on various 0w20 oils, and they found that the Mobil 1 wasn't as good as the OEM stuff.
And that is why BMW no longer uses Mobil1 oils and switched to Castrol. Mobil1 breaks down over 6000RPM, not that that's a big issue with our 2s since redline is just above 6k, but when the BMW M cars see just over 8k, it becomes a problem.

Good. I didn't want to be the only one to comment negatively on Mobil 1.

I ran M1 for a while on previous cars until I installed magnetic drain plugs and saw the metallic deposits. Switched to Castrol and the volume of deposits dropped considerably.

Then I started reading about folks having less than satisfactory results with Mobil 1 in various cars (including low rpm Chebbies).

John

Mobil 1 has changed up their award winning formula multiple times over the years for the worse. Mobil 1 is now known for sheering in moderately stressed situations.

For the Mazda2, it's getting 0w20 provided by Mazda for the rest of it's life. The Miata has been getting 15w40 Rotella T6, and will get T6 when I put in a new VVT engine.

Good to know! I'd been using Rotella on my subies and German Castrol on the miata. I've been trying to get registered on BITOG
for two days now and its not working for some reason. Guess I'll stick with OEM then on my 2 and the wife's 5.

FWIW I noticed more oil consumption on the subies when using mobil1 and thats why I switched (and I noticed all the good reviews for
the rotella and euro castrol).

Good. I didn't want to be the only one to comment negatively on Mobil 1.

I ran M1 for a while on previous cars until I installed magnetic drain plugs and saw the metallic deposits. Switched to Castrol and the volume of deposits dropped considerably.

Then I started reading about folks having less than satisfactory results with Mobil 1 in various cars (including low rpm Chebbies).

John

Speaking of those, are magnetic drain plugs avail for the 2 yet?

My local mazda parts counter is selling the 0w-20 for $5.50/qt. Much cheaper than I was expecting. I wonder how penzoil 0w-20 would compare for quality.

+1 on the drain plug...I'd definately want one if available. I'd be surprised if the 2 drain plug was any different from other cars that have available magnetic plugs. Just need to measure diameter and thread pattern.

Pep Boys has a variety of magnetic drain plugs in metric sizes.

You'll probably need to measure the OEM drain plug threads. I keep forgetting to do so when changing my oil. Gettin' old.

John

As promised, here's the results from Blackstone.

A little background: I bought my 2 new, almost exactly a year ago, with 19 miles on the odometer. Changed the oil with the odometer at 2k, 5k, 10k and most recently at just past 15k, each time with Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-20 and an OEM Mazda filter. The sample I sent to Blackstone was the oil run between the 10k-15k interval.

MAZDA2-052612.png

Thanks for posting that analysis! I may send in a sample from my 5k mi change with the OEM oil/filter and see what they think. Good to know Mobil1 works well on these motors and the OEM filters are doing a good job. Since the OEM stuff runs only about a dollar more than mobil1 per oil change (when bought by the case), I may stick with it. Though it sure is easy to pick up a jug of mobil1 when at wal-mart for other random stuff.

Back