Protege5 - How many miles have you gone before changing the timing belt?

That's not to say they weren't already bent from the factory. We all know how awesome this engine is... (deadhorse

Just changed mine at 130K (Km) and it was cracked all the wayaround, still had all the teeth in good shape. Was changing the head gasket so no brainer. Belt saw summer temps in the high 30's to winter lows of -30's (C). If the car was running I would have waited for the man interval. I'll try and remember to post a pic before i chuck it.

I actually have 160,000 on my car and have not changed it yet. Needless to say, I am looking into it right now ; )

Do you know if yours has been replaced before? I know all of the maintenance on my car from 65k miles but as good of shape as it was in I'm pretty sure it had been done before 65k

I'm just shy of 161K and AFAIK on the original belt. Pretty sure that the PO didn't replace it prior to trading it in with 67K on the odometer.

Changed mine at 99000km along with the water pump. I had this work done the day after I bought it this past March. It needed a water pump because it was leaking so got it all done.

Mine just broke at 147000 miles doing 60MPH. Had checked it ln the fall and looked in good condition. This is the original belt. Had it towed to a local shop. Of course they insisted it was a interfering engine and that I might need to replace the engine. I informed them it wasn't and had them change the belt and water pump. It runs as good as new now.

I may be pushing this to it's limit- at 189,296 miles right now, bought the car with 47,000 miles so very unlikely OP changed it. But won't go much farther.

163k (miles) so far here. Its going to outlast the car because it will be scrapped in the next 2-3 mths.

I changed it when the car was around 65,000 miles. The second time, I changed it when the car was around 180,000 miles.

Just broke the original belt at 188,000 miles. Bent two valves; car's in the shop for repairs.
Why didn't we change it? Serious illness in the family, then two years of rehab and huge medical bills. Just didn't think of it. But if you're wondering how far they'll go, that's about it.

I'm at 96k miles on my MT '03 in Dallas, Texas and on the fence about getting the timing belt replaced any time soon. It can get rather hot down here, but the car is garaged at work and home, and I while I drive spiritedly, I'm no maniac. I've got a very lightly leaking valve cover gasket, so that may force my hand. So far, I've replaced one door lock actuator and coils/spark plug wires after a flashing CEL for a P0300 code. That's it.

I wonder if there's much difference between wear and tear with manual vs. auto transmissions on the timing belt (and other parts as well). I could imagine an auto being gentler on the engine. That's in addition to the auto *driver* being gentler on the engine. :)

Back