P0660 P2009 P0171 Protege5 Codes

Hey if you’re still there, my p5 will have a rough or fluctuating idle sometimes and very randomly. Could that be caused by the solenoids?
Yup...If your solenoids get stuck, they will route your intake air improperly and it won't idle properly.

It could be something else, but faulty solenoids could definitely mess up your idle.

Yup...If your solenoids get stuck, they will route your intake air improperly and it won't idle properly.

It could be something else, but faulty solenoids could definitely mess up your idle.
YUP - What PCB said.
Alright thanks, Solenoids coming on Wednesday.
You won't regret replacing them.

____

Also - Take a look at the two videos below.

One shows about manually moving (and lubing-I sprayed white lithium grease) on the vacuum rod that goes into the intake manifold.

The other shows about testing the solenoids but with 155K on my son's P5, I decided to replace them (because they are cheap and car will be 500 miles away when done) and they were throwing those typical codes (that went away with new solenoids installed).

I'll keep the old ones and test them once I get a hand held vacuum tester before junking any bad ones.

You Tube Video - Solenoid Valve - Vacuum Air Intake Actuator Rod - Rough Idle

You tube video - Solenoid Testing

Well? Success?
Im swapping them right now, Somebody said there are 3, but the 3rd one all the way to the right seems to be a different type of solenoid. It has a metal piece where the tube goes on instead of plastic like the other two with the brown and white plugs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 312
Im swapping them right now, Somebody said there are 3, but the 3rd one all the way to the right seems to be a different type of solenoid. It has a metal piece where the tube goes on instead of plastic like the other two with the brown and white plugs.
They may still be different solenoids, but I believe they all have that same metal piece (vacuum nozzle) on that end, and the other two have it capped off. If I recall correctly, those caps can be removed and put onto the other side if necessary.

They may still be different solenoids, but I believe they all have that same metal piece (vacuum nozzle) on that end, and the other two have it capped off. If I recall correctly, those caps can be removed and put onto the other side if necessary.
these are the 3 that I took out. im sure about the green and white ones, but is this brown one thats closest to the camera part of the intake manifold?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 308
these are the 3 that I took out. im sure about the green and white ones, but is this brown one thats closest to the camera part of the intake manifold?
I also have this random tube here that Im not sure if I accidentally pulled it out and it goes on that little metal piece or if it was never put into anything in the first place

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 300
I couldn't tell you for that third one. I've never bothered with it and quite frankly didn't even remember that it was there. Unless someone else pops in with other advise, I'd say go ahead and clear your CEL codes and see if this fixes the problem.

I also have this random tube here that Im not sure if I accidentally pulled it out and it goes on that little metal piece or if it was never put into anything in the first place
As a general rule, you're not really supposed to have random open ended tubes that aren't connected to anything. Same with wires, or plugs, or loose bolts or nuts. So yes, that tube should probably go onto the nipple sticking up off the intake. My brother just bought a Protege that has a check engine light on for that hose being cracked, and it makes a hissing vacuum leak sound when it's loose/open.

As a general rule, you're not really supposed to have random open ended tubes that aren't connected to anything. Same with wires, or plugs, or loose bolts or nuts. So yes, that tube should probably go onto the nipple sticking up off the intake. My brother just bought a Protege that has a check engine light on for that hose being cracked, and it makes a hissing vacuum leak sound when it's loose/open.
yea I assumed its supposes to go somewhwre I just dont know if it was before I started messing with stuff. It doesnt go on the “nipple” on the intake very tightly. It seems like it would definately slide off.

yea I assumed its supposes to go somewhwre I just dont know if it was before I started messing with stuff. It doesnt go on the “nipple” on the intake very tightly. It seems like it would definately slide off.
Hmm. Just guessing here...maybe if there is enough slack in the line, you could cut a little bit of the stretched end off and try to slide the newly cut tube onto the nipple? Worst case scenario is that you just replace that piece of tubing, if you can see where it connects to on the other side.

Hmm. Just guessing here...maybe if there is enough slack in the line, you could cut a little bit of the stretched end off and try to slide the newly cut tube onto the nipple? Worst case scenario is that you just replace that piece of tubing, if you can see where it connects to on the other side.
there is a ton of slack so yea I could do that

Im trying to find a clear picture of the engine bay to follow that tube, but its hard to find I guess
From what i see on pictures the way this tube is managed, it goes over the red engine stabilizer, but it doesnt do that in any of the pictures. Seems like someone may have replaced it

Im trying to find a clear picture of the engine bay to follow that tube, but its hard to find I guess
I'll take a look at how it runs on mine when I'm home tonight, if you don't get it figured out by then.

Fiddling with things under the hood and taking pictures seems a little suspicious in the parking lot of an office building 😂

I'll take a look at how it runs on mine when I'm home tonight, if you don't get it figured out by then.

Fiddling with things under the hood and taking pictures seems a little suspicious in the parking lot of an office building 😂
hahaha yea I guess so. this could be a dumb question but would a rubber band or zip tie around the tube on the bottem of the broze nipple thing be a bad idea?

hahaha yea I guess so. this could be a dumb question but would a rubber band or zip tie around the tube on the bottem of the broze nipple thing be a bad idea?
this is how the tube looks right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 305
Back