2017~2024 Product sucks

Only thing I can knock Toyota on is the lack of sound deadening/insulation. My 2019 RAV4 XLE Premium (gas) has zero sound deadening material much like my 2013 CX-5. I*ll remedy that soon with some lining in the doors and trunk, but just wanted to share as a heads up. Mazda has Toyota beat with sound comfort (especially by adding acoustic glass) but other than that I agree with your sentiments on the upcoming PHEV RAV4.

Seriously? That's a huge fail. #1 thing I hated about my 2015 cx5.

I paid 30 grand for this thing. It has 13k of miles. Door locks are whining the wheel is making a clicking noise. No idea whts that about. Recorded the sounds on iphone summarly dismssed. Yea need a new dealer but I should not have to pay 30 grand for a product that has got all these problems. I paid the price thinking it would be a dependable product. I dont have time to chase all over town to get my car fixed after 13 thousand miles.

Product sucks next time Ill go with toyota or Nissan. If you want dependability this is not for you. Unless you are cool with looking for mechanics.

Recording sounds (not a conversation, sounds) doesn't prove s***. You need a video.
If the steering wheel is clicking (the real problem you mentioned), record a video or reproduce the problem, get it fixed under warranty from a qualified dealer.

Noisy... door locks?!?! Come on man.
3 years in I have yet to have a single issue with my 16.

seems like he was an advocate for mazda and some mis-step happened and now he's all fed up...
still a great car..we have 3 in the family and plan on upgrading as new models are introduced.

Only thing I can knock Toyota on is the lack of sound deadening/insulation. My 2019 RAV4 XLE Premium (gas) has zero sound deadening material much like my 2013 CX-5. Ill remedy that soon with some lining in the doors and trunk, but just wanted to share as a heads up. Mazda has Toyota beat with sound comfort (especially by adding acoustic glass) but other than that I agree with your sentiments on the upcoming PHEV RAV4.
I saw the panel gap between the hood and front quarter on the new rav4. It was atrocious. Felt like the car was in an accident

Seriously? That's a huge fail. #1 thing I hated about my 2015 cx5.

Definitely. Im going to add sound deadening to mine soon. People are reporting good results by doing it on their own but it sucks having to do that on a 2019+ $30k+car. Toyota builds a solid car but the lack of sound insulation is an obvious cost cutting measure. I doubt theyll add acoustic glass to the Prime so thats something itll always be lacking down the road.

Another goofy feature missing on my 19 XLE Premium: footwell and storage tray lights. The wiring is there but not the actual lights that come on the higher trims. Spent $45 and installed them. Another obvious cost cutting measure. Sincerely hoping the Prime doesnt cut little corners like that.

I saw the panel gap between the hood and front quarter on the new rav4. It was atrocious. Felt like the car was in an accident

Whats even goofier is the gap between the headlights and the hood. The hybrid has some rubber trim on the headlight to seal that large gap, but owners have found its completely missing on the gas versions. Nobody knows why its not there either besides it being another cost cutting measure. They skimped on the US models: The EU versions have the rubber trim there on both gas and hybrids.

I paid 30 grand for this thing. It has 13k of miles. Door locks are whining the wheel is making a clicking noise. No idea whts that about. Recorded the sounds on iphone summarly dismssed. Yea need a new dealer but I should not have to pay 30 grand for a product that has got all these problems. I paid the price thinking it would be a dependable product. I dont have time to chase all over town to get my car fixed after 13 thousand miles.

Product sucks next time Ill go with toyota or Nissan. If you want dependability this is not for you. Unless you are cool with looking for mechanics.

How'd you get 48 posts and never hear about the door locks whining? They all seem to do it. It is not harmful and they don't break because of it. I have no idea what the clicking in the steering column is, but I'll bet it is just a rubbing wire. I paid $29k for mine and the D@#n thing just keeps wearing out tires!!! 48k miles and already on my second set! I think I'll burn it down in the driveway! And don't EVEN mention that POS Blose audio!!!

Last edited:

I'm guessing you've got the itch for a new car.

No need to rationalize with irresolvable "problems".

Scratch that itch -- get something new!

My Suggestion: Get a short-term lease for your next new car.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you've got the itch for a new car.

No need to rationalize with irresolvable "problems".

Scratch that itch -- get something new!

My Suggestion: Get a short-term lease for your next new car.

The problem with doing a bunch of short term (24 month) leases is the tax bill can be a big hit if you're paying sales tax on the full purchase price as in many states, plus acquisition fee which is usually around $600, and other fees.

I wouldn't do one with less than 15k/yr. If I put low miles on the car, I may buy it out of the lease and resell it. Or keep it if it proves reliable.

I agree - this is blown out of proportion. Every car will have little issues. Also, if OP would seriously consider buying a Toyota then why buy a Mazda at all. They appeal to 2 very different types of consumers in my opinion.

Question though - some people mentioned they actually were able to get cooperation from Mazda US. I'm from Canada so maybe things are different, but how did you guys successfully get in touch with Corporate? I've tried and never got any responses.

I agree - this is blown out of proportion. Every car will have little issues. Also, if OP would seriously consider buying a Toyota then why buy a Mazda at all. They appeal to 2 very different types of consumers in my opinion.

Question though - some people mentioned they actually were able to get cooperation from Mazda US. I'm from Canada so maybe things are different, but how did you guys successfully get in touch with Corporate? I've tried and never got any responses.

I've contacted Mazda USA three different ways:

The first time was via old fashioned letter. I expressed my concerns and provided contact information including my phone number. A had a representative call me a couple days later to work out my situation. It is important to note that I was able to receive his work contact information for direct follow up via phone, email, or letter. Any follow up questions I just contacted him directly.

The second time I had a quick question and I called the general number. Had to wait a bit, but I spoke with a live person who answered my question. No additional contact information was provided.

The third time I emailed Mazda through the Contact Us site. Took a couple days for a reply but I got my question answered and he provided me with a direct email address should I have any additional questions.

Hopefully you'll get the same kind of service through Canada. If you need it here is there info:

https://www.mazda.ca/en/about/contact-us/

When people in the US contacting Mazda Corporate, they actually contact Mazda North American Operations in Irvine, California. Youre in Canada, you need to contact Mazda Canada in Richmond Hill, ON. If you call them, therell be a live person answering your phone.

I think he didn't get good service/respect from the dealer, and he responded by bashing the product on a site where a lot of people would see it to try to slow down sales.

I think he didn't get good service/respect from the dealer, and he responded by bashing the product on a site where a lot of people would see it to try to slow down sales.

I took it with a grain of salt as though it were an Amazon review. If he really wanted to blast the dealer specifically, there are better local to him places to do that.

Back