Protege5 - How many miles have you gone before changing the timing belt?

I have 30K miles on mine, but it's at 6 years. So by the book it is due. But guess I'm not in a hurry. Though since IL sees pretty cold, that's another reason they want you to change it.

Ok here is the next question, when should I change my second timing belt? I changed the original at 105k and am at 172k now. Should I wait until 210k to stay with the 105k interval or should the frequency of changing the belt decrease as the car ages?

Here's what the FSM says about timing belt replacement (and other maintenance)

timingbelt1_zpsa90bda3a.png

timingbelt12_zps584d49b3.png

timingbelt123_zps673c2634.png

I like Chile's maintenance schedule,.. it covers a lot more things that should be considered for better maintenance.

chilemaintainence_zps81a1cf3c.png

chilemaintainence2_zpse58030db.png

100,000 K's we do ours here in Aus, that's like 62000 miles in your old non metric country, it's weird how you guys are recommended to do it at 100,000 miles and we do ours at 100,00 K, obviously its just a rough guideline.

I don't get why Puerto Rico is supposed to change their oil every 3,000 miles but the Dominican Republic, just 50 miles away, is fine with oil changes every 5,000 miles ???

It must be something political ???

We bought a 2003 Protege5 in October 2013 with ~83,000 miles on it.

While having work done on it, including a new valve cover gasket, the shop called me to come back down and talk about the timing belt. He took me to the car, said it didn't look bad, found "Japan" on it so it was likely the original.

But, since things were opened up I agreed to have a new one put in.

hey what about the interval for the pulleys and water pump? My tensioner has 230K miles on it.

I guess they don't consider it regular maintenance ?? My tensioner was pretty wobbly at 100k miles,... I'm glad I ordered the complete T-belt kit.

I did my water pump too but never heard of replacing pulleys.

Might as well join in. My MP5 first timing belt change was 73,000 miles back in 2007. It's already at 152,000 miles now. Should it be changed or wait? Open to suggestions. I drive easy and slow.

My t-belt just busted last week. Today the mechanic quoted me $1300 to fix it he mentioned the possibility of having to rebuild the heads...not sure if they are damaged since the car was perfectly fine before the belt busted...Car has 198k miles with original belt. Question now is, is it even worth fixing now or would you guys be interested in some parts if i decide to not fix it...

Since this topic has been brought up... I'm at 128k kms which is about 80k miles. I figured I should get it done as soon as possible, but what I was wondering is there any warning signs/sounds that the timing belt will make before it goes? What's the average price you guys see to get it done by a shop? I blew up a VW VR6 a while back due to a timing chain..don't wanna do that again (pissed)

NigelC, some in the forum go up to 112k miles then change. Others change it a lot early than that. My suggestion is change it already. You don't want to push to limits, that is if you're driving it hard. I had a quote from Bucky's auto service. They can do it for $495 parts and labor included. If you're going to the dealer, it'll definitely be expensive.

Since this topic has been brought up... I'm at 128k kms which is about 80k miles. I figured I should get it done as soon as possible, but what I was wondering is there any warning signs/sounds that the timing belt will make before it goes? What's the average price you guys see to get it done by a shop? I blew up a VW VR6 a while back due to a timing chain..don't wanna do that again (pissed)

I blew up a VW VR6 a while back due to a timing chain..don't wanna do that again (pissed)

A VW VR6 is an interference engine. The damage caused by a broken timing chain/belt in an interference engine could be (much) more severe than with a broken timing belt scenario in your Protege5 which does not have an interference engine. Also, a lot of folks on this list have pushed the timing belts on their Protege5 past the 105,000 mile mark without issue. Note that I'm not taking the belt's age or into account here (or other things like climate and whether the vehicle is garaged or not). Extreme weather can shorten the life of your car's parts, of course.

Just did mine last weekend. At 102k miles. Wasn't a bad job. Took me 6 hours and that was taking my time. Replaced all the belts and water pump while I was in there. A long time ago I had a g2 integra and the timing belt snapped while I was on a date. Saturday night, no one was around. My mom ended up pi king me up. I still got laid that night, but it was embarrassing. Dont risk it, change that s***...

148k on mine, unsure if it's the original belt or not. I bought it with about 130k and I haven't changed it yet, not sure if the PO did. I need to pull the valve cover off anyway this week to replace the gasket, so I plan on checking the condition of it then.

I just replaced mine. Started in November, finished on February 5th (also drive a 1991 Nissan 300ZX, my mission spare). My P5 had 117,898. The original belt could have easily gone 10 ~ 20k miles longer. All the teeth were still intact, no broken or frayed threads, even the white part number graphics, etc were still there. If I didn't know better, I'd swear somebody did a timing belt R2 to the car before I bought it, with 53k on the odometer. CarFax gives no indication though.

Back