p0172 code sputter problem

Gurt1234

:
2003 Mazdaspeed protege
Please Help a fellow msp owner out, have a problem i need advice on asap.
threw a check engine light for the p1072 code for rich air fuels bank 1. Now when i accelerate and go past vaccum it's like hitting a brick wall and sputters. Could be the 02 sensor in the exhaust mani but it has been replaced before. vac lines are fine no leaks, egr has been cleaned, could be maf i guess it's been cleaned often but i don't know if it needs to be replaced?? Spark plugs are new, have a 626 coil pack with low miles on it, been running a walboro fuel pump and had no issues for many miles before. Any suggestions as to what could be going on?

By the way I might add that I just got finished with a silvia turbo installment. Peaks at 11 psi. NOT good. used the same atp turbo wastegate set for 6psi that worked fine/didn't overboost with my stock turbo before it went out. Could possibly have it on wrong? or maybe the flap is partially stuck open and is why I am peaking at 10-11 psi. This turbo spools mad quick compared to the stock one, practically at idol regardless. I really don't want to take it to a shop when it could be something minor

sounds like youre hitting boost cut, when the ecu sees too much boost it cuts fuel for a second. i have that a lot since im running a larger turbo with no engine management at the moment. your best bet is to pick up some sort of piggyback device like the SSAFC and tuning the car, youll get some horsepower out of it, as well as getting rid of your problems

p.s. i have the same engine code, and im pretty sure its caused by the boost cut.

I have the ssafc v1. Always worked well for me as far as controlling the air/fuels. I just really don't know how to tell if it's a fuel issue, turbo issue, or something minute as a sensor. Since i threw the c/e light for air fuels bank 1 I am replacing the 02 in the exhaust mani first. If that doesn't work I can replace my maf but I just really do not want to go and frantically replace stuff you know

I searched an searched for details on this code but I cannot find much. I've had other msp buddies who have had this happen and changed the spark plugs, or the maf and it got rid of it. But hmm, it's confusing

if youve got some MSP buddies in the area try swapping out parts with them, try throwing one of their MAFs into your car and if it runs better then voila! does it happen the second you hit boost? or does it happen intermittently in boost? does it hesitate or is it literally like hitting a wall for a split second? cuz fuel cut would be the latter, if its just hesitation i would say its probably more related to spark delivery aka coils/plugs/wires. since you replaced coils and plugs i wouldnt be surprised if the wires are bad now since they are the weakest link in the chain they are probably seeing more stress than usual. wires are definitely something that could easily be tested with an MSP buddy

Help: I have a nasty boost/fuel cut that kicks in only on cold starts in third gear at WOT.. What could that possibly be from and why? - Side note:I put in new spark plugs about a month ago and it started about a couple days after that. Could it possibly be from that?

do you have any sort of engine management? how much boost are you running? search through the threads and youll probably find your answer its been covered here many times, plus do you drive an MSP or an MS3? cuz your avatar says MS3, totally different animal.

oh my bad I'm new to the forums and just noticed its a msp thread. I have a MS3 with the AP. My boost is staying inside the 18.5 psi that the map calls for. I just changed spark plugs a couple of weeks ago and noticed it happen right around then. My friend told me to put in these Boosch Platinum plugs and they haven't quit lived up to the hype he was telling me about. probably should just change them out for step 1 colder plugs..

wen my car was sputtering at positive boost it was because my coilpacks and plugs, now im running copper plugs, not sure whats good for ms3.

wen my car was sputtering at positive boost it was because my coilpacks and plugs, now im running copper plugs, not sure whats good for ms3.

Ok copper pkugs are not going to live long your your speed3 no! Get ngk iridium or denson iridium! You only need the 1step colder if you've got some mods in to where your engine would be heating up hotter then stock would normally allow. 1stwp coler is 100 colder from temp of regular plugs keeping your ms3 from ignighting them early due to the heat. Copper plugs iv heard have ruined in less then 2weeks be carful wuth the cheap stuff.

Also on the spark plugs check what your gapping them at I mean if your modded or bolted up using stock gap isbt gonna show any justice. Plus what fuel are you using and or aditives.

Back