Power Tailgate on CX-5

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring Zeal Red/Moonroof pkg
We love our family's 13' CX-5 Touring. The only complain I would have is it was not offered with power tailgate. Power tailgate is not normally an option for entry level crossovers (although it is available to some loaded entry level crossover such as Rav4 now). So I have been seeing people in China installing those power tailgates to our CX-5 since late 2015. I was hesitated because those gate closed by slamming the door in position and the power shaft is very noisy. Not until mid 2016, I found a Taiwan company was working to improve these cheapo power tailgate conversion kit to a much better quality product. They called this 2nd gen power tailgate which features integration to OEM remote control, auto stop when there is obstruction, adjustable open height, quiet power shaft, built-in control button to replace the open handle, and the most important thing is the slow close just like OEM luxury cars. The slow close requires that the power shaft to be much more powerful to support the weight of the trunk without slamming in position. This product is exactly what I am looking for especially I have two babies and whole brunch of recycle bags with me all the time. Thus, it makes my wife happy!(lol2).

I felt ok to take the risk because I do trust the quality of Taiwanese product based on years of experience. The manufacture guaranteed this kit will work on my USDM CX-5. The installation is kind of difficult because you will need a variety of tools to make your life easier, tons of patience, and the access for many pieces are tiny which cut my hand badly. Anyhow, I was able to complete the installation. I didn't expect a huge interest in this product as it is pretty pricey. However, if you guys are seriously interested, I can help to see if we can do a group buy and help with the installation since the instruction is not super clear.

Time for the video!

Last edited:
Are you using the stock remote or did you switch to the one with the trunk release button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using the stock remote. to open and close. You can also use the trunk button and there is a built-in button to replace the open handle inside the trunk.

I don't really care for this feature, but it would be a nice project to do, and with it, I would be more unique. (rolleyes)

I see little incentive for me since our CX5 tail gate is fairly small and light compared to the big 9 passenger SUVs. Just raises the cost and it seems to be a frequent problem area with powered units. Ed

Back