2017~2024 Product sucks

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2017
I paid 30 grand for this thing. It has 13k of miles. Door locks are whining the wheel is making a clicking noise. No idea whts that about. Recorded the sounds on iphone summarly dismssed. Yea need a new dealer but I should not have to pay 30 grand for a product that has got all these problems. I paid the price thinking it would be a dependable product. I dont have time to chase all over town to get my car fixed after 13 thousand miles.

Product sucks next time Ill go with toyota or Nissan. If you want dependability this is not for you. Unless you are cool with looking for mechanics.

Bought it brand spanking new with 10 miles on it what a peice of garbage. Have to go chasing all over to figure out how to fix it.

Wow, your car has some issues so the product sucks? Two strange noises and you are at your wits end? Take it to the dealer and let them hear the issues. If they cannot diagnose it try another. Failing that, contact Mazda US.

By Phone

M-F, 5:00am - 6:00pm PST
Sat., 7:00am - 3:00pm PST

(800) 222*5500

I can understand the frustration on such a new item with low usage. On the plus side it seems the vehicle is still drive-able so you are not stranded. ANY product can have failures or rattles that is why there are repair facilities by the manufacture (dealers). I would suggest a deep breath, you bought a vehicle to 1st be a tool (provide a function) in your life, 2nd to enjoy and feel good about. The more you get worked up on these items, the more you will start to despise and loath your purchase decision -- it is just a bad path.

As others have indicated try again at the dealer for the concerns, then rise your concerns with the manufacture directly.

My advice is to clean your CX up really well and then take it to your nearest Toyota or Nissan dealer and see how much they will give you in trade.

I too, can relate to the noises, clicks, and rattles in my 2017. It is enough to drive oneself insane if you focus on them.

If I may, a couple of tips I've learned a long the way:

1) The door locks (actuator) being noisy is actually very common among all trims and model years. It's a Mazda quirk. I have two CX-5s and it happens to both on occasion. I just ignore it since it isn't mission critical and isn't a symptom of a failure.

2) CX5_Driver hit the nail on the head - ...I would suggest a deep breath, you bought a vehicle to 1st be a tool (provide a function) in your life, 2nd to enjoy and feel good about. The more you get worked up on these items, the more you will start to despise and loath your purchase decision -- it is just a bad path. The engine and parts you depend on are actually extremely reliable to get you from point A to point B. It will get you there for many, many miles to come.

3) My 2017 had a squeak/rattle that drove me nuts when I accelerated. Took the dealer 3 tries and then escalated to Mazda NA. During this time I was very well taken care of from the dealer, Mazda NA, and all parties involved. I expected to go to war and instead I got the Ritz. Haha. My point being is that while I completely understand your frustration, open communication lines with Mazda and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I sure was. So much so that I will be trading my 2017 in for a 2020 when they arrive.

4) It is easy to convince oneself that with the 2017+ Mazda is on par with a luxury brand. With a luxury brand comes certain expectations like a certain level of noise, vibration, and harshness. However, Mazda is not quiet there yet. They are refining their vehicles, but we bought in at the first year of the redesign. There were still a few gremlins to work out when it comes to NVH but I feel it comes with the territory of being an early adopter.

5) Last tip: Perhaps you would enjoy your CX 5 more if you drowned out the noise via your favorite music or books? I hear Apple Carplay or Android Auto really make a difference with the infotainment.

Don't give up yet - you have options to help enjoy your CX 5. If not, hey you can always trade it in toward a vehicle you prefer more. From what I gather they are holding their value pretty well.

My advice is to clean your CX up really well and then take it to your nearest Toyota or Nissan dealer and see how much they will give you in trade.

The only vehicle I'm considering for a trade is the RAV4 Prime, which as a 2021 model, who knows when will drop? Nothing else even comes close to being appealing.

I too, can relate to the noises, clicks, and rattles in my 2017. It is enough to drive oneself insane if you focus on them.

If I may, a couple of tips I've learned a long the way:

1) The door locks (actuator) being noisy is actually very common among all trims and model years. It's a Mazda quirk. I have two CX-5s and it happens to both on occasion. I just ignore it since it isn't mission critical and isn't a symptom of a failure.
I have yet to have one FAIL though, as you note.
2) CX5_Driver hit the nail on the head - ...I would suggest a deep breath, you bought a vehicle to 1st be a tool (provide a function) in your life, 2nd to enjoy and feel good about. The more you get worked up on these items, the more you will start to despise and loath your purchase decision -- it is just a bad path. The engine and parts you depend on are actually extremely reliable to get you from point A to point B. It will get you there for many, many miles to come.
My $75k Z06 would creak when angling up drive-ways. Normal. Sometimes a mechanical thing with thousands of parts to make a whole...makes a noise. Take it to the dealer and do an inspec.
3) My 2017 had a squeak/rattle that drove me nuts when I accelerated. Took the dealer 3 tries and then escalated to Mazda NA. During this time I was very well taken care of from the dealer, Mazda NA, and all parties involved. I expected to go to war and instead I got the Ritz. Haha. My point being is that while I completely understand your frustration, open communication lines with Mazda and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I sure was. So much so that I will be trading my 2017 in for a 2020 when they arrive.
That's good. I had to go to war with Nissan NA over rotors warping every 500mi. Have fun with Nissan, OP...
4) It is easy to convince oneself that with the 2017+ Mazda is on par with a luxury brand. With a luxury brand comes certain expectations like a certain level of noise, vibration, and harshness. However, Mazda is not quiet there yet. They are refining their vehicles, but we bought in at the first year of the redesign. There were still a few gremlins to work out when it comes to NVH but I feel it comes with the territory of being an early adopter.
My neighbor's AMG43 GLC has more rattles and creaks than my CX5 GT-R. Legit less refined.
5) Last tip: Perhaps you would enjoy your CX 5 more if you drowned out the noise via your favorite music or books? I hear Apple Carplay or Android Auto really make a difference with the infotainment.
I did this once in an older car that drank oil, at my father and mechanic's recommendation. Didn't hear the racket until I spun a rod/main bearing. I reminded t hem of their advice with the stereo, lol.
Don't give up yet - you have options to help enjoy your CX 5. If not, hey you can always trade it in toward a vehicle you prefer more. From what I gather they are holding their value pretty well.

I hope the 2017+ hold value well. I do not feel that my 2015 did.

I paid 30 grand for this thing. It has 13k of miles. Door locks are whining the wheel is making a clicking noise. No idea whts that about. Recorded the sounds on iphone summarly dismssed. Yea need a new dealer but I should not have to pay 30 grand for a product that has got all these problems. I paid the price thinking it would be a dependable product. I dont have time to chase all over town to get my car fixed after 13 thousand miles.

I can't take this post seriously at all. All what problems? I am not hearing that your transmission busted, or that you blew an engine or your diff blew up. The locks are fine, as stated before Mazda lock actuators are just noisy. This sounds like something you would have heard in a test drive before buying. Your wheel makes noise. Ok, why did you not take it in during warranty?

Hardly a cause to be over-dramatic about it and call it an "undependable product". Really, 2 noises, 1 being perfectly normal and it's an "unreliable sucky product".

Product sucks next time Ill go with toyota or Nissan.

Nissan? That can't be taken seriously when you consider their pieces of s*** transmissions in modern Nissans. Toyota is boring, but they are reliable, I'll give you that.

If you want dependability this is not for you. Unless you are cool with looking for mechanics.

Look for what? This is what warranties are for. Did you ever make use of it? Sounds like not. Also, see above. Literally none of your "issues" has anything to do with the dependability of the car.

Not sure if you're trolling or just venting.... if the latter you must realize the kind of reception you'll get on a forum dedicated to Mazda enthusiasm. If nothing else posts like these help me realize I'm not as picky and anal as I think I am sometimes.

If you're seriously stressing about this I would just calm down and try to look at the situation logically. The whining noise in the door lock is coming from the actuators. If you hate random noises then yes this is a little triggering, but I can tell you that this is *very* common even on new vehicles and is not unique to Mazda. The last 3 new cars I have owned, all different brands, have all had at least one squeaking door lock actuator. It's just a little sound it makes when it operates, definitely not worth ripping into the door to replace. You'll likely have a more persistent rattle when the work is done for your trouble.

As for the clicking in the wheel. I'm not being sarcastic here, but have you seriously considered that it's just a rock stuck in your tire tread? I bet there's at least a 50/50 chance this is the source of the noise. The Gen2 CX-5 is quiet and refined enough now that little sounds like that become noticeable when driving. The chances of this being a wheel bearing or suspension issue at this mileage is very low. Not impossible of course, but if you really believe that's the case then press your dealer to look into it.

A machine made of thousands of different parts is not going to be 100% perfect in every possible way. It's just not realistic to expect that. The fact that most of them are 99.9% right is a testament to modern engineering and manufacturing.

OP is probably just venting but expectations of a perfect car or any other product are just not realistic.

And regarding the locks. I am actually having problems with my lock actuators, I'll give you that, but that's after almost 7 years of owning the car. Those problems being that the doors other than the driver door and including the rear liftgate aren't always unlocking when they should be.

They have always been noisy since new though, that's just their style and not at all indicative of a problem.

But I can say after almost 7 years I've only had 3 issues. The tensioner, the switch for the gated style shifters early CX-5s like mine have, and now the lock actuators. All in all a vast improvement over the problematic Jeep I used to drive, but still got near 300k miles out of.

I don't know how much the actuators will cost to fix, but for the rest, that's under $500 in the first 7 years of ownership. I feel pretty good about that.

Last edited:
OP is probably just venting but expectations of a perfect car or any other product are just not realistic.
He has never dealt with dealers in US before. I can see how this will end, Mazda NA will ask him to take his car to 2 dealers and those dealers in turn will make him come in 3 or 4 times since this is warranty work. After which they may make the problem worse for him. I am actually sad that I took my EPB which had an issue to a Mazda dealer. Now my CX5 does not auto disengage the EPB while driving and I am living with it which is easier than going to a dealer.

Try to keep calm and collected. And try to be non combative at the dealership. I know that techs at some dealerships can be hard headed and seemingly unhelpful and in retaliation you call the product they sell pieces of s***. It's not Mazda and the car, it is that dealership. They don't care if you don't buy another Mazda, and most likely those same workers will move on and work for Nissan or some other brand dealership. About the locks, I just hear the click of the solenoids. Is that what you mean by whining noise? And like others said, look for a rock in the wheel or stuck somewhere in the brake area.

An example of me at a dealer for work with my old car. Early on, the AC wasn't blowing very cold air. When I brought it to the dealership and told them, the first thing they told me was that maybe I was expecting the AC to be colder, or cool the car faster than what is spec. I just said "It's possible" and kept cheerful. I really wanted to say "Do you really think that I'm that dumb?". Techs, like anyone, don't want an amateur (unpaid mechanic) to say to them "No you are WRONG!" So they checked it, found a problem and fixed it. They felt good for finding and successfully fixing the problem, I felt good for getting it fixed for free under the warranty. If I was snotty maybe they would have 'spit in my dinner' sort of thing. If they flat out won't fix it, like the OP with the defective calipers, then get firmer with them.

An example of me at a dealer for work with my old car. Early on, the AC wasn't blowing very cold air. When I brought it to the dealership and told them, the first thing they told me was that maybe I was expecting the AC to be colder, or cool the car faster than what is spec. I just said "It's possible" and kept cheerful. I really wanted to say "Do you really think that I'm that dumb?". Techs, like anyone, don't want an amateur (unpaid mechanic) to say to them "No you are WRONG!" So they checked it, found a problem and fixed it. They felt good for finding and successfully fixing the problem, I felt good for getting it fixed for free under the warranty. If I was snotty maybe they would have 'spit in my dinner' sort of thing. If they flat out won't fix it, like the OP with the defective calipers, then get firmer with them.

Excellent post! If you want to be treated with respect, treat others that way. A pleasant demeanor goes a long way when issues are raised.

By the way, Car & Driver included the CX5 in its 10 BEST VEHICLES issue.

The only vehicle I'm considering for a trade is the RAV4 Prime, which as a 2021 model, who knows when will drop? Nothing else even comes close to being appealing.

Only thing I can knock Toyota on is the lack of sound deadening/insulation. My 2019 RAV4 XLE Premium (gas) has zero sound deadening material much like my 2013 CX-5. Ill remedy that soon with some lining in the doors and trunk, but just wanted to share as a heads up. Mazda has Toyota beat with sound comfort (especially by adding acoustic glass) but other than that I agree with your sentiments on the upcoming PHEV RAV4.

Back